piknockout's STU Auto-x Build Sponsored by Agile Auto: 8/23 Update - WDCR #7 - Page 17 - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
piknockout's STU Auto-x Build Sponsored by Agile Auto: 8/23 Update - WDCR #7
piknockout's STU Auto-x Build Sponsored by Agile Auto: 8/23 Update - WDCR #7
Go Back   STI Forums > > > piknockout's STU Auto-x Build Sponsored by Agile Auto: 8/23 Update - WDCR #7

Old 10-05-10, 08:00 AM   #161
T3h_Clap
I Solve Problems
Feedback Score: 14 reviews

Fav Mod: TiC SST's and Vorshlag Plates
My Subaru Parts for sale

T3h_Clap will become famous soon enoughT3h_Clap will become famous soon enough
Default Re: piknockout's STU Auto-x Build - 2006 STi sponsored by Agile Auto: 10/4 - 18x9.5's

Yeah, the spacer would be required with that high an offset. Not like it matters they fit great at the +35mm effective offest up front.

Are you going to jump to the AD08 in a 245/40/18? The 9.5s should stretch the 40 series just enough to not lose much sidewall stiffness.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-10, 08:13 AM   #162
Thorium06
Advanced Contributor Level 2
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Car: 05 AW STi
Fav Mod: Coming Soon
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Thorium06 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: piknockout's STU Auto-x Build - 2006 STi sponsored by Agile Auto: 10/4 - 18x9.5's

This is my SMF car, its finally where I wanted it, but its still a lot of work away from being competitive at a national level. The trouble is that nobobdy really makes parts for this thing, so Im making it up as I go lol

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 10-05-10, 09:30 AM   #163
piknockout
Advanced Contributor Level 1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Car: 2006 WRX STi
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

piknockout is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3h_Clap View Post
Yeah, the spacer would be required with that high an offset. Not like it matters they fit great at the +35mm effective offest up front.

Are you going to jump to the AD08 in a 245/40/18? The 9.5s should stretch the 40 series just enough to not lose much sidewall stiffness.
The plan is to get another set of Dunlops, I've been very happy with them so far. The biggest problem I've seen from guys driving on the AD08's is that they don't heat up fast enough for autocross. I've seen the 245/40/17 AD08's on a 9.5" wide wheel, and the sidewall was nearly straight up and down...those tires are really wide. Oh yeah, and then there's that whole price thing on the AD08's...ouch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorium06 View Post
This is my SMF car, its finally where I wanted it, but its still a lot of work away from being competitive at a national level. The trouble is that nobobdy really makes parts for this thing, so Im making it up as I go lol
Looks like a clean car! Of course the biggest issue with a newer car like that is weight. To be Nationally competitive, I would say you need at least a 275 r-comp up front, drop some weight, and a fancy diff (if you don't already have one). Anything other than a lightweight Civic seems to be pretty tough to really be fast. Good luck with the build! A friend of mine is working on his SR20DET B15 Sentra, and needless to say it's been a lot of work to get it close...and it's still got a ways to go. SMF is definitely a tough class to build for.

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-10, 09:38 AM   #164
T3h_Clap
I Solve Problems

My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by piknockout View Post
The plan is to get another set of Dunlops, I've been very happy with them so far. The biggest problem I've seen from guys driving on the AD08's is that they don't heat up fast enough for autocross. I've seen the 245/40/17 AD08's on a 9.5" wide wheel, and the sidewall was nearly straight up and down...those tires are really wide. Oh yeah, and then there's that whole price thing on the AD08's...ouch.
The AD08s would probably do better in the south. My Z1 Star Specs get greasy very fast when temps are over 85 or 90 at autox.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 10-05-10, 10:08 AM   #165
piknockout

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Do you spray them with water when they get hot? I have a co-driver and we've had no issues doing 8 runs, usually spraying them down after the 2nd or 3rd run and between every run afterwards. But agreed, if you're having overheating issues then the AD08's could work well. I'm half tempted to try them since there's contingency, just can't get myself to fork over that kind of money for a "test".
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 10-05-10, 11:08 AM   #166
T3h_Clap
I Solve Problems

My Subaru Parts for sale

Yeah, spray after each run. If I wait till the 2nd run I'm screwed because they don't cool down unless I spray the crap out of them and wait 10 minutes. No Co-driver.

Part of it could be a combination of smaller run groups and retarded track temps. Homestead go kart track can get upwards of 110 in the summer. Fail.

Since I'm not planning on sticking to STU anymore, I'll probably try a wider "cooler" tire like the RS3 or AD08.

I'm not doing any national events this year so I haven't followed the contingency payouts, are they over $250 yet? I remember the hoosier contingency a few years ago didn't even cover the cost difference between hoosier and kumho.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 10-05-10, 04:08 PM   #167
Thorium06
Advanced Contributor Level 2
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Car: 05 AW STi
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Thorium06 is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Re: piknockout's STU Auto-x Build - 2006 STi sponsored by Agile Auto: 10/4 - 18x9.5's

Quote:
Originally Posted by piknockout View Post

Looks like a clean car! Of course the biggest issue with a newer car like that is weight. To be Nationally competitive, I would say you need at least a 275 r-comp up front, drop some weight, and a fancy diff (if you don't already have one). Anything other than a lightweight Civic seems to be pretty tough to really be fast. Good luck with the build! A friend of mine is working on his SR20DET B15 Sentra, and needless to say it's been a lot of work to get it close...and it's still got a ways to go. SMF is definitely a tough class to build for.
Thanks! Yeah weight sucks, its at 2700lbs which is light for a tc, but almost 1000lbs too heavy for the class. In that pic Im running 245 R6's, but at divisionals this year we ran 275's all around and they still fit in the fenders no problem lol. Originally I was planning on getting the OS Giken diff, but for the money, I decided I would rather have an STi built for STU/Rallycross duty than a FWD race car, so Im going to start parting it out this winter and hopefully find an 06 STi.

If everything goes well I might see you at nationals next year!
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 10-06-10, 06:55 AM   #168
piknockout

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3h_Clap View Post
Yeah, spray after each run. If I wait till the 2nd run I'm screwed because they don't cool down unless I spray the crap out of them and wait 10 minutes. No Co-driver.

Part of it could be a combination of smaller run groups and retarded track temps. Homestead go kart track can get upwards of 110 in the summer. Fail.

Since I'm not planning on sticking to STU anymore, I'll probably try a wider "cooler" tire like the RS3 or AD08.

I'm not doing any national events this year so I haven't followed the contingency payouts, are they over $250 yet? I remember the hoosier contingency a few years ago didn't even cover the cost difference between hoosier and kumho.
Smaller run groups and 110 temps could do it! Contingency payouts at NT's are usually $300/$200/$100 for Toyo/Yoko/Bridgestone, with Hoosier giving I think 3 Tires/2 Tires/1 Tire for NT's. It's a lot more at Nationals. Based on that and how well I think we could do, the Yoko's or Stones might not be a terrible idea regionally (FL Tour, DC/Toledo Pro, NE Divisionals). Hmm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorium06 View Post
Thanks! Yeah weight sucks, its at 2700lbs which is light for a tc, but almost 1000lbs too heavy for the class. In that pic Im running 245 R6's, but at divisionals this year we ran 275's all around and they still fit in the fenders no problem lol. Originally I was planning on getting the OS Giken diff, but for the money, I decided I would rather have an STi built for STU/Rallycross duty than a FWD race car, so Im going to start parting it out this winter and hopefully find an 06 STi.

If everything goes well I might see you at nationals next year!
Sounds like an interesting build, sorry you have to tear it down. But then again, an STU STi is quite a bit of fun!
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 10-06-10, 07:01 AM   #169
T3h_Clap
I Solve Problems

My Subaru Parts for sale

stop thinking, thinking is expensive!

speaking of thinking, i should pick up a cheap pyrometer. Having some hard data on tire temps would be beneficial. My next event is in November so hopefully it's not 100 degrees. My luck it'll be 30
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 10-06-10, 09:27 AM   #170
piknockout

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

I've only used a pyrometer to check temps across the tire, not so much for finding optimal tire temp. Last I checked they were pretty even across the board, just a few degrees off in the middle, so I think my camber is in a happy place.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement