piknockout's STU Auto-x Build Sponsored by Agile Auto: 8/23 Update - WDCR #7 - Page 19 - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
piknockout's STU Auto-x Build Sponsored by Agile Auto: 8/23 Update - WDCR #7
piknockout's STU Auto-x Build Sponsored by Agile Auto: 8/23 Update - WDCR #7
Go Back   STI Forums > > > piknockout's STU Auto-x Build Sponsored by Agile Auto: 8/23 Update - WDCR #7

Old 04-12-11, 12:41 PM   #181
jordanretro1223
Advanced Mastery Level III
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Fav Mod: Stance GR+
My Subaru Parts for sale

jordanretro1223 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: piknockout's STU Auto-x Build - 2006 STi sponsored by Agile Auto: 4/12 - 2011 Upd

Woot! My ride along with Shane was a lot of fun. Thanks gain, Josh!
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-11, 01:26 PM   #182
AndrewSS
Advanced Mastery Level IV
Feedback Score: 21 reviews

Car: 05 Subaru WRX STi
Fav Mod: KW's
My Subaru Parts for sale

AndrewSS is on a distinguished road
Default Re: piknockout's STU Auto-x Build - 2006 STi sponsored by Agile Auto: 4/12 - 2011 Upd

Quote:
Originally Posted by piknockout View Post
Nothing crazy, still rolling on the 17's for now. The 18's should be purchased in the next month or so.

Here's one from this past weekend at Hershey. I'll have video in the next month once I pick up a Contour HD. I've just been lazy.

looks like youre about to murder that poor cone
Whiteline big sway bars f&r |Vorshlag front plates | Group-N mounts | KW V3's with 500/448 | TiC Klunk Killer | Borla XR-1 Catback | Invidia v2 Catless DP | Hawk HP+ f&r | Goodridge SS Lines| ATE Super blue fluid | 5zigen FN01R-C 17x9 | Dunlop direzza 255/40/17 | jva front lip |
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 04-12-11, 07:14 PM   #183
SubieEngineer
Feedback Score: 11 reviews

Fav Mod: #576 IS SOLD!!!
My Subaru Parts for sale

SubieEngineer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewSS View Post
looks like youre about to murder that poor cone
Those little orange bastards have it coming... Gettin' all in people's way.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-11, 05:21 AM   #184
piknockout
Advanced Contributor Level 1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Car: 2006 WRX STi
Fav Mod: Coming Soon
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

piknockout is an unknown quantity at this point

It looks like it, but I actually cleared that one pretty easily.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 04-13-11, 08:18 AM   #185
piknockout

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Susquehanna Event #1 at Hershey Park on April 9th, 2011

Results: http://www.scca-susq.com/results/2011/11-04-09-axresults.html#pax

With the wifey out of town again, I was able to get another double event weekend, this time at Hershey Park with the Susquehanna Region. The lot is quite a good size, with most times in the 60 second range. I believe the course was designed by Sam Strano, so you knew it would be quality. One portion of the course did require 3rd gear, so I got a little bit of shifting practice. For this event I had John W (ButtDyno) codriving with me again while his new (to him) Evo was still being worked on, a future STU car with some Motons, swaybars, and SSRís waiting to go on once the car gets its transmission.

Conditions were a little on the cool side, with a lot of rain overnight, so the first heat guys got pretty shafted with a wet course that got sort of dry by the end of the heat. Luckily we were in the second heat with effectively dry pavement. Despite the dryness, it was still fairly cool and warned John that the car would be a little loose on the first run. But of course he just HAD to get a spin in the books at least once for the day. This time it was a throttle lift spin as opposed to an on throttle spin, so he managed the power a lot better. I got my first run out of the way, overdriving a few portions of the course (go figure) and put in a 61.599.

Johnís second run went a lot smoother with a 62.314, but he must have taken a page out of my book and nailed three cones along the way. On my second run I got a little to power hungry and got on throttle a little too much too early, swinging the car back and forth trying to get it under control, and knocking down a couple of cones with the door as I went into them sideways. Iím actually quite surprised that I didnít spin it, but it was entertaining and I think John enjoyed it during his ridealong. Even with the near spinout I managed to drop a couple of tenths so there was a lot of time out there to be had.

Only two runs left, so John and I needed to put down some quality clean runs. John was a little hesitant in spots, but got a good clean 61.083 to take the lead in STU. I followed his run with a 60.786 clean to retake the lead and move into the top PAX position (at the time). I was still overdriving some spots so how about I try to be more patient this time in spots (sound familiar?). John again dropped time as he continued to get more comfortable with the car, knocking off another half second down to a 61.280. On my final run I was on point. I was slowing down in the right spots, staying clean, and not driving stupidlyÖuntil the last corner before the finish, a 90 degree tightish left hander just after a fast 3rd gear slalom. It was here that I didnít look ahead enough and misjudged my speed getting into it, giving up speed as I was pushing out towards the wall, then kicking up a couple of cones with the rear as I was finally able to get back on the gas. That run was a 60.397 +2, but I think I could have pulled into the 59.9xxís with a better setup on the left hander. I guess weíll never know, but I would have to stand on my 60.786 which was good enough for first in STU and first in PAX (at the time).

Still to run in the third heat were a few fast drivers with a shot of knocking me off the top: Pat Griffith in the ESP Barney Camaro, Jason Burns in his beautiful new C6 Grand Sport Corvette, and Sam Strano doing some testing on his 2011 GT with some ESP mods. I had already resigned myself to the fact that I was going down, especially after leaving so much time on the table. Unfortunately Sam has been having issues with the ECU on the Mustang and it decided that it wanted to stop running completely near the end of his first run. Patís first two runs were plagued by cones and then he let Sam jump in his ride to get some runs in. Samís first run gets fuel starved and he had to back off and he straight lined the course to get the car back to paddock. Unfortunately more fuel wasnít the answer and both he and Pat had to back off on their third runs as well. Today would be the day where everyone would out PAX Sam (probably the only time too) since he finished with all DNFís. Meanwhile I had already done the math on the time Jason needed to out PAX me: 59.654. After he laid down a 60.043 +2 on his first run, I knew it was all over. He took over top PAX on his second run with a 59.572, then made it clear that it was his by putting down a 59.061 to take it by 0.5s PAX. I really wish I could redo that last left hander. Oh well, my first top PAX would have to wait for another day.

Results: 1st in STU and 2nd in PAX behind Jason Burns in his SS Grand Sport Corvette.

After the event was over, I had a great discussion with Sam after he commented ďOh the things I could do with you at an Evo school.Ē He mentioned that while watching from grid, he could tell that I wasnít looking ahead by looking through the corner. I was glancing ahead and knew where the course was, but I wasnít truly finding where I wanted the car to be and setting it up correctly ahead of time. He could tell because my head wasnít really turning at all prior to the corner. Definitely something to work on and I know I need to take an Evo school to get those bad habits out of the way. A big thank you to Sam for taking the time to talk with me, great insights that guy has. Perhaps thatís why he has all those really cool jackets, a different one for every day of the week.

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 04-13-11, 08:19 AM   #186
piknockout

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Philly Region Event #2 at Citizenís Bank Park on April 10th, 2011

Results: http://phillyscca.com/solo2/results/2011/SO041011.shtml

(ignore the FJC showing as top PAX since it only ran ĺ of the course and needs to be fixed)

The great thing about doing events two days in a row is that you have a better chance of correcting mistakes that you made the previous day as itís all fresh in your head. That was the theme for Sundayís event, trying to correct my bad habits. Shane was back in the codriving seat for this event to try and kick my arse again (as he tends to do when heís not randomly coning out).

The course that was laid out was the perfect course for me that day. One, it highlighted the need for patience and really looking ahead/through the corner. Two, it was an STU/BSP/SM kind of course in that there were multiple slow turnarounds opening up into full throttle sections, and the STi digs out of this stuff very well. Three, it really highlighted why Iíll be buying 18ís. We were on the limiter hard in a couple of spots where it was a thin line whether to shift to 3rd, but with these sections followed by hard braking zones (very similar to Nats), I just couldnít justify the shift. So while we left it in 2nd for the entire run, some extra gearing would have been perfect. And with more National courses picking up more speed, especially where you canít just leave it in 3rd, I think it will be paramount to setup the car on 18ís to get those extra tenths. But I digress.

So Shane goes out on his first run and pulls a typical Shane first run: a little wild and off course. Riding along, he went wide through one turnaround and picked up the wrong pointer cone and slightly shortcut the next right hander. First run during the first heat on a coolish day on a lot that hadnít been run yet this year. Weíll let it slide. And then in typical Josh fashion, I way overdrove several of the turnarounds, but none as bad as the last right hander before the left into the finish. Went crazy wide into marbles, understeered like crazy, then kicked the rear end out on power, pitched it the other way and my run was done. Let off before hitting the finish line. But at least we got those first runs out of the way.

Second runs start to look a little better. Shane comes in with a 76.963 but +1. For my second run I was lucky to get Tony Savini to ride along with me (2009 GS Nat Champ and Evo Instructor Ė taking Samís advice!). Tony has been a big help to me throughout the years with teaching me how to do a good course walk and read the course, as well as riding along telling me how much I suck. I spoke with him about my conversation with Sam on the previous day and what I thought I needed to work on. So my goal for this run was to intentionally look way ahead through the corners and set up better with more patience. Overall the plan worked fairly well, except that I was looking too far ahead. Tony mentioned that I was a little too far off a lot of cones on the turnarounds, which I attribute to looking too far ahead. I had really overcooked the finish section which required you to really look ahead, so he (properly) yelled at me for that. Finished my second run with a 76.508 +2.

For our actual third runs, Shane and I both ended up with reruns after he stopped for a downed cone and I got red flagged after someone took out half of the finish cones. So for our competition third runs, Shane continued to get faster with a 76.068 but +4. But you just knew Shane was going to pull off a clean, fast run. He doesnít normally break under the pressure like I do. Tony rode with me again on this run and I worked on looking through the corners, but not so far ahead that I missed my turn in. Overall mostly successful, but I didnít look ahead enough in the right hander going into the third lot and blew the finish as well, but not nearly as bad as I did previously. Result was a clean 76.278 to take the STU lead. But of course, there was still one more run to go.

This time Shane brings Tony along as well to get some feedback on what he could improve on. Tonyís feedback was that heís really smooth and patient (yep, confirmed), but that he likes to double pump some corners. Iíve yelled at him in the past for this, especially on slaloms. I just tell him that he has commitment issues. But despite his double pumping, Shane knocks off more time and cleans it up with a 75.892 to take the STU lead and the PAX lead. Now the question was whether I could actually take all the feedback I had received and put it all together in one run, something Iíve failed to do on way too many occasions. But somehow, some way, I managed to do it on my last run. I hit my braking zones, I looked ahead, I was patient and didnít overdrive. The reward for this was a time of 75.413 to beat Shane heads up (finally!) and take first in PAX for the first heat over Simmons in the 2011 WRX, whoís been driving out of his mind with that car.

The man I have to thank for that, Tony, still had to do his runs in his AS C5 FRC Corvette. And with the friendly ďRadomin PAX adjustmentĒ for AS, combined with his fantastic driving skill, I knew he had a great shot to steal top PAX away. But luckily for me he fell just 0.006s in PAX behind, giving me my first ever top PAX!!! Woot woot!

Results: 1st in STU and 1st in PAX!!!

Hopefully I can build on what I learned this weekend and be able to apply it more consistently and earlier in runs. Iím going to try and take Samís advice and get some Evo school education and practice to further improve. And even though the car feels great, I think the move to 18ís will be helpful overall. Only one way to find out though: buy them and test. More to come on that in the future. Next event is this weekend with WDCR at Fed Ex Field, going to try and keep the momentum going.

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 04-15-11, 08:10 PM   #187
SubieEngineer
Feedback Score: 11 reviews

Fav Mod: #576 IS SOLD!!!
My Subaru Parts for sale

SubieEngineer is on a distinguished road

Congrats on the class win and best PAX!
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 04-16-11, 10:11 AM   #188
AndrewSS
Advanced Mastery Level IV
Feedback Score: 21 reviews

Car: 05 Subaru WRX STi
Fav Mod: KW's
My Subaru Parts for sale

AndrewSS is on a distinguished road

nice drivin
Whiteline big sway bars f&r |Vorshlag front plates | Group-N mounts | KW V3's with 500/448 | TiC Klunk Killer | Borla XR-1 Catback | Invidia v2 Catless DP | Hawk HP+ f&r | Goodridge SS Lines| ATE Super blue fluid | 5zigen FN01R-C 17x9 | Dunlop direzza 255/40/17 | jva front lip |
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 04-18-11, 11:53 AM   #189
piknockout

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Thanks! This past weekend wasn't quite as good unfortunately, but I'll try to get the update written anyways.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 04-18-11, 12:53 PM   #190
Silver 226
Becoming A Master Contributor
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Car: 08
Fav Mod: learning to stop over cooking the slow corners
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Silver 226 is on a distinguished road

Nice job taking PAX FTD.

What tires + pressures were you running to net that result?
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement