ICE/Security Throwing an idea out, see what pros/cons i can get - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
Throwing an idea out, see what pros/cons i can get
Throwing an idea out, see what pros/cons i can get
Go Back   STI Forums > > > ICE/Security Throwing an idea out, see what pros/cons i can get

Old 09-10-07, 02:46 PM   #1
Dira2961
Becoming A Contributor
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Car: 05 STi
Fav Mod: Nur Spec R
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Dira2961 is on a distinguished road
Default Throwing an idea out, see what pros/cons i can get

So, in my 05 STi I have an older Alpine HU (before they started that dumb blue and red lighting on it) JL compents with kick panels (in the front floor which can be removed when i want) and an Alpine 4 channel powering these. Now as far as subs, I want something that isnt in a big dumb box in the back. The idea a buddy of mine who is a certified installer and I have come up with is the shallow mount Pioneer 8" subs in custom boxes that can be taken out when i want/need as well. Sounds like a great idea to me and i cant really see any downsides to it. But, I know there has to be some thats why im putting the idea here so someone can give me some cons to this idea since it sounds great in my head and its hard to dispute something against yourself that sounds like the ideal solution.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-07, 02:52 PM   #2
holycow
Advanced Mastery Level I
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Car: 07 Subaru WRX STi
Fav Mod: Stage 2 :D
My Subaru Parts for sale

holycow is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Throwing an idea out, see what pros/cons i can get

8s? eeehh.. I would go with an audiointegrations 10" or 12" box for the impreza. Fits in teh back corner, looks OEM, dones't block access to the spare tire, 1 bolt holds it in. Can't go wrong.

http://www.audiointegrations.citymax...ge/3182186.htm
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 09-10-07, 04:41 PM   #3
Dira2961
Becoming A Contributor

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Sorry, I forgot to mention when i say in the back, I meant having them built in the rear floor and being carpeted to match. That was the reason for 8s.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-07, 07:40 PM   #4
Greg
Master Contributor Level 2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Car: 2006 - CGM
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Greg is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dira2961 View Post
Sorry, I forgot to mention when i say in the back, I meant having them built in the rear floor and being carpeted to match. That was the reason for 8s.
I'm not really tracking with your install idea. Where are you going to put the custom boxes?

FWIW, at one time (long ago) I was looking at doing two 8" Pioneer shallow mounts in small boxes under the seat. Its an appealing idea, when compared to the "dumb box" in the trunk. In the end I decided against the 8"s as it wasn't going to be keeping with the sound quality and output levels of the rest of my system. Also it allowed me to use the under seat location for the amps. I have a AI 12" enclosure that will be going in the trunk when the driver arrives. Believe me, the AI box is far from dumb!
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 09-10-07, 08:45 PM   #5
Dira2961
Becoming A Contributor

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Um, its kinda hard to explain. But, since nobody ever rides with me except in the front seat, was gonna put both my driver seat in the position that i drive in and the passenger seat in a comfortable position, then measure and make the enclosures in the floor board.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 09-11-07, 08:00 AM   #6
holycow
Advanced Mastery Level I
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Car: 07 Subaru WRX STi
Fav Mod: Stage 2 :D
My Subaru Parts for sale

holycow is on a distinguished road

I think in the long run you would end up regretting it. Horrible idea in my opinion.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 09-11-07, 09:05 AM   #7
Greg
Master Contributor Level 2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Car: 2006 - CGM
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Greg is on a distinguished road

Oh, I see. You are talking about the floor area behind the front seats. If you never have passengers, I can see why this might seem feasible. Personally I'm not really a fan of the idea. But then I regularly use my rear seats. If I didn't need rear seats, I would have bought a two seater. Regardless, its your car and you get to do with it what you want. I think it could be made to work, and perhaps you could even gets 10's in there. Given the other options for subs in this car, I think, designwise you can do a lot better. I don't like that the subs would be visible from outside. I don't like that the design "disables" the rear seats. I don't like that you are intending to make them removable, which means they are not secured with a bolt. In a rollover crash, those things would be bouncing around like a pachinko ball.

Not that I want to encourage you, but the idea reminded me of a 911 install I saw a while back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by STI<>GTO View Post
And finally, the sub enclosure. It holds a pair of JL 8W0-8's. The carpet blends a lot better than the pics suggest, and it's not as large as it looks. Four magnets hold the top trim panel onto the box for easy removal if he ever needs to get back there. Pretty surprised at the output from a pair of low-tech eights, I like 'em.

Before you spend a dim on the idea, I would COMPLETELY map out your entire system, get quotes and ensure you can live with the prices, and amp locations.

Its already been said, but if you don't want a "big dumb box" the AI enclosure is excellent. Its removable (sort of) and is held down with a bolt. When you start looking at the cost having two custom enclosures built, the AI box becomes very reasonable. I think the bass response out of one 12" driver would be quite a bit better than two 8's.

If I HAD to do 8's in the cabin, I'd have the boxes built so the fit under the seats. You can also ping Rick an Raamaudio to see if he's been able to the underseat sub business going again. For a while he was making a sub that fits under the passenger seat. It included a 10" driver and didn't take any cabin space.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement