Tires/Wheels Ultimate DD Tire? - MPSS/S-04 Pole Position? Aggressive All Season? - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
Ultimate DD Tire? - MPSS/S-04 Pole Position?  Aggressive All Season?
Ultimate DD Tire? - MPSS/S-04 Pole Position?  Aggressive All Season?
Go Back   STI Forums > > > Tires/Wheels Ultimate DD Tire? - MPSS/S-04 Pole Position? Aggressive All Season?

Old 10-03-14, 06:14 AM   #1
BlueScooby
Silver Member
Feedback Score: 6 reviews

Fav Mod: Recaro Pole Position and Shifter Bushings!
My Subaru Parts for sale

BlueScooby is a glorious beacon of lightBlueScooby is a glorious beacon of lightBlueScooby is a glorious beacon of lightBlueScooby is a glorious beacon of lightBlueScooby is a glorious beacon of light
Default Ultimate DD Tire? - MPSS/S-04 Pole Position? Aggressive All Season?

I asked this in my journal without any conversation, so I thought I'd post it out here and see what happened.
--------------------------------------------------
So I'm at work with a little free time and I find myself on tirerack.com again... I'm thinking of changing up my tires for the next round.

Right now I have 245/40/17 MPSS, which are great tires, but they are pricey as well as they dont come in 255/40/17 (which I'd rather have)... They are warrantied to 30K miles which is great, but we are taking my car everywhere we go, so mileage is racking up quick. I'd hate to waste most of these amazing (and expensive) tires on the highway...

SO, it appears that the next best thing might be the Bridgestone S-04 Pole Position. My biggest hesitation is mileage though, most tires I like have at least a few reviews of very short mileages. I'd really like to get at least 20K out of any tire I buy.

I'm even considering going to an aggressive all season (i cringe at the idea). Some of the all seasons out now have pretty good levels of grip and last much longer. I hate the idea of sacrificing all my car's performance just for a tire that will last a little longer; but on the street if I can maintain 90% of my grip and get 150% the tread life, then it will probably be worth it.

What do you guys think? Anyone have experience with the S-04s? Should I look to something like the Pilot Sport A/S 3?

My main concerns at this point are basically $/mile and total grip levels...

--------------------------------------------------

***Before you recommend one of the "extreme" summer tires, thats not what I'm looking for. I know they offer more grip, but they also don't last long and the big tread blocks get noisy... This car is my DD first and toy/track/auto-x second.

Bluescooby's 06 STI Journal
IG: BlueScooby06
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-14, 02:11 PM   #2
Wróbel
Advanced Contributor Level 1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Car: DGM 08
Fav Mod: UR Flaps
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Wróbel is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Ultimate DD Tire? - MPSS/S-04 Pole Position? Aggressive All Season?

I have 245 40 18 dws on my 08 STi. I feel that they perform well and they don't wear too fast.
I believe they are down to 160 per tire now for 18 inch.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 10-03-14, 05:01 PM   #3
BlueScooby
Silver Member

My Subaru Parts for sale

BlueScooby is a glorious beacon of lightBlueScooby is a glorious beacon of lightBlueScooby is a glorious beacon of lightBlueScooby is a glorious beacon of lightBlueScooby is a glorious beacon of light

those tires look pretty decent. they dont quite have the performance of the Michelin Pilot AS3, bu they are $25 a tire cheaper... so thats good.

Talked to a good friend today who seemed to be on the same page with me. For occasional auto-x/track (very minimal for me at the moment) the MPSS are a little over the top and pricey...

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-14, 05:35 PM   #4
LuvMyBlueSTI
Advanced Mastery Level I
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Car: WRBlue 10 STi
Fav Mod: Ankle Twitch Enhancer
My Subaru Parts for sale

LuvMyBlueSTI is on a distinguished road

I know it's blasphemy but last year I got Continental DWS's, in part because of a near-miss that I lost sleep over and partly because I got a great deal on them. They have been better than expected.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 10-03-14, 05:46 PM   #5
BlueScooby
Silver Member

My Subaru Parts for sale

Yeah i hear the "stay away from A/S" stuff all the time on here. But when 90% of my miles are around town with the family, short lived summer tires don't make sense . They sure are fun though...

Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Old 10-03-14, 07:13 PM   #6
Wróbel
Advanced Contributor Level 1

Car: DGM 08
Fav Mod: UR Flaps
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Wróbel is an unknown quantity at this point

^^ agreed. Here in colorado I get 3 months on summer tires haha. So it's kind of a waste to have summers on dirt road at 10k ft elevation. A/S all the way
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 10-03-14, 07:20 PM   #7
funks
Advanced Mastery Level I
Feedback Score: 13 reviews

My Subaru Parts for sale

funks will become famous soon enough

Why not get cheaper Summer Tires? Like the Sumitomo HTR Z III, or the Hankook Ventus V12 eko K110? Should still be much better than all season tires when romping around. Around 60% the price of the Michelin.

Costco has the best prices on MPSS tires (order it from costco online and free delivery / installation at your local costco) and usually have 70$ off, not sure what Tire Rack is smoking as they are quite a bit more expensive.

With that said, I do have two sets of wheels - General GMAX AS-03's on my stock BBS wheels (245/40/18), and I also have a spirited driving set which have Michellins MPSS on it (07 BBS wheels - 245/45/17). Paid a bunch of money but then again, the MPSS's will easily last me 4 to 5 years when I just use them during my spirited driving events from time to time.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 10-04-14, 04:29 AM   #8
SubySal
Advanced Mastery Level I
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Fav Mod: everything done so far
My Subaru Parts for sale

SubySal has a spectacular aura aboutSubySal has a spectacular aura about

If the weather didn't get cold here I'd probably just stay with the BFG Comp 2's I already have. They're inexpensive and so far have worked great for me. However, I live in Colorado so no joy there.

I just picked up a set of Hankook S1 Noble 2's for the winter. I haven't tried them yet, so we'll see. It seems they offer better dry handling then DWS', but DWS' do better in snow. I have a truck for snow and the Kooks were much less money so my choice was clear. I also have another set of wheels with Hankook RS3's for autocross. Because I get my kicks out on course I don't drive too crazy on the streets so loss in peak grip doesn't bother me too much. I also went with 245's and 9" wheels to stiffen up the sidewalls a bit and recover some grip so that should help.

update: Now that I have some time on them I'm liking the Hankook's. Great traction warm or cold and quiet too. I've done a full suspension so I could feel the sidewalls flexing when I first installed them. It was an easy fix though... I bumped the pressure a couple of pounds and now they feel pretty good.

Last edited by SubySal; 12-14-14 at 05:09 PM. Reason: tire update
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 10-04-14, 08:23 AM   #9
weSTie
Becoming A Contributor

Car: 07 STi LTD #512
Fav Mod: Coming Soon
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

weSTie is an unknown quantity at this point

[URL="http:// http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=General&tireModel=G-MAX+AS-03"]
I had never heard of these tires mentioned when I bought them, but the price and warranty had me sold.
One year and 15k miles later I'm really happy with my decision. I could pm you a pic of my tread wear if you'd like me to.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 10-04-14, 09:08 AM   #10
BlueScooby
Silver Member

My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by weSTie View Post
[URL="http:// http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=General&tireModel=G-MAX+AS-03"]

I had never heard of these tires mentioned when I bought them, but the price and warranty had me sold.

One year and 15k miles later I'm really happy with my decision. I could pm you a pic of my tread wear if you'd like me to.

Which tires?

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement