piknockout's STU Auto-x Build Sponsored by Agile Auto: 8/23 Update - WDCR #7 - Page 11 - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
piknockout's STU Auto-x Build Sponsored by Agile Auto: 8/23 Update - WDCR #7
piknockout's STU Auto-x Build Sponsored by Agile Auto: 8/23 Update - WDCR #7
Go Back   STI Forums > > > piknockout's STU Auto-x Build Sponsored by Agile Auto: 8/23 Update - WDCR #7

Old 03-25-10, 01:57 PM   #101
jordanretro1223
Advanced Mastery Level III
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Fav Mod: Stance GR+
My Subaru Parts for sale

jordanretro1223 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: piknockout's STU Autocross Build - 2006 STi sponsored by Agile Auto (3/25 Update)

Josh, are you installing the ARP studs yourself?

I have a set too but don't want to pay a shop to do them.

If you get some practice on your car and have some free time over the summer can you help me do mine?
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-10, 02:32 PM   #102
piknockout
Advanced Contributor Level 1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Car: 2006 WRX STi
Fav Mod: Coming Soon
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

piknockout is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: piknockout's STU Autocross Build - 2006 STi sponsored by Agile Auto (3/25 Update)

They shouldn't be too hard to do after talking to Hill. We can work something out if you're willing to make the drive down.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 03-25-10, 02:36 PM   #103
jordanretro1223

My Subaru Parts for sale

Oh yeah of course. Driving down to you was always my plan if we found time.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-10, 02:40 PM   #104
piknockout

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

As of a couple of weeks ago I finally got everything installed. Definitely tough getting it all done in a week, but worth it to just be done.

Getting started

Rear Diff Bushings

Steering Rack Bushings

Starting on the pitch mount and turbo inlet

What's left of the stock turbo inlet...I was too lazy to take off the intake manifold.

The intake pieces ready for installation

Finally got it in, what a PITA.

Cobb Intake, Samco MAF hose, and Samco Turbo inlet installed

Control Arm, lateral link, and trailing arm bushings

All the pieces in a box after getting bushings swapped out

The car with no suspension other than coilovers and parts littering the garage floor.

Group N Engine Mounts

Group N Tranny Mount

After getting all the hard parts installed, it was time to go to Agile Auto and have Hill install his custom intake box. I will be powdercoating it soon and I'm hoping to get some intake temp readings as well, which I'll post up when I get more info. After finishing up the intake box and installing some Tein hood dampers, we were ready for the dyno.

Final uncorrected dyno numbers were:

Street Tune 2009: 325whp/350wtq
Street Tune 2010: 340whp/355wtq

STU Tune 2009: 318whp/318wtq
STU Tune 2010: 321whp/310wtq

Temps for this tune were about 20 degrees warmer than when last years tune was done. With cooler temperatures the torque would be more in line with last year. Overall the car feels fantastic, especially on the the street!

After finishing up the dyno time I needed to get an alignment knocked out, so I rushed over to Gennady and Igor at GT Performance in Abingdon, MD (www.gtperformanceinc.com). They were nice enough to stick around late and make sure that I had the car ready for the first WDCR points event on that Sunday. Now this was at about 6:30pm on Friday night and I was going to be out of town on Saturday with the event on Sunday morning...HUGE help! These guys do a lot of work on Porsches, including racing their own 997 GT3 Cup car, so they know a thing or two.

Since I installed the offset bushings for the control arms to increase caster, I decided that I could get away with a touch less camber in the front. I dropped the front camber down to -3.0 from -3.2, kept the rear at -2.0, with zero toe all around.

Now it's time to see if all these changes will actually work like I want them to...

Last edited by piknockout; 04-26-10 at 06:17 PM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 04-26-10, 03:12 PM   #105
Chadb
Advanced Contributor Level 4
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Car: 07 STI-07 VW GTI-
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Chadb is on a distinguished road
Default Re: piknockout's STU Autocross Build - 2006 STi sponsored by Agile Auto (4/26 Update)

You got almost the same setup as I do. The car looks great!
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 04-26-10, 03:53 PM   #106
piknockout

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Default Re: piknockout's STU Autocross Build - 2006 STi sponsored by Agile Auto (4/26 Update)

WDCR Event #1 at Fed Ex Field on April 18th, 2010

Results: User Log In

Video: YouTube- WDCR SCCA Event #1 - Fed Ex Field - 4/18/10

So after an exhausting week of trying to get all the new parts installed on the car in time to get dynoed and aligned before the first event, it was time to see if all these new parts would make the car better or just screw up what was a pretty decent car. I was very anxious to see how it would feel, but unfortunately never fully got the chance to test it all out.

You see what had happened was that the lovely people at Fed Ex Field decided that the lot needed to be resealed, and thanks to that resealing in addition to 55 degree weather, the surface ended up being somewhere between wet, ice, oil, or some mixture of all three. It didn't cover all of the lot, but somewhere around 75% of it. And where it wasn't resealed, the cars carried some of the sealant onto the good portion of asphalt over the course of the event. The morning heat got the worst of it, where just the simplest of throttle lifts would initiate a spin and just a hair too much speed/brake would produce lockup with giant understeer. The course did improve a bit in the afternoon after the sun came out and the course wore in, but it was still pretty crappy during the time STU ran in the 3rd heat of the morning session.

Danny Kao's first run in the kart during heat 2, with me trying to warn him that it was slick.

YouTube- Typhoon Kao 2010

Not knowing what the car was going to do, I decided I didn't want to spin the car so I would make sure the car wasn't too loose. I dropped the rebound down two clicks in the rear to be safe. I decided to leave the pressures where they were at the previous weekend's autocross school (44/40). On the first run going into the sealant showcase, the car just plowed on turn in and felt pushy throughout the course. But I didn't spin on the slick stuff, I spun on the good stuff after getting too greedy with the throttle on corner exit with too much steering angle. But I did notice that on the slalom down to the finish the grip was actually quite fantastic. Note to self, use this grip well on the next run. Finished with a 62.913 but it was clean at least. The time was good enough to beat nearly all the M3's that were running, but that's because they spun on the bad stuff...just about all of them.

Time to put down a time on the 2nd run. I put the rear rebound back to where it was and the car felt much better. It also helped that I had a little bit of heat in the tires as well to get some better grip. Going across the lot in the fast section I shifted to 3rd, but as I lifted to shift the rear end started to step out, gave it gas in 3rd to straighten it out, then dropped back down to 2nd as I immediately had to brake for the next turn. That was a little hairy and kept me from using 3rd gear in the spot again, I would just deal with popping off the limiter. Finished the run clean with a 55.111, a time good enough to put me in 1st in STU by roughly 1.2s with TJ in 2nd in his underprepped STi.

On the third run I tried to just drive cleaner and smoother through all the slick stuff, but I forgot to drive more aggressively on the good stuff. The result was an ugly, ugly 56.497, which I confirmed with the video afterwards that I just completely drove like a wuss. But it's okay, I still have a solid lead going into 4th runs, nobody else is going to make up 1.2s...right?

I've got a solid lead so I decide to try something different and drop pressures down further to mimic a wet setup. I dropped them down to 40/36, but for some reason I decided to leave the rebound where it was. Normally I would drop rebound down two clicks all around, but was a little lazy since I didn't need the time. Went out, much more aggressive on the good pavement and unfortunately a little too aggressive near the end and got a little late going into the slaloms. Finished the run with an improved time of 54.657 and locked up the STU win. What I didn't know was that a few cars ahead of me, TJ had dropped his time down to a 55.017 and took 1st place away for a bit. I'm actually kind of glad I didn't know though, I probably would have screwed up that last run. Nice work by TJ in an underprepped car and looks like we'll have to be watching over our shoulders for him.

Results: 1st in STU of 12 and 23rd in PAX of 234.

The important thing here is that I picked up some 1st place points for the season before Shane gets a chance to start taking a run at me. I'm looking forward to it though, especially after our MaxQ finally comes in. I tend to be a bit more aggressive, but he is usually a bit smoother, so it will be interesting to see where we're each faster than each other and hopefully make us both faster.

Also as an indication of how much better the course (and the drivers) got in the afternoon, I was sitting in 4th in PAX in the morning and dropped 19 places in the afternoon...ouch.

The next event is this Sunday at Fed Ex Field, and hopefully it has weathered in a bit in addition to the 78 degree weather we're supposed to have. I'm expecting conditions to be good enough to see how the car is actually handling with the updates. I still have a few more goodies to add to the car, just need all the new parts to get here. I probably won't have anything before this weekend, but hopefully everything will be set in a few more weeks so that I can test before the Northeast Divisionals at the end of May.

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 04-26-10, 04:07 PM   #107
piknockout

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadb View Post
You got almost the same setup as I do. The car looks great!

Thanks!

So far I'm loving the current setup.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 04-26-10, 05:25 PM   #108
jordanretro1223

My Subaru Parts for sale

Sent you a PM...
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 04-26-10, 08:00 PM   #109
JZeezSTi
Advanced Mastery Level II
Feedback Score: 20 reviews

Fav Mod: The Driver Mod
My Subaru Parts for sale

JZeezSTi is on a distinguished road

Wow. Nice job Josh. I gotta get some of those Control Arm Goodies for my car...

Old 04-27-10, 05:37 AM   #110
piknockout

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Bushings are a PITA, but in this car and my last car they just feel great. Much more solid and responsive feeling out of the entire car. I hate slop.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement