STi vs. SUV in the snow
Go Back   STI Forums > > > Tires/Wheels STi vs. SUV in the snow

Old 10-22-05, 06:58 PM   #1
fourseasonsandles
Advanced Mastery Level V
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Fav Mod: EFI Logics!
My Subaru Parts for sale

fourseasonsandles will become famous soon enoughfourseasonsandles will become famous soon enough
Default STi vs. SUV in the snow

This goes out to all of you that have an STi and also have experience with SUVs in the wintertime.

I currently drive an 01 Chevy S10 Blazer (no sport package or wide stance). It has Bridgestone Dueler A/T with Revo on it and 4 wheel. I’ve had it for about 2 years now and been through 2 winters. With the tire and 4 wheel combo.. this thing is unstoppable in the snow in Upstate NY. I have tried to get it stuck in ditches and so on and it just claws its way out. I also enjoy cruising down the highway at decent rate when its covered in snow and everyone else seems to be crawling. The Bridgestone Dueler tires are rated a 9 in the snow on Tirerack.com

My question is how would an STi with Pirelli PZero Nero M&S (Rated 7.5 in the snow) compare to the SUV for traction and performance? Obviously not for clawing out of ditches, but all around drivability in the snow. Id like to have a good all around tire that also performs well in the snow. The Pzeros seem to be the best option for this. I also know that the STi's all wheel drive system is more advanced than standard 4 wheel on the Blazer. My goal is to have a set of tires that i can use year around like the Bridgestone Duelers, because most of my cash is going into the STi and dont think i can afford another set of rims and tires. So what do you guys think? Any feedback would be appreciated.

Last edited by fourseasonsandles; 10-23-05 at 05:57 AM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-05, 07:09 PM   #2
sgtpeper
Platinum Member

Car: '08 OBP
Fav Mod: A Car Wash
My Subaru Parts for sale

sgtpeper is an unknown quantity at this point

This belongs in Wheels/Tires

My response:
The STi wont be clawing its way out of any ditches - not big ones anyway. The car is not as high as the S10 so clearence comes into play. It also will most likely not have qiute as much traction as the tires you have on your truck.

I used to own a ZR2 Blazer and I agree - in the winter it was unstoppable

'11 STi - Limited

Notables of the Past: '08 STi Stage 1, '84 Alfa Spider, '05 Stage 2 STi, '97 Cobra 'vert, '95 GSX, '87&'88 Supra Turbo, '87 Scirocco 16v, '67 Triumph TR2000 & GT6, '79 Beetle 'vert
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 10-22-05, 07:12 PM   #3
fourseasonsandles
Advanced Mastery Level V

Fav Mod: EFI Logics!
My Subaru Parts for sale

fourseasonsandles will become famous soon enoughfourseasonsandles will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtpeper
This belongs in Wheels/Tires
sorry for posting this in the wrong spot.. i figured it was an SUV vs STi comparison more so than tires..
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-05, 08:01 PM   #4
sgtpeper
Platinum Member

Car: '08 OBP
Fav Mod: A Car Wash
My Subaru Parts for sale

sgtpeper is an unknown quantity at this point

Hmm guess it could go either way

'11 STi - Limited

Notables of the Past: '08 STi Stage 1, '84 Alfa Spider, '05 Stage 2 STi, '97 Cobra 'vert, '95 GSX, '87&'88 Supra Turbo, '87 Scirocco 16v, '67 Triumph TR2000 & GT6, '79 Beetle 'vert
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 10-22-05, 08:38 PM   #5
Flycaster
Advanced Mastery Level III
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

My Subaru Parts for sale

Flycaster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourseasonsandles
Id like to have a good all around tire that also performs well in the snow.
There's your difference. If you put the same tire (tread and size) on both cars, it'd be a toss-up provided the snow isn't too deep. In snow more than 5" deep, the STi just becomes a plow. And if you put narrow (205's) studded snow tires on the STi, it'll go places neither car will go with normal all-season tires.

The best option is to have a dedicated set for summer, and one for winter. In my experience, all-season tires do neither very well.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 10-23-05, 09:41 AM   #6
wdb
Immoderate
Feedback Score: 10 reviews

My Subaru Parts for sale

wdb is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flycaster
The best option is to have a dedicated set for summer, and one for winter. In my experience, all-season tires do neither very well.
Ditto that.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 10-23-05, 10:50 AM   #7
Sideoiler
Advanced Mastery Level II

Car: 05 WRB STi
My Subaru Parts for sale

Sideoiler is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdb
Ditto that.
yup. I use Blizzak ws-50s
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 10-23-05, 12:03 PM   #8
RSVCHAD
Advanced Contributor Level 3

Car: Was: 05 Aspen White
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

RSVCHAD is an unknown quantity at this point

As far as getting traction in the snow, given equal tires, I'd still give the advantage to the truck/SUV due to the ground clearance. Remeber though that a small protion of winter driving is getting moving. A more important part of winter driving is being able to turn and stop and this is where a lighter STI with a lower center of gravity will have the upper hand over a bulky SUV.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 10-23-05, 01:29 PM   #9
aspensti05
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

My Subaru Parts for sale

aspensti05 is on a distinguished road

STi vs SUV in general(not your S10) STi wins hands down. Since the STi comes with high performance summer tires it is pretty safe to say any owners living in a location that sees snow will buy snow tires.

The STi's lighter weight(faster to stop, better handling),
the DCCD AWD(better than many SUVs esp X5, X3, etc),
the manual transmission (ability to properly engine brake, 99% of SUVs are automatics),
the lower center of gravity(nuff said),
and the snow tires(most SUV owners leave their stock crappy all season or knobby mud/offroad tires on all year round, these tires are also usually wider which doesn't cut through the snow as well) means the STi is better.

The SUV has few pros. Mainly higher clearance(esp compared to those of us who are lowered) and they have a stronger, heavier front bumper rather than plastic front to damage.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 10-23-05, 01:58 PM   #10
hewmanbing
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

hewmanbing is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspensti05
STi vs SUV in general(not your S10) STi wins hands down. Since the STi comes with high performance summer tires it is pretty safe to say any owners living in a location that sees snow will buy snow tires.

The STi's lighter weight(faster to stop, better handling),
the DCCD AWD(better than many SUVs esp X5, X3, etc),
the manual transmission (ability to properly engine brake, 99% of SUVs are automatics),
the lower center of gravity(nuff said),
and the snow tires(most SUV owners leave their stock crappy all season or knobby mud/offroad tires on all year round, these tires are also usually wider which doesn't cut through the snow as well) means the STi is better.

The SUV has few pros. Mainly higher clearance(esp compared to those of us who are lowered) and they have a stronger, heavier front bumper rather than plastic front to damage.
word, how many suv's (snow tires or not) can take a snow-covered turn at 70+mph?
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement