Thoughts/Review/Comparison Is the 04/05 STi a good choice? - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
Is the 04/05 STi a good choice?
Is the 04/05 STi a good choice?
Go Back   STI Forums > > > Thoughts/Review/Comparison Is the 04/05 STi a good choice?

Old 02-03-19, 07:39 AM   #1
AntonyH
Joined the Conversation
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Fav Mod: Coming Soon
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

AntonyH is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Is the 04/05 STi a good choice?

Hello everybody, I am new here. My reasonable dream car is the 04/05 STi, though im starting to think its not a very good idea. From scrolling through forums I'm noticing people having big issues with their cars like engine blow outs, turbo inlets breaking, timing belt going out, and all of this stuff that sounds very expensive.

I just wanted this car to have fun with it, and I don't really plan on modifying the engine at all, just a fun daily driver. Is this year of the car able to do that? Or is it more of a project car where you have to rebuild the engine? Thanks.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-19, 08:06 AM   #2
Jedi03
Advanced Contributor Level 2

Car: Blue 2009 STi Hatch
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Jedi03 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Is the 04/05 STi a good choice?

Keep on top of maintenance, get a pro tune even stock and you can have a good daily!
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 02-03-19, 01:40 PM   #3
8cd03gro
Advanced Mastery Level II

My Subaru Parts for sale

8cd03gro is a jewel in the rough8cd03gro is a jewel in the rough8cd03gro is a jewel in the rough

In terms of engine reliability those are some of the better years. Get a lowish mileage, relatively stock car and it should be solid.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-19, 04:09 AM   #4
mheyman
Gold Member
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Fav Mod: Camber Camber Camber
My Subaru Parts for sale

mheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of light

04/05 is an old car. Any brand, any model. 04/04 STIs were good cars, but if you can't or don't want to deal with an old car one way or another, buy a newer car.

I DD an 05 with almost 225K on it. So it's on its third timing belt, third set of brakes, at least two clutches (depending how you count a lot more). Most of its hoses have been replaced. a set of valve cover gaskets, air condtioning condenser, a wheel bearing, rear struts an exhaust system and an engine rebuild at 185K.

What "yours" would need depends on what you buy . . .

If you think you should have lower r's at cruise you're in the wrong car

I become a more loyal IAG customer every time I drive my STI

Last edited by mheyman; 02-04-19 at 08:00 AM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 02-05-19, 07:37 AM   #5
SubySal
Advanced Mastery Level I
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Fav Mod: everything done so far
My Subaru Parts for sale

SubySal has a spectacular aura aboutSubySal has a spectacular aura about

I don't want to be a downer, but I wish someone had told me this back in 1998...

A used turbo car requires a lot of attention. Not just because the car was likely run hard, but also because the previous owner likely didn't know what they were doing when they modded it and did way more harm then good. The STI is my dream car too. I knew I wanted a 2006 and I knew what I wanted to do to it. I essentially rebuilt the entire car after I bought it. You can look at my build thread for details.

As for 1998. I bought a 1988 Toyota Celica All-Trac-Turbo. I paid about $6k for it and it had 104k. I had a 1978 Toyota FJ40 I sold for almost $10K so I thought I was OK. Turns out not so much. The Celica ate through the $4k reserve and much more. I ended up having to unload it. If I knew then what I know now I would have taken the $10k and put it down on a brand new 2.5RS. Turns out I was finally able to do that in 2003. That was a great car.

It's not a matter of whether the STI is a good choice. New the 2004-2006 models were great cars. The problem is you need money to fix the abuse, neglect, and stupidity from the previous owners. My car had 38k on it when I picked it up in 2011 and I still had to do that. The drivetrain was well maintained, but I think the car was rallied a bit. There was some abuse I couldn't or didn't see when I bought it. There was probably a few $k worth of stuff I had to do I wasn't counting on. I replaced both subframes (I found out the car was curbed), all the plastic under the car, and pressed the front strut mounts back flat. The car must've been bottomed out pretty hard. Everything turned out fine, but I was prepared this time around.

The best was the spare tire was flat. Apparently one of the previous brain donors that owed the car drilled a hole right through the sidewall while I assume trying to mount a speaker box. I had been looking several months for a car already. Even back in 2011 an '06 was not especially easy to find.

In any case I do wish you the best of luck on your endeavor.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 02-05-19, 12:39 PM   #6
mheyman
Gold Member
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Fav Mod: Camber Camber Camber
My Subaru Parts for sale

mheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of light

2015 STi Limited Crystal Black Silica Original Owner $27,000

Sure $27K, but a newish car with a warranty! Shouldn't need anything for "years".

If you think you should have lower r's at cruise you're in the wrong car

I become a more loyal IAG customer every time I drive my STI
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 02-06-19, 09:19 AM   #7
Brewski6613
Becoming A Contributor

Car: Silver 2004 STi
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Brewski6613 is an unknown quantity at this point

As others have said, an 04/05 is an old car no matter which way you look at it. I bought my 04 about 3 years ago now, and I have had to do a lot of repairs to it due to its age. Its been mostly bushings, hoses, valve cover gaskets, o-rings, etc. My one bit of advice would be if you aren't willing or able to do work yourself, you'd probably be better off getting a newer model year. The parts themselves aren't all too expensive, but if you are paying someone, the labor will add up very quickly.

I will say, even though my car has cost me more than I thought and it's had its fair share of issues, I'm still very happy I bought it. The car is an absolute blast to drive and I love how un-refined and raw the 04 is. I do daily my car about 30 miles a day and it still enjoy it.

Best of luck in your decision!
Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Old 02-07-19, 03:41 PM   #8
stronzo
Contributor

Car: 04.5 STi
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

stronzo is on a distinguished road

Like everyone else said. Its a great car. (I personally think so). Just be careful when shopping for one, make sure the car is well maintained! it is normal for a car that old to have parts wear / break. Its normal wear and tear. Its the same for any other car at that age or high mileage.
As for the "Horror" stories that you are reading about. Pay close attention to what was going on. I'm sure its linked to some mod or hard driving.
Who knows you might be lucky and find one that was taken care of. My 04 just hit 41k!! But I took very good care of it and of course I had fun. Few Track days, Auto-x...etc

FYI, I do know what your plans are. But one thing to keep in mind is the 05 has stronger wheel bearings. You do notice this at the track. Under heavy breaking. Back then it was about $1k in parts for the 05 hub swap. not including rims
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 02-08-19, 06:44 AM   #9
liltoua
Becoming A Contributor

Car: Black 98 2.5rs
Fav Mod: 6 spd
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

liltoua is an unknown quantity at this point

If you had to pick between those two years go with the 05. They moved it to 5x114 with strong wheel bearings and you have more wheel choices . I have a theory, treat you car like you treat yourself and it will last. My brothers 05 STI is closing on 300k and all we've been doing is oil changes, timing belt water pump, and had to replace the turbo once. Maintenance has not been that bad considering how long we've had the car and how many miles it has.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 02-08-19, 07:07 AM   #10
yamahaSHO
BROtuner
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Car: 2005 WRB
Fav Mod: Equal Length Header
My Subaru Parts for sale

yamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant future

I'll be selling a very good condition 2005 w/ 40k miles in the next few months. Probably about as "well built" as you'll find and yet it does everything better than stock and looks it.

But the price will reflect it.

Last edited by yamahaSHO; 02-08-19 at 07:55 AM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement