Suspension/Stiffening Rear Diff Noise - Popping/grinding sound - New Drivetrain Mods - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
Rear Diff Noise - Popping/grinding sound - New Drivetrain Mods
Rear Diff Noise - Popping/grinding sound - New Drivetrain Mods
Go Back   STI Forums > > > Suspension/Stiffening Rear Diff Noise - Popping/grinding sound - New Drivetrain Mods

Old 07-16-10, 08:37 PM   #1
jordanretro1223
Advanced Mastery Level III
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Fav Mod: Stance GR+
My Subaru Parts for sale

jordanretro1223 is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Rear Diff Noise - Popping/grinding sound - New Drivetrain Mods

Ok, so I'm aware that it is well documented that the rear diff makes noise at or near full lock on the steering wheel going parking lot speeds stock but this is different.

I recently had the following suspension/drivetrain mods installed, mind you this sound WAS there before the mods (stock setup), just not as audible.

Whiteline RCA
Whiteline ALK - Standard
Kartboy rear outrigger bushings - race
Kartboy rear subframe lock bolts
TiC rear diff bushings - race

I got the mods installed in the middle of April 2010 and did hear an increase in noise but I haven't been driving the car frequently anymore at all so maybe I just forgot how loud it was?

Anyways, basically, when the steering wheel is at or near full lock (turning into parking spots, u-turns, sharp parking lot turns) at parking lot speeds I get a relatively loud grinding/popping noise coming from the rear of the car (rear diff).

I know the mods all advertise an increase in NVH but it seems excessive.

I'm just a little worried. Like I don't want anything to be wrong. If I can get some reassurance that it's normal I'll just ignore it as I knew going in I would get an increase in drivetrain noise.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-10, 12:06 AM   #2
AWSTi300
Advanced Contributor Level 1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Car: '06 Aspen White STi
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

AWSTi300 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Rear Diff Noise - Popping/grinding sound - New Drivetrain Mods

what kind of diff oil are u running?
i had a bad grinding noise when i ran redline fluid in the trans and rear diff, like BAD GRINDING noise, at parking lot speeds with the steering wheel full lock.
i changed out the fluids and the grinding noise was gone.

i also have similar suspension mods as u plus more.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 07-17-10, 08:57 AM   #3
icudruln
Advanced Mastery Level II
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Fav Mod: Ethanol
My Subaru Parts for sale

icudruln is an unknown quantity at this point

I thought those Rear Diff "Mods" made it go away; what fluid are you running? Did you see any change in how the car acts with the rear diff lock, bushings, etc?
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-10, 09:29 AM   #4
jordanretro1223

My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWSTi300 View Post
what kind of diff oil are u running?
i had a bad grinding noise when i ran redline fluid in the trans and rear diff, like BAD GRINDING noise, at parking lot speeds with the steering wheel full lock.
i changed out the fluids and the grinding noise was gone.

i also have similar suspension mods as u plus more.
Stock fluid. It could be on its way out I guess. I'm at 277xx miles now so maybe it just needs to be changed.

I will be getting it changed out at my 30k which I plan to have done in about a month or so. Planning on using Motul fluids in the transmission and diff.

What fluid did you change to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by icudruln View Post
I thought those Rear Diff "Mods" made it go away; what fluid are you running? Did you see any change in how the car acts with the rear diff lock, bushings, etc?
Stock fluid.

They don't get rid of any noises, they actually make them louder as the vendors warn an increase in NVH. The stock bushings are soft rubber ones and these are like hard plastic. Shifts feel way smoother.

I definitely like the mods and what they did. I'm just worried that something else may be wrong.

Last edited by jordanretro1223; 07-17-10 at 09:34 AM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 07-17-10, 09:48 AM   #5
Fearsys
Advanced Contributor Level 5

Car: SWP '07 STi
Fav Mod: TiC Super Shifter Set
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Fearsys is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordanretro1223 View Post
Kartboy rear outrigger bushings - race
Kartboy rear subframe lock bolts
TiC rear diff bushings - race
I had TiC install these upgrades on my '07 and have noticed the popping/grinding/banging sounds as well. I asked Tony if it increased noise levels and he said yes. I do notice these noises a lot more when the weather is hot and humid.
I am taking my car ti TiC in the next few weeks for an inspection and will point this to Tony too see if the noise is still ok.

Old 07-17-10, 11:28 AM   #6
CGMDan
Advanced Mastery Level II
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Fav Mod: The Driver
My Subaru Parts for sale

CGMDan is an unknown quantity at this point

I would use the stock Subaru LSD fluid. People don't have problems with it, where as people do have problems with just about every other fluid. If you look thru different threads, for every person who says they have "XXX" fluid and it works fine, you'll find others with the same fluid and they have problems.
Every car responds differently to fluids, the rear diff especially.

Old 07-17-10, 11:36 AM   #7
jordanretro1223

My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fearsys View Post
I had TiC install these upgrades on my '07 and have noticed the popping/grinding/banging sounds as well. I asked Tony if it increased noise levels and he said yes. I do notice these noises a lot more when the weather is hot and humid.
I am taking my car ti TiC in the next few weeks for an inspection and will point this to Tony too see if the noise is still ok.
It has been VERY hot and humid in DE the last month or so which is when I've noticed the noise the most.

As I said, I got these mods installed in April but it only now got very loud/noticeable.

Let me know what Tony says though. I'd be very interested in hearing TiC's feedback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGMDan View Post
I would use the stock Subaru LSD fluid. People don't have problems with it, where as people do have problems with just about every other fluid. If you look thru different threads, for every person who says they have "XXX" fluid and it works fine, you'll find others with the same fluid and they have problems.
Every car responds differently to fluids, the rear diff especially.
Point taken. I will look into it and research some more. I will also ask IAG what they think as they will be doing my 30k.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 07-17-10, 11:45 AM   #8
Got2Boostit2
Moderator Elite
Feedback Score: 18 reviews

Fav Mod: Hands down - Q Rack FTMFW Boy eee
My Subaru Parts for sale

Got2Boostit2 is a name known to allGot2Boostit2 is a name known to allGot2Boostit2 is a name known to allGot2Boostit2 is a name known to allGot2Boostit2 is a name known to allGot2Boostit2 is a name known to all

When I rode in an '04 with the "race" bushings I thought the rear diff was going to drop out of that car. It has not and that car has a lot of miles on it now. I went for the "comfort" version of the bushings as a result and do not have the same noise. I did notice an increase in gear whine, but nothing else. No pops, creaks, etc. Hope it is nothing serious.

Most of the creaks or pops from the rear have been loose sway bar link nuts in my experience, especially in parking lot manuevers. Found them loose again when I swapped in the RCE T2's a week or so ago.

"Lucille" is Sponsored by: Butler's Garage
Protune video
https://youtu.be/Xyx6G1yXqKc

If you have issues with moderation or other members, report the post or use the Private Support Forum to discuss. Located => https://www.iwsti.com/forums/private-support-forum/
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 07-17-10, 12:44 PM   #9
jordanretro1223

My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got2Boostit2 View Post
When I rode in an '04 with the "race" bushings I thought the rear diff was going to drop out of that car. It has not and that car has a lot of miles on it now. I went for the "comfort" version of the bushings as a result and do not have the same noise. I did notice an increase in gear whine, but nothing else. No pops, creaks, etc. Hope it is nothing serious.

Most of the creaks or pops from the rear have been loose sway bar link nuts in my experience, especially in parking lot manuevers. Found them loose again when I swapped in the RCE T2's a week or so ago.
Ok, so at least I'm not the only one who's had that much noise. I guess it's relatively normal? Maybe the hot/humid weather that we've been having in my area is compounding it as another member mentioned. The gear whine is also increased in my car too but most of that noise came from back when I did my short shifter and all those bushings.

I will check the rear endlink bolts though as that could be a possibility.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 07-17-10, 03:18 PM   #10
AWSTi300
Advanced Contributor Level 1

Car: '06 Aspen White STi
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

AWSTi300 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordanretro1223 View Post
What fluid did you change to?
motul gear competition for the rear diff, and i think motul gear 300 for the tranny.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement