IW STi Forum banner

Im wondering when my windshield is going to bust out....

Exterior 
2K views 23 replies 18 participants last post by  Wazazell 
#1 · (Edited)
When my car was stock i very rarely got the infamous cracking windshield noise and i never thought too much of it. Now with my modified suspension, I hear it all the time.

Im seriously wondering when my windshield is going to bust out or crack or something....

#3 ·
yeah me either!! mine is doing more in the cold obviously.....:)

#7 ·
I agree with the thread starter. Ever since the whiteline sways went in I hear my windshield crack and crunch when I turn corners now. It is obviously worse when it's cold but some days I can't really come up with a good explanation it doesn't do it at all even when cold. Go figure.

#9 ·
Rev - did you specifically ask for a stronger replacement or was that what the windshield installers are getting?

Mine did the same thing basically. Heard the sound of a rock hitting the windshield when driving, I looked around and saw nothing so I figured it was just a glance. About an hour later it literally just like you said split in half. The rock hit below the driver's side dash in the black area, went up about 4 inches, and then made a hard right all the way across to the other side.

Seems like this area would be 1) the weakest part of the windshield and/or 2) the place that the twisting body puts the most stress on it.

I don't think the creaking noises are enough to break the windshield but once the integrity is compromised by a rock chip (mine was the size of pencil eraser) in the right spot it'll crack.

#11 ·
It's definitely more noticable in the cold weather. Perhaps it has something to do with the weatherstripping/molding around it not having as much give in the colder weather.

I put on a cusco version II lower arm brace that attches to 4 points on the subframe to tighten up the front. It lessened the creaking up a good bit, but I still hear it every now and then during these cold months when entering and exiting my driveway at an angle.

#12 ·
i don't know what it is with these cars, but i'm on my 4th windsheild. rocks have taken them out. in case you ever have to replace it, the 02-03 impreza windsheild DOES fit, they will all tell you it doesn't it. the STi one is like 300 more at every windsheild place i went to.

#14 ·
hey guys i am a master auto glass tech and a auto glass shop owner ,and your windshield under no circumstances will ever burst or fall out , you are prob just getting some body flex in the car thats tweaking on the glass a little.

#16 ·
I'm bone stock and my windsheild has been making a creaking noise since day 1. It is only noticable when going up the ramp/incline to my driveway. The second I hit the bump I can hear the window being stressed and it sounds like it's going to give at any moment.

#17 ·
siusti said:
When my car was stock i very rarely got the infamous cracking windshield noise
lol so thats what it was. Heard my windsheild crack the other day when at a red light. I thought it might have been a rock or tree branch bouncing off the windsheild but i wasnt moving so i was wondering what that loud noise was.

#18 ·
The stock windshiel blew goats and cracked at the car wash when it was 45 degrees out and I blasted hot water on it to get dried bugs off. Of course Subaru didn't cover it (big surprise) and I had it replaced with a NON OEM windshield. It is a much better windhield and doesn't have the stupid dotted thir visor but rather a dark tinted strip along the top that looks very classy on the car and goes with the interior. I would just replace it if you are really worried about it shattering on you while driving.

#24 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.