Suspension/Stiffening Camber Bolt FAQ and Tutorial - Page 5 - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
Camber Bolt FAQ and Tutorial
Camber Bolt FAQ and Tutorial
Go Back   STI Forums > > > Suspension/Stiffening Camber Bolt FAQ and Tutorial

Old 04-20-10, 03:06 PM   #41
williaty
Becoming A Master Contributor
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Car: RBP 05 2.5RS Wagon
Fav Mod: Group N Lateral Link Bushings
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

williaty is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Camber Bolt FAQ and Tutorial

Steering Axis Inclination.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-10, 03:57 PM   #42
theGraySTiG
Advanced Mastery Level I

Fav Mod: seat time
My Subaru Parts for sale

theGraySTiG is an unknown quantity at this point

in my search for better understanding how bolts and plates change camber differently, and looking through a bunch of SAI articles, I came across a Whiteline response regarding the placement of the front camber bolts found here.

Quote:
Re: Fitting Front Camber Adjusters.

Secondly, "undersize" camber bolts are perfectly safe and recommended for road use if replacing the upper clevis bolts which takes the minor share of the load. (Lower bolt takes the majority). There are 3 large companies using this method, one of which is Monroe which has their product manufactured in Germany and is sold with TUEV approval. Whiteline bolts are between 1 3mm undersize depending on absolute size that is, a 12mm bolt has a smaller difference than a 17mm bolt, etc.

Jim Gurieff, Whiteline
Australia
So, Whiteline is claiming that the upper hole is safer because it takes less load than the lower hole. You state that the lower hole is safer because it is less likely to slip. I would think that the bolt taking less load would be less likely to slip, so my question is: Why would putting and aftermarket camber bolt in place of the stock one in the upper position would make it more likely to slip?

I'm trying to get all of this figured out before I go in for a fresh alignment next week, as I have new aftermarket camber bolts I was planning to use until talking to Jack from EFI at the track this past weekend. Now, I am a bit confused by the conflicting recommendations I am hearing, so I am trying to sort out and understand the facts in order to make the determination myself.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 04-20-10, 04:03 PM   #43
williaty

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

1) There's no argument that the top hole experiences lower shearing loads than the lower hole.

2) Because of #1, most vendors of aftermarket camber bolts call lower hole placement "for race use only".

3) I'm VERY willing to bet that "undersize" in Jim's statement is referring to shaft diameter, not lobe diameter. He's saying that, when replacing a "normal" OEM bolt with a camber bolt (such as in the Impreza rear end), the reduced shaft diameter of the camber bolt still provides sufficient tensile strength.

4) The reduced lobe diameter, not shaft diameter, is why you should never use aftermarket camber bolts in the upper front hole on an Impreza to replace the OEM camber bolt.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-10, 04:27 PM   #44
theGraySTiG
Advanced Mastery Level I

Fav Mod: seat time
My Subaru Parts for sale

theGraySTiG is an unknown quantity at this point

so, the actual lobe on aftermarket camber bolts is smaller than the OEM bolt's lobe, but it happens to be the same size as the lower bolt's diameter? If that is indeed the case, I can see why the upper hole would make it easier for the bolt to slip, but then it surprises me that the bolts would be designed that way by multiple companies with the intent of putting them in the upper hole.

I was just reading the online installation instructions from Ingalls (the bolts I bought from you guys at TiC), and although there are all kinds of disclaimers about these not being intended for racing use, it only specifies using just the upper hole or both holes. Of course, the TiC page where they are sold says the same thing you do about putting them in the lower hole.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 04-20-10, 06:43 PM   #45
williaty

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by theGraySTiG View Post
so, the actual lobe on aftermarket camber bolts is smaller than the OEM bolt's lobe, but it happens to be the same size as the lower bolt's diameter? If that is indeed the case, I can see why the upper hole would make it easier for the bolt to slip
You are correct. The upper OEM camber bolt has a honkin huge lobe. That means the hole in the clevis is honkin huge as well.

Quote:
but then it surprises me that the bolts would be designed that way by multiple companies with the intent of putting them in the upper hole.
Welcome to camber bolts. Almost all the data from the manufacturers is this bad. I have a feeling what happened is that the "default" recommendation for all aftermarket camber bolts is to be put in the upper hole. Then, someone in engineering measured the Subaru knuckle, realized that the only logical place to put the bolt was in the lower hole (because why would you replace a camber bolt with a camber bolt?) and spec'd the correct size bolt for the lower hole (as well as both holes in the rear). However, somewhere along the line, the left and right hand didn't talk to each other and no one realized that the size recommendation plus the location recommendation were at odds with each other.

Quote:
I was just reading the online installation instructions from Ingalls (the bolts I bought from you guys at TiC)
As I said up top, the reason I wrote this FAQ is that all the instructions are wrong.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 08-16-10, 07:00 AM   #46
BrandonDrums
Becoming A Contributor

Car: Red 2005 WRX Wagon
Fav Mod: Coming Soon
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

BrandonDrums is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a question then.

Would it be possible to put OEM camber bolts on the top and bottom holes instead of using the aftermarket ones?

Recently when I put on new springs, I put a bolt through the bottom hole just to hold the strut in place while I positioned it into the strut tower. I believe the bolt I grabbed was the camber bolt. I did install them properly in the end but I just grabbed a bolt next to me and stuffed it in the hole for the time being.

I could be wrong as my mind was obviously somewhere else. But if so I would be tempted to just use 4 OEM subaru camber bolts instead of using any aftermarket ones. Stronger and less likely to slip.

Any thoughts?
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 08-16-10, 07:50 AM   #47
BrandonDrums
Becoming A Contributor

Car: Red 2005 WRX Wagon
Fav Mod: Coming Soon
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

BrandonDrums is an unknown quantity at this point

Color me corrected, you can't fit the OEM camber bolts in the lower holes without grinding out the lower hold (not recommended unless you have a drill press)

How much additional camber w/ camber bolts in lower strut holes? - NASIOC

It would have been impossible for me to accidentally stuff the camber bolt down there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonDrums View Post
I have a question then.

Would it be possible to put OEM camber bolts on the top and bottom holes instead of using the aftermarket ones?

Recently when I put on new springs, I put a bolt through the bottom hole just to hold the strut in place while I positioned it into the strut tower. I believe the bolt I grabbed was the camber bolt. I did install them properly in the end but I just grabbed a bolt next to me and stuffed it in the hole for the time being.

I could be wrong as my mind was obviously somewhere else. But if so I would be tempted to just use 4 OEM subaru camber bolts instead of using any aftermarket ones. Stronger and less likely to slip.

Any thoughts?
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 08-16-10, 08:01 AM   #48
A-man
Advanced Mastery Level III
Feedback Score: 31 reviews

Fav Mod: Group N bushings
My Subaru Parts for sale

A-man is an unknown quantity at this point

No it's not possible to put OEM camber bolts in the lower holes.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 09-26-10, 07:20 PM   #49
WNGMAN5
Advanced Contributor Level 2

Fav Mod: Stage 2
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

WNGMAN5 is an unknown quantity at this point

what is the part number for the front top camber bolt for an 06 sti? I ordered this (Front camber bolt (05+): 901660036) and it is the wrong one. Any help?
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 09-26-10, 08:18 PM   #50
williaty

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

I just looked it up in the Subaru parts system. It insists that the 05-07 STI uses 901660036.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement