Prague STi - the Transformation (Engine pulled - warped) - Page 5 - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
Prague STi - the Transformation (Engine pulled - warped)
Prague STi - the Transformation (Engine pulled - warped)
Go Back   STI Forums > > > Prague STi - the Transformation (Engine pulled - warped)

Old 10-14-08, 02:39 PM   #41
praha-sti
Donating Member
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Fav Mod: Baby daughter ... :-)
My Subaru Parts for sale

praha-sti is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Prague STi - the Transformation (Rally Armor mudflaps arrived! - PICs)

Well, I'm officially looking for CF Hood Dampers ... I have found NSR and Endura so far. I found some NSR on ebay ... 149.00 USD -- plus 75.00 USD for shipping to the CZ, WTF! On the Endura site, you can only pick the US for delivery. WTF? Conspiracy! The cost of shipping should be no more than 20 bucks ... what's up with the over-charging? It's not like it's extra work ... dag-nabit!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-08, 03:38 AM   #42
praha-sti
Donating Member

My Subaru Parts for sale

Default Re: Prague STi - the Transformation (Hood Damper Conspiracy!)

Here are my Dunlop Winter Sport 3Ds before being mounted:

Here they are after being mounted (yes, I know, my car is filthy! Just how how like it!):

Front:

Back:

Last edited by praha-sti; 12-10-08 at 12:39 AM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 10-17-08, 06:44 AM   #43
praha-sti
Donating Member

My Subaru Parts for sale

Default Re: Prague STi - the Transformation (Winter Sport 3Ds have arrived!)

Hey guys, so I'm starting to put a *MOD BOOK* together, as Chris05Sti has done for his beloved Black Betty. My initial plan is to keep the car "somewhat" stock, but make a bunch of performace mods that shouldn't be too crazy. My current list I have on the mind is:

Handling:

* Whiteline Sway Bars (Front/Rear)
* Whiteline End-links

Engine:

* GrimmSpeed EWG Up Pipe Kit
* COBB SS 3" Turboback Exhaust (Question is, will GrimmSpeed EWG fit this pipe?)
* APS 65mm CAI

I should be able to run my stock turbo and intercool with these changes no problem ... but, I wanted to hear feedback from you guys? Am I missing something that will really make this setup work? I know down the road I can go FMIC, etc... but, I think that will be my "stage 2" of sorts. Or, am I trying to squeeze too much into the stock intercool? Suggestions?

Last edited by praha-sti; 10-24-08 at 04:22 AM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-08, 08:06 AM   #44
Chris05STi
Platinum Member
Feedback Score: 35 reviews

Fav Mod: Every single one!
My Subaru Parts for sale

Chris05STi will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Prague STi - the Transformation (MOD planning, need your guys' imput)

Thanks for the compliment, I try to document everything I can to help others learn/read/help them with their mod path.

As far as your setup, contact or e-mail GrimmSpeed to see if the EWG setup fits the Cobb DP.

May I add this to your list, you will further hate me I know ahhaha:

Suspension:
* Sway bars (They do more for the suspension than strut tower bars)
* Endlinks (To compliment the sway bars, I have seen people break stock endlinks with aftermarket sway bars)
*Anti-Lift Kit (WOW, makes your car handle like a freaking go-kart, I got the GT-Spec Race version, MY GOD its amazing!)
*Whiteline Steering Rack Bushings (Since your in there, why not and its cheap)

Engine:
* Walbro Fuel Pump (You will need this for the tune)
* NGK 1-Step colder spark plugs (You will need this for the tune)
* Some sort of engine management (You will need this to even get tuned, I prefer the Cobb AP)
* Turbosmart 38mm EWG or TiAL 38mm EWG (You may be able to go 44mm but on a stock turbo I would go for a 38mm)

Thats all I can think of, let me know what you think.
2002 Midnight Black Pearl Subaru WRX
1986 Black Chevy Camaro

On Order:
My Journal
JDM Ballers Club Member #6
642WHP on e85, 484WHP& 408WTQ on pump (Conservative Tunes)
Tuned at EFI Logics
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 10-17-08, 02:45 PM   #45
praha-sti
Donating Member

My Subaru Parts for sale

Default Re: Prague STi - the Transformation (MOD planning, need your guys' imput)

Leave it to Chris to break a man's wallet :-)

Well, you're right on the sway-bars ... the strut tower bars are almost worthless (just buy new springs will do the trick I reckon). I think I can leave the sway bars out too ... for $$$$$$ sake.

As for the TurboSmart or TiAL 38mm EWG ... you recommend these over the Grimm?

Also, as for engine management -- this is gonna sound stupid, but how come folks need play with the engine computer? Doesn't the computer change what's needed based upon what's going on? So, if I add new turbo, headers, etc... it should adjust itself, no? Or, does it only adjust within a certain "band" of changes? I am debating this with folks who say if you add new mods, the computer will make the changes automatically -- I don't agree, but I thought I'd ask ...

Otherwise, your suggestions sound good -- I know for a fact the fuel pump will be needed (forgot to include that initially) .... the lift kit, etc... all that can come later I suppose. :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris05STi View Post
Thanks for the compliment, I try to document everything I can to help others learn/read/help them with their mod path.

As far as your setup, contact or e-mail GrimmSpeed to see if the EWG setup fits the Cobb DP.

May I add this to your list, you will further hate me I know ahhaha:

Suspension:
* Sway bars (They do more for the suspension than strut tower bars)
* Endlinks (To compliment the sway bars, I have seen people break stock endlinks with aftermarket sway bars)
*Anti-Lift Kit (WOW, makes your car handle like a freaking go-kart, I got the GT-Spec Race version, MY GOD its amazing!)
*Whiteline Steering Rack Bushings (Since your in there, why not and its cheap)

Engine:
* Walbro Fuel Pump (You will need this for the tune)
* NGK 1-Step colder spark plugs (You will need this for the tune)
* Some sort of engine management (You will need this to even get tuned, I prefer the Cobb AP)
* Turbosmart 38mm EWG or TiAL 38mm EWG (You may be able to go 44mm but on a stock turbo I would go for a 38mm)

Thats all I can think of, let me know what you think.

Old 10-17-08, 03:05 PM   #46
ToeKutter
Advanced Mastery Level III
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Car: 09 OBP "The Hearse"
Fav Mod: Shiney stuff
My Subaru Parts for sale

ToeKutter is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by praha-sti View Post
Also, as for engine management -- this is gonna sound stupid, but how come folks need play with the engine computer? Doesn't the computer change what's needed based upon what's going on? So, if I add new turbo, headers, etc... it should adjust itself, no? Or, does it only adjust within a certain "band" of changes? I am debating this with folks who say if you add new mods, the computer will make the changes automatically -- I don't agree, but I thought I'd ask ...
Certain parts of the ECU "learn", but no, not the whole ECU. That's why you need to re-tune the ECU to work with your current setup. Now, an aftermarket ECU will allow you to tweak even more settings than the stock one, so that only becomes neccessary after a certain point in your modding journey. I'll let the experts chime in on the specifics, but I think this would be the correct high-level overview.

Also, the "Engine management" he's referring to is just re-flashing (re-tuning) of your stock ECU, not getting the aftermarket ECU. Google for Cobb's AccessPort for more info....
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 10-17-08, 08:29 PM   #47
Chris05STi
Platinum Member

My Subaru Parts for sale

^What he said. With running the EWG, you DEF need a tune. You actually need to find a tuner thats local! Find a really good tuner, and go with what they feel comfortable tuning with. The Grimmspeed EWG kit is fine, but you actually need an EWG to put on it, TiAL and Turbosmart are good ones to go with. You will def need 1 step colder spark plugs and I may suggest getting a prodrive boost solenoid to further aid in the control of boost. You def need a tune to run what your looking to buy.
1986 Black Chevy Camaro

On Order:
My Journal
Tuned at EFI Logics
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 10-19-08, 03:26 PM   #48
praha-sti
Donating Member

My Subaru Parts for sale

Hey guys,

Yeah, I figured that'd be the answer you guys give about the ECU -- but, wanted to ask.

ToeKutter: Cobb won't sell to me because I'm in Europe, and they (Cobb) say they don't support EDM Scoobies. So, I am gonna be stuck with Ecutek or a manual map made on ECuflash/RomRaider.

Chris: I'll check into TiAL and Turbosmart -- those seem like the most common EWGs that everybody is using. Ithought the GrimmSpeed came with everything I needed, but apparently, I need to do more homework :-)

And note taken on the boost solenoid and spark plugs!

Old 10-19-08, 03:41 PM   #49
Chris05STi
Platinum Member

My Subaru Parts for sale

Sounds good!!!
1986 Black Chevy Camaro

On Order:
My Journal
Tuned at EFI Logics
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 10-20-08, 08:49 AM   #50
ToeKutter
Advanced Mastery Level III
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Car: 09 OBP "The Hearse"
Fav Mod: Shiney stuff
My Subaru Parts for sale

ToeKutter is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by praha-sti View Post
ToeKutter: Cobb won't sell to me because I'm in Europe, and they (Cobb) say they don't support EDM Scoobies. So, I am gonna be stuck with Ecutek or a manual map made on ECuflash/RomRaider.
I've been playing with ROMRaider and Open Source recently and it seems like they support a lot of different stuff, AND from what I heard/read, a lot of tuners are using the software. Not sure what the situation in Europe is, but finding a tuner that uses open source software would be really cool for you. You're not "stuck" in any way, there's a lot of support and documentation out there, and the software is just as powerful as any other (expensive) solution. Except this one is FREE! Hard to argue with that!
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement