piknockout's STU Auto-x Build Sponsored by Agile Auto: 8/23 Update - WDCR #7 - Page 10 - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
piknockout's STU Auto-x Build Sponsored by Agile Auto: 8/23 Update - WDCR #7
piknockout's STU Auto-x Build Sponsored by Agile Auto: 8/23 Update - WDCR #7
Go Back   STI Forums > > > piknockout's STU Auto-x Build Sponsored by Agile Auto: 8/23 Update - WDCR #7

Old 10-13-09, 04:32 PM   #91
JZeezSTi
Advanced Mastery Level II
Feedback Score: 20 reviews

Fav Mod: The Driver Mod
My Subaru Parts for sale

JZeezSTi is on a distinguished road
Default Re: piknockout's STU Autocross Build - 2006 STi sponsored by Agile Auto (10/13 Update

As usual... Great write up. I love reading about your autocross experiences. I kinda live vicariously through you, cuz I cant be as dedicated to autocrossing as you are. Although I would love to, at this time in my life I dont have the time or the funds.

Great job. Im glad to see that your coning a lot less.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-09, 06:13 PM   #92
piknockout
Advanced Contributor Level 1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Car: 2006 WRX STi
Fav Mod: Coming Soon
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

piknockout is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: piknockout's STU Autocross Build - 2006 STi sponsored by Agile Auto (10/13 Update

Ha! Thanks.

As far as lack of coneage and driving fast, usually those two things have been mutually exclusive for me. But this was by far one of my best weekends.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 12-06-09, 09:50 AM   #93
piknockout

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Looks like the 2010 prep/Christmas/my birthday all came a bit early! While browsing the MAIC classifieds, I managed to find a set of Sparco Evo seats for sale with bases included, for much less than buying new ones. I had put seats into my budget for next year, but was planning on purchasing some Corbeau Forza seats that would fit in my budget as they were quite a bit cheaper than the Sparco's new. They were a bit heavier, but I felt I could get that setup to be at least in the 28lbs-30lbs range per seat. Luckily though, I was able to find these and convinced the Veto Committee to allow me to pick these up well ahead of schedule.

The seats were located down in VA so I drove down to pick them up after work on Thursday (4 hour round trip), but worth it. Seats looked good in person, aside from all the dog hair covering them and a small hole on the shoulder part of the seat where it had rubbed against the B-pillar. So I drove them home and got started putting them in the car.

First thing to do was to weigh the Sparcos. They were fitted with Sparco side mounts and custom brackets, with the Driver's side having a slider. With the very accurate method of using a bathroom scale, I weighed myself first and then weighed myself holding each seat. Weights came out at:

Driver's side Sparco with slider: 31lbs
Passenger's side Sparco fixed base: 28lbs
Total Weight: 59lbs

Now it was time to take the stockers out. Not too much trouble, other than trying to get the stupid wires unhooked.

Driver's side seat: 47lbs
Passenger's side seat: 43lbs
Total Weight: 90lbs
Total Weight savings over stock: 31lbs

Not to bad, still have about 10lbs of savings I could get out of the seats that I might try to exploit later, but too bad overall. My goal next year is to get the car below 3,100lbs (weighed at 3,150 earlier in the year). Future plans to help get there include removing the rear wing along with a few other things, but we'll get to that in the future when I get around to it.

Installing the new seats wasn't bad, just put them in and bolt them up, but the biggest issue I've had is getting rid of the airbag light. I used 2.2ohm resistors and have some 3.3ohm resistors to try and see if that helps. But I'm afraid that the reason the light is on has more to do with having to unplug the passenger seat sensors that judge the weight of someone sitting in the seat to determine whether the airbag will go off or not. I'll try the other resistors today or sometime this week and see if that works.

Of course I still had to take it for a spin even with the light on, and I have to say that it's a MUCH different experience driving with these seats. They sit at least 3" or so lower in the car and give a very different view of things. I think it's something that will just take a little bit to get used to, so nothing to worry about. Looking forward to trying them out next season.

Oh yeah, and also got some AW WRX side skirts in the deal, not sure if I'm going to put them on for good, but I'm at least going to try them out.

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-09, 05:15 PM   #94
vhsc22
Master Contributor Level 2
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Fav Mod: How could I choose
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

vhsc22 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: piknockout's STU Autocross Build - 2006 STi sponsored by Agile Auto (12/6 Update)

congrats on the seats! nice car too!!
About to get into autocross myself any tips or advice haha?
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 01-02-10, 12:35 PM   #95
piknockout

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Default Re: piknockout's STU Autocross Build - 2006 STi sponsored by Agile Auto (12/6 Update)

My suggestion would be to just go out and run what you've got, get comfortable with driving it and then decide where you want to go with it (class wise), and then begin modding for the class you want to try and be competitive in. People always give excuses such as "when I get my suspension" or "when I get new tires", but they don't come out. You've got to get comfortable with driving first, then you can start worrying about the car.

And biggest of all when you get there, find an instructor to ride along with you. Those guys know what they're talking about, let them help you and you'll get faster at a quicker pace.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 01-02-10, 07:58 PM   #96
piknockout

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Well, minor success on the airbag fix. I've managed to get all of the necessary equipment off of the stock seats and installed under the Sparco's. The only issue I'm having right now are the resistors, I can't seem to get them to work. All of the other sensors are hooked up and good to go, but I haven't defeated the dreaded light yet.

On the other hand, my installation of the gel bladder for the weight sensor from the passenger seat went well, and I can report that the below setup will cause the passenger airbag to be in the "on" position on the dash at all times. There's just no clean way to install them under the Sparco's unless I were to drill out a hole underneath for the gel hose and also create some new cushions. So instead of the passenger airbag being on when only a passenger is in the seat, it's on all the time...but that's probably not a bad thing.

Here are a few pics.

The passenger seat setup with the sensor and the gel bladder.

Driver's side rail position sensor

The sensor removed - needs to be hooked up and just zip tied under the seat.

Gel bladder removed - reference this thread to get the how to.
06-07 passenger detection system swap - NASIOC

Removing the sensor - worked my up to an 11/64" bit to finally get the rivets drilled out.

Sensor removed and secured under passenger side Sparco with double sided tape.

The gel bladder removed from the plastic sheets.

The gel bladder rolled up and held together with zip ties - this setup generates enough pressure to signal the passenger airbag light by the clock to be "ON".

The final setup underneath the passenger seat.

Easy access to side airbag harness so that I can easily change the resistors until I find a setup that works to get the frickin' light off!!!
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 01-02-10, 10:16 PM   #97
JZeezSTi
Advanced Mastery Level II
Feedback Score: 20 reviews

Fav Mod: The Driver Mod
My Subaru Parts for sale

JZeezSTi is on a distinguished road

Josh. I upgraded to the JDM STi seats and had the problem finding a resister that would work. In the end I just found 3.3 ohm resistor on line and purchased it. Not 3.3 K. Make sure its exactly 3.3 ohm. Radio shack had every resistor except the one i needed. Unfortunately u will have to probably spend about 10-20 bux for it. Cuz although they are very inexpensive theres usually. Some minimum dollar amount purchase on the website u find it on. Good luck.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 01-04-10, 06:16 AM   #98
piknockout

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Yeah, after going back and doing more research I realized I was using the wrong resistors. I'll probably just buy a whole bunch online and then sell the extras in the same way the one guy did on NASIOC. Thanks!
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 03-25-10, 02:00 PM   #99
piknockout

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Just ordered all the parts! Below is a list of the toys that should be here in the next week. I'll have a full writeup of the installs as they happen as well. Looking forward to getting this season really going!
-Rota DPT's 17x9 et42 in Flat Black for daily use/wet weather wheels
-Full Tread Dunlop Z1's in 245/40/17 for daily use/wet weather
-Dunlop Z1's in 245/40/17 Shaved to 6/32 or 4/32 for dry weather (waiting until May to order these, I can kill the Stones in the mean time)
-ARP extended wheel studs
-Muteki SR48 Open Ended Extended Lugnuts
-5mm or 8mm spacers (probably homemade...well, made with my buddy's HAAS machine )
-Motor Mounts and Transmission Mount
-STi Pitch Mount
-Whiteline Steering Rack Bushings
-Whiteline postive castor kit (offset bushings)
-Whiteline Front Control Arm Front Inner bushing
-TIC Race rear diff mount bushings
-Kartboy rear differential cross member bushings
-Whiteline Rear Lateral Link bushings
-Whiteline Trailing Arm bushings (front)
-Whiteline Trailing Arm bushings (rear)
-Cobb short ram intake (came with car, sitting in my basement)
-Agile Auto Intake Box (review to come later)
-Samco Turbo Inlet
-Samco MAF Hose
-New STU/Street tune for new intake parts
I'm hoping to have most of the suspension parts installed for my first event on April 11th and then the engine parts installed/tune completed by the first WDCR points event on April 18th.
I'm hoping the suspension bushings don't dramatically change the balance of the car too much, but I'm sure the wider front track with the 8mm spacers up front will have an impact. I'm planning to go with the same alignment settings as last year (-3.2f/-2.0r and zero toe all around) and that I can just simply tune out any imbalances with shock settings and air pressure. The car feels great right now so it's going to be a pain to have to re-test and re-adjust everything, but the end result "should" be a much better handling car and worth the time/effort. Now if I can just be as lucky as I was last year when everything worked right out of the box, I'll be set!
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 03-25-10, 02:03 PM   #100
piknockout

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

I also forgot to post this before. I lost 17lbs! This is a temporary setup, so don't be too judgemental.

So before going to a winter series autocross event tomorrow, I decided that I should have a 3rd brake light for both STU and state legality. I figured I would see what was available at Autozone/Advance/Pepboys in the "ricer light section" and ended up with great success. The light below comes as a set of 2 for $20.

Not too shabby, and pretty bright. My original plan was to cut a nice piece of vinyl to stick them to the window where you would end up seeing the lights very clearly. But then as we were putting it together, we realized that the lights shine through the black part! Okay, it's not very bright, but at least legal and you can see it. So we set it up there, running the wires down to the 3rd brake light plug under the deck.
Additionally, I took out one of the trunk tension rods so that the trunk wouldn't just fly open when popped. Only problem is that now it won't stay up easily, but at least pops up enough to open it up. The fix? A piece of dowel wood I had sitting around to use as a prop until I pick up the right tensioners.
Here are a few pics.

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement