piknockout's STU Auto-x Build Sponsored by Agile Auto: 8/23 Update - WDCR #7 - Page 18 - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
piknockout's STU Auto-x Build Sponsored by Agile Auto: 8/23 Update - WDCR #7
piknockout's STU Auto-x Build Sponsored by Agile Auto: 8/23 Update - WDCR #7
Go Back   STI Forums > > > piknockout's STU Auto-x Build Sponsored by Agile Auto: 8/23 Update - WDCR #7

Old 10-08-10, 11:02 AM   #171
piknockout
Advanced Contributor Level 1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Car: 2006 WRX STi
Fav Mod: Coming Soon
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

piknockout is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: piknockout's STU Auto-x Build - 2006 STi sponsored by Agile Auto: 10/4 - 18x9.5's

Finally, my video from Nationals. Shane borrowed a Go Pro which got good video, but sound sucks. I'm hoping to get a Contour HD and set something up inside the car next year.

YouTube - 2010 SCCA Nationals
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-10, 01:11 PM   #172
Thorium06
Advanced Contributor Level 2
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Car: 05 AW STi
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Thorium06 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: piknockout's STU Auto-x Build - 2006 STi sponsored by Agile Auto: 10/4 - 18x9.5's

Nice videos, I wish the Go Pro would provide more sound, they are always so quiet. My buddy even drilled holes in the outer casing for his, but it didnt make much difference.

Those Nationals courses really were wide open, I feel like if I had gone I would have been in third most of the time. I like them open like that, but it seems like they are getting away from what it used to be, I dunno...

Of the other cars in STU, how "prepared" for the class would you say yours is at compared to the competitors?

Oh, when you were out there did you happen to see the grey Evo in SM run?
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 10-09-10, 05:48 PM   #173
AndrewSS
Advanced Mastery Level IV
Feedback Score: 21 reviews

Car: 05 Subaru WRX STi
Fav Mod: KW's
My Subaru Parts for sale

AndrewSS is on a distinguished road

nice stu car dood
Whiteline big sway bars f&r |Vorshlag front plates | Group-N mounts | KW V3's with 500/448 | TiC Klunk Killer | Borla XR-1 Catback | Invidia v2 Catless DP | Hawk HP+ f&r | Goodridge SS Lines| ATE Super blue fluid | 5zigen FN01R-C 17x9 | Dunlop direzza 255/40/17 | jva front lip |
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-10, 06:36 AM   #174
piknockout

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewSS View Post
nice stu car dood
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorium06 View Post
Of the other cars in STU, how "prepared" for the class would you say yours is at compared to the competitors?

Oh, when you were out there did you happen to see the grey Evo in SM run?
I don't know exactly how prepared the other cars were, but quite a few were very well prepped...primarily thinking of Richard Jung and Geoff Clark in their Evos. I'm sure the others at the top were decently prepped also.

As far as my car goes, there's not a whole lot left that I can really do to the car. I know the car prepped to the point that it can compete at the very top. Other than trying to maximize the parts already on the car, the only real area to try and change are the brakes. I'm hoping to get some lighter two piece rotors next year to go with the extra power from the partially blocked wastegate and the taller tires. But other than that, it's pretty prepped to the rules.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 04-12-11, 10:36 AM   #175
piknockout

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Well, 2011 is here and I guess I should start updating this thread now that the season has finally begun!

2011 Season Prep and Plans

Well, the prep work was pretty easy since I havenít done anything to the car this year. The only thing I had to do was give it a quick wash before going to the first event, but I do have some plans on minor changes for this season.

I got the greatest news the other day: Agile Automotive is getting an alignment rack!!! It should be there and set up in a couple of weeks, meaning I can play around with alignment settings a little bit more often. Current settings are -3.0f/-2.0r but I think front end grip could be improved and also get the car to rotate a little better and put down power better, so I think Iím going to just tweak it slightly to -3.2f/-1.8 rear and see what that does. The car feels great now and I could be fine just leaving it where it is, but with this opportunity now available I need to take advantage of it. At this point itís about fine tuning the setup, not making drastic changesÖIím no ButtDyno. ;-)

The biggest planned change for 2011 though is potentially (and more than likely) moving to an 18Ē wheel setup running 245/40/18ís to gain roughly an additional 2mph at the top end of 2nd gear. While that may not sound like a lot, as much as I was on the rev limiter at Nationals, being able to drive 2mph faster in at least 5 spots for the distance I had to travel would have surely added up to multiple tenths of a second. This is crucial given how close the competition is and how the course design seems to be playing out at Nationals. They seem to really target that 60mph mark, but not necessarily for sustained periods of time where 3rd gear could be held for a while. At this point Iím sure youíre thinking about the lost acceleration on the bottom end with the taller diameter and more weight. With the torque that the car is putting out, I donít have an concerns about a significant loss in this area. While there will technically be some loss, I think the gains at the top end are worth it when you consider that they donít really slow you down too much at Nationals. It might hurt locally, but that doesnít bother me.

The main wheel that Iím considering is the TR Motorsports MT1 in 18x9.5Ē et45 at 19lbs which fit with no issues whatsoever. I like these due to the relatively low weight and price. I ran these in a test with RE01Rís to check for fitment and also to get a feel for top end speed. No real data though on whether it was truly faster from a lap time perspective, but it was at least somewhat informative. The only issue I see is whether the 9.5Ē width will be a good or bad thing with the 245ís. Also they only come in gunmetal and I really want black.

The other wheel option is the Enkei RPF1 in black in 18x9.5Ē et45 at 17.5lbs (only 0.5lbs more than the 17x9 FN01RCís). I absolutely love this wheel, especially in black. To run it I would need to run a 15mm spacer up front instead of the 10mm spacer Iím running now. That would put the front offset at a +30 as opposed to the +32 that Iím at now and the +35 that I ran when I tested the MT1ís previously with the taller diameter tires. These are also pricier and I could run into issues if the +30 is too much with the taller 18ís as it relates to rubbing the front fenders. More than likely I would save the money/headaches and go with what I know works.

Of course now after getting some more feedback from John Hale (AustinTX), Iím starting to reconsider this whole 18Ē wheel/tire strategy. Hmmm. That discussion is occurring near the end of the STU Setup thread on NASIOC if anyone's interested.

The last upgrade is going to be a new in-car camera. Iím highly considering going with the Contour HD due to its small size, good video quality, and ease use/mounting options. I could even do some great shots attached to the helmet ala Simmons-Racing. Last yearís videos kind of sucked and I want to get some better quality to analyze them better afterwards.

As far as the schedule goes I plan on doing a full WDCR season, a decent amount of Philly events, the occasional random local event, NE Divs, Dover Tour, NJ Pro, and a yet to be figured out Pro and/or Tour. Iím considering the Lincoln NT/Pro weekend and also Oscada. Weíll see what happens though. Iíll also have Shane Chinnon-Rhoden co-driving my car again this year and hope to not keep getting my arse handed to me on a constant basis. I need to learn to be a little tighter/tidier/patient this year. I know what I need to do, just need to do it. Should be a fun battle though. Some updates on a few completed events coming up soon.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 04-12-11, 10:37 AM   #176
piknockout

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

NCC BMW CCA Autocross at Blue Crabs Stadium on March 19th, 2011

Results: http://forum.nccbmwcca.org/downloads.php?do=file&id=37&act=down

I had never been to the Blue Crabs Stadium before or run with the BMW club, but I had heard good things about both and thought I would give it a go since the wifey was out of town and the weather was supposed to be pretty nice. My normal co-driver Shane was driving Vellís STi and helping him with his setup, while I had John W (ButtDyno) driving my car since I owe him about 10+ co-drives for letting me drive (and almost crash) the WRX for about half a season once I sold the old Sentra.

The lot is a decent size, but thereís only so much that can be done with it. The course included a crossover and quite a few sweepers, with a couple of slow and patient spots in the middle. Surprisingly, no slaloms of any sort. But this is probably a good thing since during my offseason reflection and watching videos of both Shane, Strano, and other fast guys, I realized that I really needed to work on patience and cutting down distance. With the way BMW club does classing for non-BMWís, I was competing in the X2 class with about 21 other non-BMWís, with the goal of trying to get FTD for the day since there arenít usually many well prepped cars at these events. Pat Griffith had trailered in the Barney ESP Camaro for the event, so it wasnít going to be easy.

Another one of the benefits of running this event is that we got 5 runs, which was a good thing since thereís some rust that needed to get knocked off and the STi hadnít been driven in anger since November. And to be honest, I had forgotten how much fun it was to drive at an autocross. Great power, kicking out the rear end, four wheel drifting out of a cornerÖnow I remember. However, John was not quite used to this sort of power and silly diffs. I warned him about the on throttle oversteer, but it didnít stop him from spinning it around a couple of times. But thatís okay, heís not the first one to do that.

I managed put down a pretty decent 43.544 on my first run, but couldnít quite get any lower the next couple of runs. The car felt a little pushy, so we decided to drop the compression down a click in the front which made a good bit of difference. But I think a lot of the pushiness had to do with my own overdrivingÖwhich I tend to do, especially going into sweepers. And letís face it, compared to a real sports car, the STi canít exactly handle that well. Through three runs, Pat was sitting on FTD with a 43.282, an achievable time. Pat had no improvement on his fourth run, but I clawed closer with a 43.292 while still overdriving a bit. Now it was down to final runs.

Patís last run was a smoker too, finishing with a 42.994, an improvement of about 0.4s. I knew I was losing time in the middle of the course by not being patient, I just needed to get it done on the last run. Shane had finished his runs about a tenth back at this point. Normally I take my last run solo, but I figured I would bring Shane along to yell at me if needed. Apparently having him in the car made me want to be patient and I nailed the middle section. Shane himself was beyond surprised when it happened, as it is not my nature to do so. We came flying into the finish and stopped the clock with an FTD winning 42.854 on the last run. Not by much, but it was enough to take it. Not a terrible way to start off the season.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 04-12-11, 10:37 AM   #177
piknockout

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Philly Event #1 at Dover International Speedway on March 20th, 2011

Results: http://www.phillyscca.com/solo2/results/2011/SO032011.shtml

Time for the first “real” event of the year, this time at Dover International Speedway, the site of the Delaware National Tour. The lot is a great size, although a little bumpy in a couple of spots and gravely in a couple more. But overall a fast and enjoyable course, just happy I didn’t have to go in the first heat. As it was, Shane and I were running in the second heat after Simmons and some of the other guys cleared the course. The course included a high speed section (requiring 3rd gear) going over the biggest bump on the lot, followed by a braking zone just before a quick right/left…a section of the course that I never felt that I got right.

After first heat, Simmons was holding on to top PAX for his first event with the 2011 WRX on r-comps, shocks, and swaybar. Needless to say, I think it’s a pretty good start for the car! Simmons raw time of a 47.238 meant that we needed a raw time of 46.054 to edge him out. Shane went first, with his run being fairly interesting. On cold tires, Shane was sliding it all over the place and was a little “off”, finishing the run with a 49.141 +3. Not a typical Shane run…okay, perhaps a typical first run for Shane. But at least he didn’t miss the start gate this time. With warmed up tires, I was able to go out and put down a 46.978 +2 on a less than quality run. I could surely knock down some time and have a shot at Simmons. Shane dropped some time on his second run, but is dirty again with a +2. Meanwhile I manage to get a clean run in, but a slow one with a 47.479 after going in way too hot for the right/left after the high speed section. Should be an easy fix.

Now is when Shane does what he does, laying down massively fast times. And once again, he makes it happen…sort of. He managed to drop all the way down to a 46.260 but hit a silly cone in the middle of the slalom section. But despite the cone, blazingly fast. No doubts that he’ll clean it up on his last run. Meanwhile I head out and manage to drop some time by a few tenths down to a 47.141, but I’m not improving from my first run. The problem? Well, it all goes back to that whole patience and not looking ahead thing. My run was pretty solid, up until the finishing section where there’s a tight, sweeping section that I just completely over drove. Looking back at some video, it was clear that this was my downfall. I went in too hot and the car just plowed wide. How about I don’t do that again.

Final runs and Shane manages to pop another easy stupid cone, this one early on in the run. Knowing this, he slowed down through most of the course to save the tires, so his day was done unfortunately. It’s a rare instance that Shane cones out. I’ll take the “win”, but being nearly a second off doesn’t really make it feel like that. My last run is just a repeat of my third run, except that I hit a cone early and over drove even worse than I did before. Ugh, so frustrating to go slower throughout the day. The problem is that I knew what the issue was, but couldn’t make myself fix it. Gotta keep working on that or I might as well just pack up and go home. But at least I think I know what my issues are and need to work on them.

Results: 1st in STU and 12th in PAX
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 04-12-11, 10:38 AM   #178
piknockout

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

I have two (very productive) events from this past weekend to post up, but I'll hold off for now so that it's not an absolutely ginormous wall o' text.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 04-12-11, 10:41 AM   #179
T3h_Clap
I Solve Problems
Feedback Score: 14 reviews

Fav Mod: TiC SST's and Vorshlag Plates
My Subaru Parts for sale

T3h_Clap will become famous soon enoughT3h_Clap will become famous soon enough
Default Re: piknockout's STU Auto-x Build - 2006 STi sponsored by Agile Auto: 4/12 - 2011 Upd

we need photos!!
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 04-12-11, 10:52 AM   #180
piknockout

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Default Re: piknockout's STU Auto-x Build - 2006 STi sponsored by Agile Auto: 4/12 - 2011 Upd

Nothing crazy, still rolling on the 17's for now. The 18's should be purchased in the next month or so.

Here's one from this past weekend at Hershey. I'll have video in the next month once I pick up a Contour HD. I've just been lazy.

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement