piknockout's STU Auto-x Build Sponsored by Agile Auto: 8/23 Update - WDCR #7 - Page 15 - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
piknockout's STU Auto-x Build Sponsored by Agile Auto: 8/23 Update - WDCR #7
piknockout's STU Auto-x Build Sponsored by Agile Auto: 8/23 Update - WDCR #7
Go Back   STI Forums > > > piknockout's STU Auto-x Build Sponsored by Agile Auto: 8/23 Update - WDCR #7

Old 07-30-10, 07:30 AM   #141
piknockout
Advanced Contributor Level 1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Car: 2006 WRX STi
Fav Mod: Coming Soon
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

piknockout is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: piknockout's STU Auto-x Build - 2006 STi sponsored by Agile Auto: 7/19 FL Tour Up

Jordan, what kind of sound are you talking about? I notice a little knock sometimes when I reverse going into my driveway, but otherwise I don't notice anything.

The 3,110lbs is including the Sparcos. Most of the weight loss from last year is due to the Sparcos and removing the rear wing.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-10, 05:26 AM   #142
piknockout

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Default Re: piknockout's STU Auto-x Build - 2006 STi sponsored by Agile Auto: 7/19 FL Tour Up

Itís been quite a while since Iíve updated some events, so how about I catch up here.

Philly SCCA Event #8 at Warminster on July 25th, 2010

Results: Final Results, #8 - Philadelphia Region SCCA 2010 Summer Event 8 MINI and BMW of the Main Line - Sun 07-25-2010

Video: YouTube - Philly Event #8 at Warminster Community Park 7-25-2010

Shane and I decided to head up to Warminster to try and get some additional higher speed/3rd gear experience. Jerry Enger was setting up the course for this event and likes to have some of the higher speed stuff. Knowing that Nationals would probably have some higher speed sections, this would be good practice. The threat of rain kept a lot of competitors away, so with the low turnout we would be able to get 5 runs.

I recently installed the 10mm spacers and was able to do some testing the day before at a DC Test and Tune. We only had to make minor tweaks to the rear rebound and the car was ready to go. Front end grip was fantastic, but that course didnít have a lot of transitional elements, so this event would be a good test.

First run went well, putting down a very quick raw time of 50.529, but somehow managed to nick a couple of cones along the way. The turnaround was one of the tougher spots on the course, and I tried dive bombing into it and in the process had left it in 3rd gear for the entire 180. I could fix that for next run.

Second run I got it back into second before the turnaround, better acceleration out of it, and overall the run felt good, not much better on raw time with a 50.528, but found a cone on the run. The third and fourth runs would be much of the same, with both being mid-50s runs with cones.

With no clean runs, I had one chance to get it right. Shane was having some issues as well with the cones, and we all know I tend to choke in these situations. So on the final run, I manage to get clean through the first part of the course, although I got a little too deep after the high speed gate. Also ended up being a little off on the turnaround. The way back down the runway went pretty well, with the car feeling really good in the transitions, turning when/where I wanted without excessive oversteer, then coming through the lights with a clean run that was good enough to beat Shane. It was slower than my previous runs with a 51.118, but it was clean, so weíll take that as a good sign of improvement.

Results: 1st in STU and 15th in PAX.

Overall very happy with how the car felt with the new spacers and happy that I pulled out a clean one when I needed it. It was a little frustrating that I didnít go faster, but not folding under pressure was good enough for me.

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 09-27-10, 05:26 AM   #143
piknockout

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

WDCR Event #5 at Fed Ex Field on August 1st, 2010

Results: User Log In (must log in to view)

Video: Camera battery died.

After not choking the previous weekend, I was hoping to build on my new found confidence this weekend. Walking the course, it looked like it was going to be a lot of fun, hopefully my runs would be fun and fast. Unfortunately I forgot to charge the camera, so youíll just have to take my word for it. It included a really high speed offset slalom section that was 3rd gear for us (good thing we got practice the weekend before) as well as a section that went from pretty fast, to a decreasing slalom with the final cone being slightly offset to the bad side.

On my first run, I managed to DNF thanks to getting a little loose and missing part of the slalom. This was followed shortly afterwards by my fastest run of the day of a 55.964, but plus twoÖone of those being that offset cone at the end of the decreasing slalom. At this point I was raw timing Shane by about a second, so I knew I could do this.

Third run was more of the same though, slightly slower with a 56.255 but +1 on that same stupid cone. Shane dropped down a couple of tenths to a 56.808, and then on his final run dropped event further to a 56.081 with a fast, clean run. Could I pull out another clean run under pressure? Nope, I couldnít. I managed to hit a cone early on in my run that I hadnít been close to all day long. After that I pretty much overdrove the rest of the course and managed to miss that offset cone. No clean runs on the day, crap.

Results: 2nd in STU (luckily) and 51st in PAX.

Shane managed to finish 7th in PAX, so with a decently clean run I could have been in the top 10. An opportunity lost unfortunately. Hopefully I donít do this again anytime soon, especially with nationals coming up in a month.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-10, 05:27 AM   #144
piknockout

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

WDCR Event #6 at Fed Ex Field on August 15th, 2010

Results: User Log In (must log in to view)

Video: YouTube - WDCR Event #6 at Fed Ex Field 8-15-2010

The last event before NationalsÖso far in the last two Iíve managed to avoid a choke situation and choked on the other one. It would probably be better if I didnít get myself into those situations to begin with, right? Letís see what we can do about that. The course was another fantastic and fun one, with some higher speed stuff that I should have shifted to 3rd for, but left it in 2nd anyways.

First run felt okay, care was handling well, no major mistakes, but along the way managed to clip a couple of cones with a 62.588 +2. No biggie, 3 more runs to take care of that. Second run was more of the same, except that I went in a little too deep in one corner and pushed out, and also hitting a few more cones and finished at 62.444 +3.

At this point Shane was sitting on a clean 62.440, but coned away a very fast 60.906 +2. With Shane being so fast, I needed to get something clean down so that I could really go for it on my last run. Everything was going great until I got into the final short slalom before the finish. I got into it a little too fast, had to cut it hard to miss the cone, then cutting it hard back the other direction, and just when I thought I had it under control, the rear end stepped out completely on me and I was facing in the opposite direction of the finish. At this point I was completely frustrated, so I gassed it really hard while turning the car around, and in the process managed to do a very nice powersliding 180 to turn around and slide into the finish (see video for referenceÖalthough I think it looked better from outside the car). Ken Block ainít got nothiní on me!

So for the third event in a row, it was down to the final run. Shane finished his last run with a faster clean run of a 61.359, which was good enough for 3rd in PAX for the day. I had to get it done, no more choking. Everything was going well, got through the showcase quickly, coming up the hill to the right hander before the short slalom was solid, didnít get loose through the slalom, and then went a little deep making the left into the finish. I lost a little time but managed to keep it clean! Not quite as fast as Shaneís run, but only about 0.4s back with a 61.796.

Results: 2nd in STU and 6th in PAX (thanks to some rain that impacted some fast guys earlier in the day).

While I would have liked to be faster, I was happy to pull out the clean one when I needed it. Small victories. But nice to finish on a good note right before Nationals, which is only a few weeks away at this point.

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 09-27-10, 05:27 AM   #145
piknockout

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

SCCA Solo Nationals in Lincoln, NE at the Lincoln Air Park on September 6-7, 2010

Results: SCCA - Results

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PI0JsD2EWAE

This is what we’ve been working towards all year long, the SCCA Solo Nationals. I was a little disappointed with last year’s performance (23rd of 46) and was really hoping that I could make an improvement this year. Last year I drove too timidly and never really attacked the courses. I also made the mistake of walking the courses too much (probably 15-20 times each). I vowed not to make those same mistakes this year. But first, we had to get there.

Saturday/Sunday

Last year I had no codriver and drove out on my own, doing the drive over two days after a stay in Kentucky. This year I was lucky enough to have a codriver to share driving duties, and on top of that I was lucky enough to have a friend who was kind enough to let me borrow his Dodge Ram 3500 Diesel and 28’ enclosed trailer. That’s right, I got to pretend to be a baller this year!

Since we were towing noobies, we didn’t want to drive out on our own. We found some of our local DC peeps who were driving out on Saturday as well, and followed Eric Kremelmeyer, Pat Griffith, and Karen Kraus out to Lincoln. Safety in numbers. The trip was pretty uneventful, which is not a bad thing. We stopped just short of Iowa and rested for a couple of hours at a rest stop, then finished the remainder of the drive in the morning and got into Lincoln in time to get a paddock spot, get setup, and then go and watch the Pro Solo Finale Challenge. Afterwards we started getting the car ready for the practice course the next day and then relaxed and hung out with everyone…all on about 2 hours of sleep.

Monday

Monday was a pretty easy day for the most part. We were already set up on the car for practice runs, so no need to get to the site too early. Got registered, washed the car, and we were good to go.

With the site being on concrete, we needed to see how the car would handle on this surface. We haven’t run on concrete all year, with my only experience being last year’s Nationals. Last year the only change I made was changing the rear sway bar from full soft to full stiff, so we started off this year with that same change. On the practice course the car felt pretty good, but perhaps a bit too loose. It was definitely a little snappy, but not too bad. Shane rode along and agreed. Unfortunately before we could make any more changes, our practice session got cancelled thanks to a random storm that came through for about 5 minutes with some lightning. After some discussion we set the bar on the middle setting for Shane’s practice runs on Tuesday, tweaked up the rear rebound a touch, and the car felt fantastic. We were ready to roll.

Tuesday

After over-walking the courses last year, my goal was to treat Nationals just like a normal event, taking no more than 5 course walks (normally 3 walks). I took two walks on Monday night, two on Tuesday morning, then one at the mid-day break (ran 5th heat). I think that ended up being just right. We started our runs on the East Course (left side for the directionally challenged) which contained a section of giant walloms, some big sweepers, and high speed transitions with one pinch spot.

Last year I was too timid in my driving, this year at Finger Lakes I was too timid on my first run, so after discussions with my wife about how I tend to over think things, and that I’m not a thinker and more of a reacting type of person, the idea was to go out on that first run and just go for it. Cones didn’t matter, having a great time didn’t matter, just get the jitters out and get a feel for the surface and some of the course elements at a speed that mattered. And that’s exactly what I did, hitting two cones in the process and doing a few Ken Block drifts along the way. I wasn’t worried about how I did, wasn’t thinking about wanting to do well, just driving and having fun. I came back with the biggest smile on my face, what a fun course and I had fun doing it. My time was a 64.066 +2, the raw time being in the ballpark of some of the fast guys with some big mistakes on my part. I knew I could compete.

Before I went out on my second run, Danny Kao (one of our DC guys) offered to buy me a Sonic Peanut Butter milkshake if I dropped into the 63’s. Seemed like a good deal to me! The run started off well, I got through the tight spot before the walloms cleanly (unlike the first run), got out of the walloms and went to shift into 3rd, only to be met with a mis-shift…crap. I essentially coasted from the end of the walloms to the turnaround, losing a lot of time. I finished the rest of the run cleanly and without issue, finishing with a 63.513, good enough for 5th place at the time. Pretty happy with that, but knew I could go faster and knowing that some other fast guys still needed a clean one (Colin, Jung, Aytinc, Hale, Shane (my codriver).

On my final run, I got a little loose coming out of the slaloms that were after the first sweeper and managed to do a little drifting action unintentionally. At this point I did what I generally tend to do…I thought I was in trouble and tried to make up time instead of driving how I knew I should. When this happens, I end up overdriving and I didn’t really need to as my bobble didn’t kill me. I was still kind of okay coming into the fast 3rd gear transition before the sweeper to the kink, but went through this section too fast, drifting some more, then going wide into said sweeper. It was at this point my run was really screwed. Finished with a 64.203 and left the door wide open. Colin, Jung, and Aytinc all walked through that door, with Hale and Shane coning all three runs on Day 1 with runs that would have put them both into the top 5.

After Day 1, I would be sitting in 8th place out of 10 trophy positions. I should have been faster, but I was happy to be in the hunt for a trophy spot on Day 2.

Wednesday

Despite a successful Day 1, I tried to pretend like it didn’t exist. This was a new course, a new day, a new event. I was happy with how my course walk plan worked for Day 1, so I implemented the same plan for Day 2 with a total of only 5 course walks. The West Course wasn’t quite as open, with more transitional elements and tighter spots to sneak through. While the East Course was kind of a pain for the STi’s gearing, the West Course seemed like it would be better. The goal was to leave it in 2nd gear and see what happens. The previous day saw two spots where the car got on the rev limiter significantly and one where 3rd was required, the West Course had at least 5 spots where we were heavy on the limiter with no real clear idea on whether it was better to leave it in 2nd or shift to 3rd. Every high speed section was right before a braking zone, so no chance to put it in 3rd and leave it like there was on the East Course…definitely a disadvantage versus the Evo’s.

I stick with the plan to leave it in 2nd for the first run and I’m on the limiter everywhere, but I’ll figure out shift points after this run. Pretty solid first run with a 62.875 clean, no major mistakes per se, but need to find some speed with the right places to shift. The important thing here is that I now had a quality first run to allow me to get more aggressive for my last two runs. At this point I think I was sitting in 3rd as others had dirty runs. Obviously that wasn’t going to last, but it sounded good at the time!

For my second run I decided that I would try 3rd coming out of the slaloms after the first sweeper and into the “showcase sweeper” right in front of the bleachers. It seemed to work well, but I also realized that I missed the opportunity to shift into 3rd shortly after the start as I was hitting the limiter just after the first left and into the first right and banging on it for quite some time…but I didn’t have to brake for the left just before that first sweeper. The rest of the course went pretty well, with no big mistakes. Finished my second run a couple of tenths quicker with a 62.661 and now sitting in 7th place after 2 runs.

Feeling comfortable that I had enough for a trophy spot, I just went all out on my last run. I was overdriving in quite a few spots, had to slow down too much in the far right corner after going in too deep, going a little wide into the following tighter right hander, and just generally pushing it hard. Despite making a lot of mistakes in the process, my time dropped another couple of tenths to a 62.465, but unfortunately +1 somewhere on course. Kind of interesting, but my codriver Shane ran the exact same time on his last run, down to the thousandth, except his was clean. After it was all said and done though, my 7th place trophy position would hold up! Great success!

Results: 7th Trophy Position out of 10 Trophies and 36 competitors.

A very successful trip this year and I’m definitely happy with the results. I know I could have been faster and have some things to work on, I know the car can get the job done and I need to learn how to drive it faster. While I ended up being the highest finishing STi in 7th place to a bunch of Evos, the STi can still get it done in the class. The gearing for these courses really hurt us, but primarily because I wasn’t willing enough to use 3rd more often and need to get better at shifting. Also a few off season mods should help if the testing proves to work out. Both Shane and John Hale were faster without the cones, which shows that there was more time to be had out there and the potential is there to hang with the Evos. And of course let’s not forget that Jake coned away the jacket last year despite the poor gearing…the car can do it, the driver just needs to do it better. But in the end I’m very happy and hope to build on this result for next year and hopefully get much closer to that top trophy spot.

Big thanks again to Hill and the crew at Agile Automotive Performance for all of their help to get the car where it is now…and where it will be in the future. Already looking forward to next year’s mod plan.

Last edited by piknockout; 10-08-10 at 11:03 AM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 09-27-10, 08:15 AM   #146
jordanretro1223
Advanced Mastery Level III
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Fav Mod: Stance GR+
My Subaru Parts for sale

jordanretro1223 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: piknockout's STU Auto-x Build - 2006 STi sponsored by Agile Auto: 9/27 SCCA Natio

Congrats Josh!!!
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 09-27-10, 08:22 AM   #147
SeaOfGreen
Advanced Mastery Level I

Fav Mod: "Polka Pickle"
My Subaru Parts for sale

SeaOfGreen is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: piknockout's STU Auto-x Build - 2006 STi sponsored by Agile Auto: 9/27 SCCA Natio

Very nice! How much damage does the cones do to he car when hit them?
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 09-27-10, 09:17 AM   #148
piknockout

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

You can see where I have some marks on the front bumper, but they should come out with some extra elbow grease and the right gunk removal product. I'm planning to get it detailed, but most of the time the cone marks wash right off. I tend to hit them more often than most though.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 09-27-10, 09:17 AM   #149
piknockout

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordanretro1223 View Post
Congrats Josh!!!

Thanks!!!
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 09-27-10, 09:21 AM   #150
SeaOfGreen
Advanced Mastery Level I

Fav Mod: "Polka Pickle"
My Subaru Parts for sale

SeaOfGreen is an unknown quantity at this point

Thats good to here! Want to try some autox myself but always thought the cones damages the car. Seems like you been enjoying your STi =)
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement