Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
2006 sti
2006 sti
Go Back   STI Forums > > > Maintenance 2006 sti

Old 08-25-19, 03:44 PM   #1
Unregistered

My Threads

Default 2006 sti

I just bought a 2006 STI with 84k miles with an unmolested motor. As far as I know, there hasn’t been any engine parts replaced. The car still runs strong, but I wanted to know where I should start with replacing parts? I’m planning on throwing a cobb stage 2 kit in it. So I don’t want issues with the motor once I do so.. thoughts?

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-19, 03:35 AM   #2
Jay11STI
Advanced Mastery Level I
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Car: 2011 SWP STi Sedan
Fav Mod: EWG & The Look On Your Face
My Subaru Parts for sale

Jay11STI has a spectacular aura aboutJay11STI has a spectacular aura aboutJay11STI has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: 2006 sti

I think you should first look into doing maintenance on the car prior to modding it. Look at the drive belts and replace as needed. Change all the fluids (Trans and diffs). Even change the brake fluid. Look over the brakes and tires. Take care of any oil or fluid leaks. Look into replacing the PCV valve if it hasent been done. When was the last time spark plugs were replaced? If they haven't been done, now would be a good time to do it. While you are there, might as well do a compression test prior to modding just so you know how healthy the engine is.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 08-26-19, 04:15 PM   #3
revilingfool
Advanced Contributor Level 3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Car: 12 LR STi
Fav Mod: Coming Soon
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

revilingfool will become famous soon enough

84k miles means its time for a timing belt, idlers, water pump, tranny fluid flush, rear diff flush, clutch fluid and brake fluid bleed, new rotors if they haven't been done and pads, spark plugs.

You should also give all joints a once over as even though miles are lower, the car is quite old. Depending on what state you live in, some of them will need work. Listen very closely for clunks in the suspension, depending on how it was driven (dirt roads etc) its likely time for new coils.

You should compression test it while you have the plugs out. Make sure you get the OEM timing kit, Rock Auto has it.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-19, 07:55 AM   #4
mheyman
Gold Member
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Fav Mod: Camber Camber Camber
My Subaru Parts for sale

mheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of light

Because you don't know its history: a lot of what revingfool wrote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by revilingfool View Post
84k miles means its time for a timing belt, idlers, water pump, tranny fluid flush, rear diff flush, clutch fluid and brake fluid bleed, . . . spark plugs.
Inspect brakes; replace as necessary. This is true once in a while of any car once in a while.
Compression and leak-down will provide one indicator of life.

Cobb stage 2 will make quite a difference in that car. You won't appreciate how much if you haven't driven it for a while. Learn to use the AP and monitor.

If you think you should have lower r's at cruise you're in the wrong car

I become a more loyal IAG customer every time I drive my STI

Last edited by mheyman; 08-27-19 at 08:00 AM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement