Tires/Wheels Falken RT615 VS RE070 on track day - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
Falken RT615 VS RE070 on track day
Falken RT615 VS RE070 on track day
Go Back   STI Forums > > > Tires/Wheels Falken RT615 VS RE070 on track day

Old 05-08-05, 04:26 AM   #1
STIroide
Becoming A Contributor
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

STIroide is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Falken RT615 VS RE070 on track day

I tracked my new Azenis yesterday. Since the track was the same last time with my RE070 , I can made some evaluation between both tires.

Track condition : shinny, 20C ,1.4 km track, top speed 180km/hr, best lap 49.68s, 15 mins track time
Tires: 44Psi front, 40 psi rear

Initial bite is about the same for both tires, tire noise on hard cornering is a little bit less significant on the azenis. The azenis stick at least as good as RE070. The tire is very predictable and the sidewall is pretty stiff, probably like the RE070. The bad part now the azenis on the last 3-4 mins is getting too hot and i'm loosing a bit of traction, the tire wear is a little bit more significant than the RE070. ( temp of tire A vs AA for RE070 ? ) So far I really like those tires for half the price of RE070 I can only recommend them... I will be soloing in a couple of weeks and the track speed will be more slow and I will post my impression ...
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-05, 09:00 AM   #2
wduvall
Advanced Contributor Level 1

Car: Silver '04 STi
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

wduvall is an unknown quantity at this point

Another review:

I had a track day with my 3 day old RT-615's yesterday (Sunday May 8). I too have driven this track many times previously with the stock RE070's, it is the Jefferson circuit at Summit Point. Weather was sunny, breazy and 78F.

My tire pressures, when cold at the beginning of the day were 33psi all around. The fronts were rolling over a little too much so I added air in small increments and an extra 4 lbs of air, for a total of 37 cold, did the trick for me on this track to help with the wear on the outside edge.

Turn in feel was about the same between the tires. I can feel the sidewall on the RT-615's is a little less stiff but close. I don't believe the RT-615's have as much dry grip as they slid a lot more for me then the RE070's. Now they were VERY predictable with their grip and when they did slide it was easy to feel modulate. Near the end of a 20 minute session if I pushed hard the entire time the tires did seem to loose some of their grip as I could feel them slide around a little more than usual. If I took it easy for 4-5 laps during the middle of the session I could run to the end without the tires loosing any grip.

Braking distances were nearly identical as I didn't need to adjust my distances at all for the RT-615's.

I think the RE070's have a little better grip than the RT-615's. I do want to say that Falken did a great job with this tire as I had the previous model, RT-215, and they really became greasy feeling after being pushed hard for just a few laps.

EDIT: My car, other than carbotech race pads and TWR slotted 2-piece front rotors, is stock.

Last edited by wduvall; 05-09-05 at 09:04 AM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 03-09-06, 07:03 AM   #3
JJ18Sniper
Advanced Mastery Level V
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Fav Mod: Diamond Black BBS RE's, S2K retrofit
My Subaru Parts for sale

JJ18Sniper is on a distinguished road

Are you guys running the 225's or 235's ... or even 245's version of the tire?

2005 WRX STi - OBP/Diamond Black BBS RE's
2017 Acura TLX - V6 SH-AWD, Tech Pkg
2005 Honda Aquatrax - R-12X Turbo Jetski

Journal - Modifications/Pics - Mikey Botti Tuned at EFI Logics - 354whp, 396 wtq @ 24Psi peak - 93 octane
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-06, 07:14 AM   #4
mx_9
Advanced Mastery Level I

Car: 04 STi
My Subaru Parts for sale

mx_9 is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm running 245/45/17 RT615s. I have mixed results thus far...the front lateral traction of the 615s is better than the 070s. Rear grip under throttle seems worse with the 615s. I need some warm weather for a full comparison.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 03-09-06, 07:20 AM   #5
muller_777
pwn n00bs
Feedback Score: 15 reviews

Car: '18 CBS STI
My Subaru Parts for sale

muller_777 will become famous soon enough

don't forget that since you had them so new, they so called have to be "worn in"
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement