Tires/Wheels Considering buying new wheels for winter tires - questions. - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
Considering buying new wheels for winter tires - questions.
Considering buying new wheels for winter tires - questions.
Go Back   STI Forums > > > Tires/Wheels Considering buying new wheels for winter tires - questions.

Old 09-20-06, 01:52 PM   #1
Otis
Becoming A Contributor
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Otis is on a distinguished road
Default Considering buying new wheels for winter tires - questions.

I have been debating the eternal question of whether to buy dedicated winter tires vs. going with all-seasons for my 2005 STI. Right now, I am leaning towards buying a set of new wheels and tires to swap out when the winter months get here. I have more or less decided on a set of tires that would be appropriate (Probably some Blizzak LM-25s).

My question, though, is about wheels. I don't see myself buying a new set of OEM wheels, though that would be nice - just too expensive. Tirerack recommends some cheapie $99 appiece wheels that look decent enough and can be bought pre-installed with whatever tires I choose.

Any caveats or pitfalls that I should be aware of when buying a cheap set of wheels? Other than just picking out a set that I like aeshetically, what other considerations are there? The "cheapie wheels" they recommend are These Guys. I think they look ok, and they are going to be covered in salt and grime much of the winter anyway so it probably doesn't matter.

The winters here in Kansas City aren't usually too bad, but we are usually good for a couple of snowstorms a year, and we get a lot of ice when the temps get low. Perhaps a set of winter tires is overkill for the weather we get here, but I think it's a fair compromise to being able to keep the stock summer tires on during the warmer months since they handle so well.

Any thoughts?
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-06, 02:09 PM   #2
Singletrack
Advanced Mastery Level I
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Fav Mod: La Quarta Stella
My Subaru Parts for sale

Singletrack is an unknown quantity at this point

Do a search for Rota wheels - I think that is your best bet. If you really love the oem wheels, you can probably find a set here, on nasioc, or ebay for fairly cheap (compared to retail).

I would never run all seasons on the STi personally : )
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 09-20-06, 05:27 PM   #3
Web_Foot_STi
Advanced Contributor Level 4

Car: 04 Subaru WRX STi
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Web_Foot_STi is an unknown quantity at this point

The only real disadvantage of the TireRack $99 cheapie's is that they weigh ~24 pounds each as a pose to the <17 pound stockers. For <$400 a set there are compromises. You get what you pay for.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-06, 05:52 PM   #4
Otis
Becoming A Contributor

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Otis is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Web_Foot_STi
The only real disadvantage of the TireRack $99 cheapie's is that they weigh ~24 pounds each as a pose to the <17 pound stockers. For <$400 a set there are compromises. You get what you pay for.
How much of a real world performance loss are we talking with the weight difference? Enough to notice? A tick or two of 0-60 time perhaps? This would be my first foray into aftermarket wheels so I really have no idea what to expect. Those wheels look ok, and obviously I don't expect the same performance as the stock wheels/tires, but I'd just like to know what I'm in for before committing a grand or more to a wheel/tire setup.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 09-20-06, 06:17 PM   #5
Web_Foot_STi
Advanced Contributor Level 4

Car: 04 Subaru WRX STi
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Web_Foot_STi is an unknown quantity at this point

The stock BBS Wheels area tough act to follow. For less than $1,000 each I have yet to find anything lighter.

I would hope that on the street, on winter tyres, that you would not notice the heaver wheels. They will hurt acceleration a tiny bit and road holding will be slightly worse on rough roads. It's all unsprung, rotating weight.

Here is a fresh Nasioc thread on the subject:

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=1094369

Oh, and the SSR Comps at 13 pounds don't fit the STi. The SSR GT 7's that do fit, and that I have, weigh 0.2 pound more than the BBS wheels...

As you may have seen posted the stock tyres are down right dangerous on the frozen stuff. Winter tyres had better not have the same crappy performance.

Last edited by Web_Foot_STi; 09-20-06 at 06:21 PM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement