Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Car: SWP 2014 STI
Fav Mod: Accessport V3
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

xphilliesfinestx is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 2007 sti

Hey everyone,
Haven’t been on the forums for a bit and glad to be back. I originally had a 14 STI and sold it so my wife could have a SUV and for the purchase of a new home. Now it’s been about 4 years and my wife finally gave me the green light to buy another STI since my beater is on its last legs lol. Now my favorite year has always been 06-07 STI, question is why are they still so $$$. What are things I should look for in buying a used STI, especially in that model. Thank you for your time guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by xphilliesfinestx; 08-05-19 at 01:07 PM. Reason: Add more info
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-19, 09:10 PM   #2
SubySal
Advanced Mastery Level I
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Fav Mod: everything done so far
My Subaru Parts for sale

SubySal has a spectacular aura aboutSubySal has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: 2007 sti

Before you buy a 2004–07 Subaru WRX STI, here’s what you need to know

A lot of people have an affinity for the GD chassis STI and not that many were made.

Look at everything on the car from engine health to bushing condition. This is an AWD turbo-charged 12 year old car. Chances are it was run hard. These cars produce a lot of heat and it tends to bake a lot of things in the engine bay ...like hoses, wires and electrical connectors. Pretty common really for high HP turbo cars with a small engine bay.

Buy the best example you can afford. The more you try and save now on the car purchase the more you will likely spend later. I picked up my 2006 in 2011 with 37k and it was run harder than I initially thought. The car was lowered and the front struts must have been bottomed out. Enough to cone the front strut mount so I had to straighten them. I noticed too stock parts were reinstalled. So some things must have been "put back to stock". Some of this is difficult to notice until you start tearing it down. Especially in the case of the 06-07 as the bottom of the car is covered by plastic panels.

Be prepared to spend some money on maintenance items like fluids and repairs of parts that have seen too much heat, cold, or wear. Try and steer clear of cars that have been heavily modded (unless that's what you want) and especially if things like wire harnesses have been hacked for stereo installs and such. In general keep an eye out for any mod someone did that doesn't look quality. You'll have to go through the car pretty thoroughly if you want a reliable daily driver. The cars themselves are OK, but their owners may have installed some poor quality mods during ownership that will affect their reliability... or they've just been run especially hard and maintenance items like fluid changes were neglected.

Last edited by SubySal; 08-05-19 at 09:13 PM.
Likes 2 Dislikes 0

Old 08-05-19, 09:17 PM   #3
xphilliesfinestx
Advanced Contributor Level 3

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Thank you for your response, I definitely want one with the least mods possible. With what your telling me I’m kind of worried about buy such an old car. Problem is I’m not such a fan of these new STIs. I feel like they look like a luxury car. I like that old rally look. I just have to be patient until I find a lower milage car with hardly any mods. None would be ideal but the chances are probably slim.

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-19, 09:38 PM   #4
SubySal
Advanced Mastery Level I
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Fav Mod: everything done so far
My Subaru Parts for sale

SubySal has a spectacular aura aboutSubySal has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by xphilliesfinestx View Post
Thank you for your response, I definitely want one with the least mods possible. With what your telling me I’m kind of worried about buy such an old car. Problem is I’m not such a fan of these new STIs. I feel like they look like a luxury car. I like that old rally look. I just have to be patient until I find a lower milage car with hardly any mods. None would be ideal but the chances are probably slim.

Sure thing. I feel the same. I have no desire to own a newer STI. 2006 is actually my cut-off. I feel like you do need some resources to own an older STI and keep it in good condition. Of course I autocross mine regularly so the needs for my car are different than your street going daily.

It took me a few months to locate my car. That said every once in a great while a clean, adult-owned, stock example pops up. I saw one not too long ago. If I had the resources I may have bought that one too.

As far as my ownership experience goes I have gone through most of the car and replaced a lot of parts proactively. The engine is still stock. I have worn out and broken a few parts and though I had a scare here and there I don't think I've had to replace a failed part that wasn't worn out or broken from racing.

The car offers a unique driving experience too. It's more refined than a muscle car, but not as refined as a Porsche. It's a nice compromise. It's mostly composed, but will hang it out every once in a while too just to keep things spicy.
Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Old 08-06-19, 04:16 AM   #5
mheyman
Gold Member
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Fav Mod: Camber Camber Camber
My Subaru Parts for sale

mheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of light

Everything SS wrote above. If you re really going to buy a GD (old body style) then be willing to travel. My biggest issue would be rust. No rust first, then everything else. What else to hep you with will depend on the age and condition of the car.

Do you expect to mod or keep it stock? If mod, how much - and this a a loaded question because just a down-pipe and tune will make a darn big difference and certainly worth doing for almost anyone, and then if you eliminate the stock terminal under-steer, you have the beginnings of a fast car - and when you realize that, it can be hard to stop . . .

But I asked because the answer may vary what you should buy

Clean GDs are getting high prices. 16+ STI are a better value and they are modern cars. I'm a GD fan, but for stock I'd buy a VA. To build is a different story.

Pay to have compression and leakdown done before you buy any old STI.

If you think you should have lower r's at cruise you're in the wrong car

I become a more loyal IAG customer every time I drive my STI
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 08-06-19, 09:17 AM   #6
xphilliesfinestx
Advanced Contributor Level 3

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

I would like to maybe do cold air intake and full exhaust. The issue is that I am a noob when coming into cars. So it takes me a lot longer to understand bc I have to either google or ask someone. What should the compression test values be?

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement