piknockout's STU Auto-x Build Sponsored by Agile Auto: 8/23 Update - WDCR #7 - Page 16 - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
piknockout's STU Auto-x Build Sponsored by Agile Auto: 8/23 Update - WDCR #7
piknockout's STU Auto-x Build Sponsored by Agile Auto: 8/23 Update - WDCR #7
Go Back   STI Forums > > > piknockout's STU Auto-x Build Sponsored by Agile Auto: 8/23 Update - WDCR #7

Old 09-27-10, 10:01 AM   #151
JZeezSTi
Advanced Mastery Level II
Feedback Score: 20 reviews

Fav Mod: The Driver Mod
My Subaru Parts for sale

JZeezSTi is on a distinguished road
Default Re: piknockout's STU Auto-x Build - 2006 STi sponsored by Agile Auto: 9/27 SCCA Natio

Nice! Congrats Josh. Very happy for you dude. Its nice to see an STi out there representing for the rest of us who are lacking in skill and money to go to Nationals.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-10, 06:46 AM   #152
piknockout
Advanced Contributor Level 1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Car: 2006 WRX STi
Fav Mod: Coming Soon
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

piknockout is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: piknockout's STU Auto-x Build - 2006 STi sponsored by Agile Auto: 9/27 SCCA Natio

I'll just leave this here for now.

I don't have any hard data at this point, just waiting to see if the corrupted MaxQ data can be salvaged *fingers crossed*. For this very limited test, we were only looking to understand the impacts to acceleration and top end speed since we couldn't do a true test. The best findings we had was that this 18" setup fit with no rubbing issues and no need to raise the car above our settings with the 17's. Below is more info on what we compared and how we did.

Baseline Wheel/Tire setup: 245/40/17 Dunlop Direzza Z1 (roughly 60ish runs - started full tread) on 17x9 et42 Rota DPT's (19lbs each)

Best time: 48.709 on my 2nd run, could have knocked off at least 0.8-1.0s with two more runs though as I had just jumped out of the Maryland FSAE car, which defies the laws of physics...the STi is a "little" different. It was the 4th run on tires - Shane didn't co-drive on first 2 runs, someone else did. No video unfortunately of that run, but it was not great.

Shifting: Ran out of gear very early in a few places, found two areas that required shifting to 3rd and could use it for a relevant amount of time.

Testing Wheel/Tire Setup: 245/40/18 Bridgestone RE01R's that are roughly 2 years old and a multitude of runs on them. They felt pretty hard/slick when we put them on. Wheels were TR Motorsports MT1 18x9.5 et45 at roughly 19lbs (and only $300 each on Tire Rack). I ran the 10mm spacers up front with this setup as well, so an effective et35 offset up front. No rubbing issues with this setup, but could have been from the lack of grip with these tires. Another note, Dunlops would have been wider and could possibly cause some rubbing.

Best Time: 49.326 on Shane's 5th run overall, 3rd run on this wheel/tire setup. Overall the tires were very slick and had a limited amount of grip. My best time was my 4th run (2nd run on these tires) with a 50.136 - video shows that I was a little too timid with the lack of grip and Shane ran much better lines in a couple of spots.

Shifting: The car still ran out of gear in all the same spots, but didn't run out as quickly. No real noticeable impact to acceleration, other than the extra RPM's needed at the start to get it going. Where the 17's required two definitive shifts to 3rd, the 18's could get by well enough with no shifting, although one spot was debateable as to whether 3rd could be used effectively.

The Verdict: Unfortunately, it's still pretty murky. I think until we can get more runs on equivalent tires, I don't know that we have a real answer. Our MaxQ data was corrupted when we pulled it afterwards and we're hoping to get it fixed. If so, then we can see what the actual differences were in top speed and acceleration to see what the tradeoff would be.

As far as making the car faster overall, I'm thinking with more power on tap next year that we can overcome the acceleration effects of the taller gearing. Also with more power, we should be able to get to the limiter in 2nd at a quicker pace, thus making the 18's a possibly better option, along with another 200 RPM's to help (at Nationals at least: 7400 to 7600).

I think that if I were only running locally/regionally then I would keep the smaller, cheaper, lighter 17" setup and not worry about it. More than likely there's not as much of an issue. But due to the speeds that are being displayed at Nationals the last two years, I don't know that there's much of a choice to go with anything but 18's. I know John Hale is a fan of them and had a raw time on Day 1 that would have put him right in the hunt for the top spot...looks like proof to me. I still haven't decided 100%, but it's currently leaning that way.

Oh yeah, and we can't forget the baller look of the 18's either.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 10-04-10, 11:03 AM   #153
piknockout

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Default Re: piknockout's STU Auto-x Build - 2006 STi sponsored by Agile Auto: 10/4 - 18x9.5's

I was talking to an engineering friend of mine and he did some calculations to determine the impacts of the wheel/tire change in addition to a higher RPM. Our top speed should have increased from roughly 54mph to 56mph using the 18's. For every 1000 RPM, we should be able to gain nearly 1mph. To maintain current acceleration levels with the taller tire, we need roughly a 4% gain in torque (rougly 14wtq based on current power/dyno). So with the plans for the off season, I think I can get the extra torque I need based on partially blocking the wastegate, keeping acceleration at least flat to this year, but gain 2mph with tires and perhaps another 2mph by increasing the redline. That should get us to about 58mph topping out 2nd gear. Sounds like I just talked myself into 18's.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-10, 03:20 PM   #154
Thorium06
Advanced Contributor Level 2
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Car: 05 AW STi
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Thorium06 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: piknockout's STU Auto-x Build - 2006 STi sponsored by Agile Auto: 10/4 - 18x9.5's

Sweet build, Im hoping to pick up an STi this winter for an STU build too.

I also have the TR MT1s on my current SMF car.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 10-04-10, 07:59 PM   #155
Silverhks
Contributor

Car: 07 OBP
Fav Mod: Bushings, esp Steering Rack
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Silverhks is an unknown quantity at this point

congrats on the trophy!

did the 10mil spacer make that much of a difference in feel?
i hope you can recover the max-q data. we need to make up the gearing deficit on the evos.
btw after following the journal this i look forward to meeting you at an event.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 10-05-10, 05:21 AM   #156
piknockout

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Thanks guys!

The 10mm spacer definitely made a difference. Better front end grip and better initial turn in. I see you're in TN, do you run any national events? Just curious where we might run into each other. If you ever get bored and decide to come up to DC, let me know. Great lot and great group of people.

SMF car? What are you running? Just curious.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 10-05-10, 06:40 AM   #157
Silverhks
Contributor

Car: 07 OBP
Fav Mod: Bushings, esp Steering Rack
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Silverhks is an unknown quantity at this point

i am prepping an 07 for stu
i have not run national level events in a couple of yrs but plan to for the 11 season.
i have not looked at the national schedule just yet but we usually send a couple of drivers to the DC tour and pro. I hope to be there this year.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 10-05-10, 06:57 AM   #158
piknockout

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Nice! Unless something unforeseen happens I'll be at the DC Pro. They haven't had a tour here in a while, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Last year they had the NE Divisionals here at DC.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 10-05-10, 07:07 AM   #159
T3h_Clap
I Solve Problems
Feedback Score: 14 reviews

Fav Mod: TiC SST's and Vorshlag Plates
My Subaru Parts for sale

T3h_Clap will become famous soon enoughT3h_Clap will become famous soon enough

those 10mm spacers had to help with inboard clearance up front as well. Unless you're running really short springs the 9.5 +45mm would be very close to the spring perches. (on a GD).
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 10-05-10, 07:29 AM   #160
piknockout

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

I never checked the clearance unfortunately. We swapped them on in about 8 minutes in between runs. I do know that with the 10mm spacers they seem to fit just right overall.

I'm not sure of the spring length, but I'm guessing that they're 7" perhaps...whatever comes standard on the RCE Tarmac 2's.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement