piknockout's STU Auto-x Build Sponsored by Agile Auto: 8/23 Update - WDCR #7 - Page 20 - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
piknockout's STU Auto-x Build Sponsored by Agile Auto: 8/23 Update - WDCR #7
piknockout's STU Auto-x Build Sponsored by Agile Auto: 8/23 Update - WDCR #7
Go Back   STI Forums > > > piknockout's STU Auto-x Build Sponsored by Agile Auto: 8/23 Update - WDCR #7

Old 05-03-11, 05:33 AM   #191
piknockout
Advanced Contributor Level 1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Car: 2006 WRX STi
Fav Mod: Coming Soon
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

piknockout is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: piknockout's STU Auto-x Build - 2006 STi sponsored by Agile Auto: 4/12 - 2011 Upd

Sorry for the delayed response. I'm running Dunlop Star Specs in 245/40/17 (max width for AWD in STU). They're actually last year's tires with about 150+ runs on them, but they're still doing pretty well.

Tire pressures will ultimately depend on what your setup is (coilovers/spring rates/sway bars/alignment/car's behavior), but I was running 36f/30r. I ran them a little softer, along with softening the rebound, due to the slick asphalt and cool temperatures. For a hot, grippy day I would run 38f/32r. But again, your settings will depend on what your car is setup for and how it's handling.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-11, 05:35 PM   #192
piknockout

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Default Re: piknockout's STU Auto-x Build - 2006 STi sponsored by Agile Auto: 4/12 - 2011 Upd

From irish44j's autocross thread. Note middle paragraph, from the BMW CCA magazine. Thanks!

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 05-10-11, 10:44 AM   #193
piknockout

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

WDCR Event #1 at Fed Ex Field on April 17th, 2011

Results: http://www.wdcr-scca.org/SoloAutocross/EventsAX/SoloChampionship1/ChampionshipEvent1Results/tabid/1660/Default.aspx (must log in to view)

Itís amazing how quickly you write updates when you have a good weekend, but then how terribly long it takes when it doesnít go quite as well. Clearly a little bit of foreshadowing there, but here it goes.

This was the first points event for the DC Region at Fed Ex Field. The forecast called for clear skies and warmish temps in the low 60ís, but unfortunately it wasnít supposed to warm up until later in the day and nobody warned us about the wind. So instead it was in the low 50ís with a lot of windÖthank goodness I didnít wear shorts as I had originally planned! Shane and I were set to run in the first heat of the day, the lucky ones to help clean the course in the cooler weather and help break in the portions of the lot that were sealed last year. Last year they decided to seal large portions of the lot, turning it into a sheet of ice on cool/wet days last year. The surface has improved with time, but still isnít very good in cool conditions or in the early heats.

The layout for the course was fairly simple with some open/lazy slaloms with a few 90 degree-ish turns and 180ís, the worst of which was the showcase turn on a sealed portion of the lot. Due to the open nature of the acceleration zones, we used 3rd gear on two sections of the course, once shortly after the start that required a short shift to 3rd, the other coming down in the showcase turn area.

Shane went out first to set the mark and finished with a 55.455 +1, kind of conservative considering the condition of the lot and trying to get a feel for course. I was a little bit more aggressive in getting a feel for the course and severely overestimated how much grip the sealed sections would have. As a result, I nearly spun the car an got it extremely sideways on the way out and missing a gate. Then coming down into the finish walloms on another sealed section I got loose again and missed a wallom, then had to come to a stop before the finish due to a worker retrieving a cone in the finish. If only I had stayed on course. Thanks to the DNFís, there would be no rerun for me.

Second runs went a little smoother, but I went in too hot for the showcase turn and had to wait forever before I got grip again and ended up a little behind on the exit. I also didnít drive a couple of the slalom sections too well either. Managed a 54.999 clean to Shaneís 54.617. At this point with some poor initial runs and looking at our times, I knew there was a low 53 or high 52 out there and Shane agreed. Just had to calm down in a couple of spots and not be stupid.

On my 3rd run I still screwed up the showcase but was pretty on everywhere else. Unfortunately, I was a little too ďonĒ coming down the finish walloms and knocked a couple of them over for a +2 on a 53.710 run. Definitely a low 53/high 52 for us. Shane lucked out with downed cone or worker in the way, and thus got a rerun after getting a majority of the way through the course. So for his ďofficialĒ third run, Shane dropped some more time to get to a 54.166. At this point I wasnít feeling too bad since I had the faster raw time and knew where I had easily lost a half second or more on that turnaround. Gotta make it happen.

So fourth run needed to go well. I knew what I could do, just had to go and do it. And in my push to do it, I overshot and overdrove the turnaround again for the fourth time in a row. Stupid, stupid, stupid. To add insult to injury, I got a little too sideways in one of the slaloms and lost more time there, in addition to overshooting the left hander going into the finish walloms. The result was a slower run of 54.082, but clean and the run that would count for me. Still faster than Shane for the moment, but he still had his rerun in hand. I knew I had easily left a second out there with all my mistakes and Shane managed to clean up all those spots on his final run, coming through the lights with a 53.192 to take the win by about 0.9s clean and 0.6s raw. Ouch. His time was also good enough to take top PAX in the first heat, although it wasnít likely to hold with the improving afternoon conditions. Surprisingly though, he would only be passed by Mike Kline in an F125 kart in the second morning session and kept 2nd in PAX through the afternoon. Great work Shane! As for myself, I managed to hold 7th in PAX through the morning, dropping to 11th by the end of the day. Not a bad place to be, but definitely a huge opportunity lost. Something about Fed Ex and Shane kicking my arse. :unamused:

Results: 2nd in STU and 11th in PAX, about 0.9s out of 1st.

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-11, 01:12 PM   #194
piknockout

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

2011 Parts Installs and Upgrades

Having a car that’s been pretty well prepped means that there aren’t as many parts to install. I’ve done the majority of the heavy lifting in the last two years, so now it’s just down to the little things. I got some lift time over at Agile Auto and spent the day tweaking a few items.

I have the ARP wheel studs in the front and they’re not really needed in the rear, but I like the symmetry. Also if I ever do a track day at some point, I like knowing that I have the better studs on the car. If you’ve done your research, the studs are a pain to install in the rear. The right way to do it is to take the entire thing apart as if you’re doing a rear wheel bearing install. One of the easy ways is to drill the ABS sensor hole just a little bit bigger to fit the ARP studs through. This still isn’t too easy as you have to have the ginormous drill bit and also have to take all the links off of the knuckle to get to the hole. The easiest way? Grind down the edges of bolt just enough (very little material) just until they fit through the ABS sensor hole. I tested this with one of the stock bolts first for practice and then also to see how much material would be left. Looks to be plenty of material there, so I went through with it. Much easier to do and knocked it all out in a couple of hours.

Got the idea from this thread by 68Cadillac: http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1694965&highlight=easy+arp+wheel+ stud+install

68Cadillac’s picture, not mine. But mine looked like this.

Next on the list was to finally get a downturn to replace the rear muffler section. Hill at Agile ordered up a V-Band clip and some 3.5” piping, cut the pipe back to the exhaust hangers just in front of the rear wheels, then welded up some piping about a foot in length. Compared to the APS rear section, the new downturn saved about 20lbs of weight, with the piece itself weighing roughly 2.5lbs. And it sounds quite fantastic under WOT and just sitting there idling. With the V-Band clip, I should be able to swap out the downturn in about 10 minutes or so when I get to events. I only plan on using this for National events as I’m too lazy to swap it out for local events and it’s way too annoying to drive with it for local events. I’m also guessing that there may be another 5whp or so with the higher flow, but that’s just a guess. It looks pretty too.

After adding all the parts, we put the car up on Agile’s new alignment rack. I hadn’t had the car aligned since last year and I assumed that it hadn’t moved much, but looks like I was wrong. My alignment last year was set to -3.0f/-2.0r with zero toe all around (6 degrees of caster, not adjustable though). When we got it on the rack, the left side had slipped to -2.5f/-1.4r with the right side holding pretty steady at -3.2f/-2.0r. Consequently with the changes in the front, the toe was a little out of whack as well. Explains the bad inner tire wear in the front. I had originally planned to do -3.2f/-1.8r, but since the right side was already at -3.2f/-2.0r I decided to make the left side match it and then set the toe to zero all around. After an hour or so of tweaking (the rear is a real PITA with the slotted strut), we got it where we wanted it. I ran -3.2 up front in 2009, but dropped it to -3.0 when I got the extra caster from the offset bushings. But now that Agile has the alignment rack, I may start playing with settings a little more often. I don’t think the extra camber is going to hurt though.

Here’s the new rack with Hill’s car on it from the Spring Open House.

And today I ordered a few more goodies. It started off with a set of 15mm spacers for the front to fit the stuff coming afterwards. I picked them up from JM Fabrications outside of Philly. They make their spacers/parts when ordered. A friend of mine has an Evo and picked up a set for $90 shipped, but they have the Evo inner bore of 67mm. So I called to see if they could just change the inner bore to 57mm to accommodate the STi 56.1mm bore size. Takes about two weeks to get them and the guy I spoke with was extremely nice and helpful. No extra charge to change the bore size either! I may actually call him and tell them to change the bore to 56mm and that I can always sand down the inner portion just enough to fit. Hmm.

http://www.jmfabrications.com/store/products/EVO-Wheel-Spacers.html

Next on the list was to finally get those 18” wheels I’ve been talking about. I called up Tire Rack to see about the availability of the TR Motorsports MT1 that I had decided on, but they’re all out and the next production won’t be available until September. That doesn’t help. So then I decided to go with my backup plan and probably the better option anyways: the Enkei RPF1. I even found them in black from Good Win Racing, a Mazda shop that carries them in 18x9.5” et45 5x114.3 to fit the RX-8. The additional benefit too is the weight at only 17.5lbs, about the same weight as my 17x9 FN01-RC’s. So I called just to make sure that they had them in stock since Tire Rack doesn’t even carry that color/size combo. Sure enough, in stock. Ordered today and should have them next week!

http://www.good-win-racing.com/Mazda-Performance-Part/21-10512black.html

As far as fitment goes, Luke at Tire Rack has confirmed that the 18x9.5 et45 will clear the Brembos with a 15mm spacer. The only question is whether or not I will rub with the effective et30 offset. Right now I’m effectively at et32 with the 17x9 et42 DPT’s with 10mm spacers, but they’re also an inch shorter than the setup I’ll be on. Only one way to find out, right? I don’t foresee any issues though, and if so then I’ll just have to find a way to correct it now won’t I. I’ve heard that there’s the potential for rubbing the strut in the rear with the et45 setup with 9.5” wheels, but with the camber plates in the rear set all the way in, then adjusting with the slotted strut hole, I should have the extra clearance. When I tested the 18x9.5” et45 MT1’s previously, I had no rubbing issues in the rear, so it should be the same here.

Consequently I could have gone with the 18x9.5 et38 wheels with an 8mm spacer in the front, but I was afraid of potential rubbing on the fender in the rear. The et45 just seemed easier to deal with to ensure ease of fitment. For other Enkei fitment questions, refer to this post.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showpost.php?p=26736493&postcount=20

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
ok here is the definitive RPF1 fitment info when dealing with 2005 and newer STi Brembo brakes
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post

these fit with no brake clearance issues
37981056515BS 18X10.5 5-114 ET15
3798806535BS 18X8 5-114 ET35
3798856530BS 18X8.5 5-114 ET30
3798956515BS 18X9.5 5-114 ET15

these are the other fitments

3798106538BS 18X10 5-114 ET38 / 3 Millimeter spacer required
3798756548B 18X7.5 5-114 ET48 / 10 Millimeter spacer required
3798956538BS 18X9.5 5-114 ET38 / 10 Millimeter spacer required
3798906535BS 18X9 5-114 ET35 / 13 Millimeter spacer required
3798956545BS 18X9.5 5-114 ET45 / 15 Millimeter spacer required

To wrap these monsters, I’ve ordered up some 245/40/18 Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star Specs. I’ve been very happy with them thus far and don’t really have a reason to get something else. I’ll probably just keep them full tread as well since the set that I used locally that was full tread have been fast and had no issues.

I still need to order the last item on the list, a new camera. I’ve missed not having the video to really look at and analyze and I’m deciding between the Contour HD or the Contour HD GPS. The latter has some GPS tracking capabilities that can be used for some data analytics to go with the video and I believe the software keeps it all pretty synced as well. It can’t be used on the fly, but good for looking at after the fact. The GPS is about $100 more and probably worth it, but I should make a decision soon, we’ll see.

That’s it for this installment, look for pics of the new setup hopefully in time for the NJ Pro.

Last edited by piknockout; 05-17-11 at 11:25 AM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 05-10-11, 06:42 PM   #195
piknockout

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Default Re: piknockout's STU Auto-x Build - 2006 STi sponsored by Agile Auto: 5/10 - New Part

Oh yeah, I also forgot to add that I'm in on the group buy with Turn In Concepts for the STi Super Shifter Set. The set includes:

- Kartboy STi shift lever
- Kartboy 6MT front stay bushing
- Kartboy rear stay bushing
- TiC 6MT pivot bushing
- TiC Linkage bushings
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 05-11-11, 08:21 AM   #196
piknockout

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Default Re: piknockout's STU Auto-x Build - 2006 STi sponsored by Agile Auto: 5/10 - New Part

Must...put...credit card...down. After doing some high level research I found out that the Contour GPS, in addition to having the GPS functionality for only $80 more (on sale on Amazon.com for $329 with free shipping), the GPS also has a bluetooth chip in it that can be used with the Contour app for iphone/android so that you can see what the picture looks like as you are trying to line up the camera. You can also use the app to change the settings for the camera on the fly. I'm hoping that at a later date they'll update the firmware and app so that you can use your phone to view the videos themselves. Just seems like it may have a lot more future potential than the normal Contour HD for not much more money.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 05-17-11, 11:26 AM   #197
piknockout

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

A couple of notes. Weighed the rear section of the APS exhaust and found that the downturn saved me 20lbs. Not too shabby at all, should put me under 3,100lbs as long as I don't have too much gas in the car.

Wheels came in yesterday (they're pretty), 15mm spacers get here today, and I'm picking up the tires after work. Should have it all on the car by the end of the week, just in time for the NJ Pro. I'm also hoping that the Super Shifter Kit from TIC will be here by the end of the week, although I don't think I'll have a chance to install it before the weekend. Also thinking about picking up the Dashware program to do video editing with the data overlays, only $50 for the program so not bad at all. Still trying to figure out the data portion, but the video is nice.

Back to the RPF1's, the wheels fit in the back with about a finger worth of space to the coilover. Of note, I'm running the RCE T2's with camber plates pushed all the way to the inside and using the upper slotted portion of the strut for adjustment so that I have more space between the knuckle and coilover body. I tossed them on the front with 15mm spacers and it fit like a glove. Looked like there may be 1-2mm of space to the caliper. It's very close, but it fits.

Last edited by piknockout; 05-17-11 at 06:07 PM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 05-17-11, 12:23 PM   #198
piknockout

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

WDCR Event #2 at Fed Ex Field on May 15th, 2011

Results (Must log in to view): User Log In

Video (Run starts 30 seconds in): YouTube - WDCR 2011 Event #2 - 83 STU

I hadnít really noticed too much, but itís been about a month since the last event Iíve been at. I had originally planned to do the Dover Test and Tune, but things came up and took it off the list. But I was happy to get back into the swing of things with a few new goodies (as previously posted), the best of which was finally being able to get quality video from the event. We tried it in the rear window, but too much contrast from inside/outside which made the outside look way too bright. So we used the video on the side of the car, which was nice to see how close we were to cones, while still being able to see the head and hands a bit. I need to work on a mount to put just behind the driverís shoulder. All in due time. More on the event.

So the forecast for the day called for a 70% chance of thunderstorms with rain throughout the day and storms starting at 4pm (looking at the weather forecast at 9am mind you). Combined with the sealed portions of the lot, I was expecting it to be absolutely spintastic. Since the local use Dunlops on the DPTís are down to almost no tread, I tossed on the 3-4 event 6/32 shaved Dunlops from Nationals that are on the FN01RCís. They actually have some tread and should be able to handle the water. In light of the water mother nature had prepared for us, I left my water sprayer at home and decided sunscreen was pointless. Instead, we were welcomed to 80 degrees of sun, heat and humidity: pretty much near perfect conditions. Not that Iím complaining per se, we managed to borrow a water sprayer, but my neck/face would have appreciated some sunscreen and I would have loved to not waste the good tires. But it was a nice day, so Iíll just shut up now. It just means that I need to be more prepared.

The course was designed by Ian Baker, a fast STS CRX driver. It had a lot of nice elements to it, most of which would destroy you if you didnít look ahead. A fairly technical course and one that I enjoyed. It also had a couple of acceleration zones that put us banging on the limiter in 2nd, but not enough for 3rd. Would have been a good test day for those new 18ís. Oh well, the testing will come. One last additional note for the day, Shane finally got to the event before I did. Unfortunately, itís because he thought we ran in the morning and showed up at 7am, but didnít need to be there until 10:30am. So Shane had a lack of sleep and then made it worse by not eating all day. I think that may have contributed to the dayís performance.

First runs were nothing crazy, mostly just figuring out how much grip the sealant had at the time (which was actually a lot in the warmth) and whether we would need 3rd gear (which we didnít). Shane came in with a time of 50.847 but +1 through his favorite element: the walloms. Theyíve become his greatest enemy since last yearís Nationals. My first run was fairly uneventful, just figuring stuff out. I was a little hesitant on the sealant and was afraid to push too much and then overdrove a couple of spots. Finished with a 50.385 clean to hold the lead in STU after first runs. We had more competition at the event as well from Iman (bdi) who drove down from Philly for the event. Always a fun time driving with Iman. His first run was a little off at a 51.730 +1, but he always improves later on.

Second runs were still more of the same, trying to push it a little more and do it in the right places. Shane dropped another half second to get down to a 50.323 but +1 again, hitting the exact same cone in the wallom. I have a feeling that this threw him off a bit, but he didnít hit it again the rest of the day. On my second run, I tried to focus more on looking ahead and in the process hit a dumb cone that I shouldnít have been that close to. Finished with a slightly improved 50.034 +1 that I would have loved to have sitting in my back pocket. Iman dropped some significant time as well as cleaning it up with a 50.589 to sit in 2nd for the moment. Clearly I needed to drop some time.

Shane must have been hitting a wall at this point and on his 3rd run had a nearly identical time as his second run, except that it was clean at a 50.311. Watching him drive, he was taking an extra wide line into the walloms to avoid hitting the cone again. It worked, but it definitely slowed him down a bit with the extra distance. But despite that, his time was good enough to take the lead in STU by 0.074 over my first run. At this point, everything somehow clicked for me. I went out and was hitting all my marks without thinking too much. I was banging the limiter after the tight chute going up the hill in the start/showcase area, hitting it going through the walloms, on the open area leading up to the slaloms, and the sweeping left hander going down the hill. Everything was on pointÖwell, almost everything. Looking at the video it looks like I may have slowed down just a little too much going into the slaloms. As a result, I turned in just a little too early and ran over the second cone with my tire (see video for clear evidentiary proof). Such a shame too because that run felt great, and was backed up by the clock showing a 49.251, which was useless to me with the cone attached. Dang it, at least I have one more chance to screw it up. Iman decided that he didnít care about improving and instead did some Ken Block impressions going into the finish and taking out four of the finish cones. It gave us all a good laugh though.

And now final runs, one last chance to get it done. Crunch TimeÖor as I like to call it for myself, Crumble Time. Shane took his final run and was looking pretty good, although a little wide in spots, especially the walloms. He made a similar mistake as I did on my 3rd run, but in the finish slalom. He slowed down just a little too much and turned in a hair too early on the LAST cone on course and nailed it before going through the finish. A shame too as he dropped a few more tenths down to a 50.061 +1. I think the lack of sleep and food really hurt him Sunday, but Iím guessing that itís a lesson learned. Going back to the Crumble Time reference, on my final run I got all the way to the third element on course before hitting a stupid cone that I wasnít close to all day. I confirmed it by checking my rear view, saw it laying down and ran a little wide going into the tight chute. Screw it, just try to get a solid time down. I need to at least back up my 3rd run to show it wasnít a fluke. Didnít hit anything else on the run and finished with a 49.571 +1. That means that Shane won the day by 0.074s and now has two wins with WDCR to my zero wins. Today was a great opportunity to tie it up and I choked. Drats. Adding insult to injury, Iman comes through the lights on his final run with a clean 50.375, knocking me back to 3rd in STU with a time that was only 0.010s faster. As a matter of fact, STU was pretty tight overall with 1st-5th being separated by only 4 tenths with Norvell Johnston and Jon Moon making some great improvements. I think Vell can thank his new Agile STU tune from Hill for some of that help.

Results: 3rd in STU and 13th in PAX.

More insult to injury: my third run would have been good enough for 2nd in PAX. Opportunity absolutely missed. But Iím not too upset since I was still quick and I didnít hit the cones by that much, all after being off for a month. Just have to keep driving and improving. As I keep telling myself, this is all just practice for the big show, which is where it really counts. Next up is the NJ Pro Solo followed by the Lincoln Tour/Pro in a borrowed ride, then off to the Delaware National Tour. Should have a good chance to see how these new 18ís work, or donít work. Testing will tell I guess.

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 05-17-11, 01:06 PM   #199
T3h_Clap
I Solve Problems
Feedback Score: 14 reviews

Fav Mod: TiC SST's and Vorshlag Plates
My Subaru Parts for sale

T3h_Clap will become famous soon enoughT3h_Clap will become famous soon enough
Default Re: piknockout's STU Auto-x Build Sponsored by Agile Auto: 5/17 Event Update (with vi

Sweet to have some confirmation from Luke what I already had figured out. Now when people doubt me I can say Luke said so, they'll believe me then.

you shouldn't have inboard issues at the +30mm and even when lowered i was running a 265 at a +30mm offset without issues inboard or outboard (-3.0 or so camber)

with the 245 you'll have plenty of room I think. Akshay was running RCE T2s with a 18x9.5 +45mm and 265s without rubbing after some adjustments to the plates/bolts like you've mentioned. (rear specifically)

Can't wait to see the RPF1s on the car. I've got a soft spot for big RPF1s on STi's (biased spot maybe? ).

Last edited by T3h_Clap; 05-17-11 at 01:23 PM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 05-17-11, 05:31 PM   #200
piknockout

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Default Re: piknockout's STU Auto-x Build Sponsored by Agile Auto: 5/17 Event Update (with vi

Thanks! I'll post pics soon. Quick note though. They will not fit with 10 mm spacers at all. I thought the ones I had were 10mm, but apparently not. But they do barely fit with 15mm spacers. Should have it all mounted tomorrow.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement