Questions & Answers -- OFFICIAL THREAD - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
Questions & Answers -- OFFICIAL THREAD
Questions & Answers -- OFFICIAL THREAD
Go Back   STI Forums > > > > Questions & Answers -- OFFICIAL THREAD

Old 06-06-06, 07:07 PM   #1
Ben
Retired Admin
Feedback Score: 13 reviews

Fav Mod: Weight Loss
My Subaru Parts for sale

Ben is an unknown quantity at this point
Lightbulb Questions & Answers -- OFFICIAL THREAD

This thread is designed for "newbies" to ask questions or find answers. To ask a question, just post a reply to this thread and ask the question. When someone answers your question(s) the question and answer will be copied to the first post to make finding answers easier.

Before you post a reply and ask a question, please review the very first post (the one you're reading now) and see if the answer to your question is already here!

------ QUESTIONS & ANSWERS ------

Q: What is a Cobb Accessport?

A: An AccessPORT (known as AP) is a device that costs roughly $600 and flashes new maps (rewrites software on your car's ECU (computer)) to improve perfomance. In VERY basic terms, the AP makes your ECU tell the car to create more boost, which in turn, creates more power.

Q: What is Stage 2? etc.

A: Stage 1 is JUST the AP by itself; no other mods necessary. This is good for roughly 15-17 whp.

Stage 2 is the AP combined with a Turboback exhaust. This is good for roughly 40 whp (or an additional 20-25 whp over Stage 1).

Q: What is a protune?

A: A protune is when a professional tunes your car. This can be done using various software/devices, but a "protune" is most commonly done using an EcuTek or the AccessPORT. In the case of the AP, the pro tuner will make a special map (the software file the ECU reads) that is designed specifically for your car. This is good for roughly 20 additional whp over the "off-the-shelf" stage 2 AP map (assuming all you have is a Turboback Exhaust (TBE)).

Q: What is WHP?

A: WHP -- WHP is wheel horsepower, or "actual" horsepower after all drivetrain loss. While the STI has 300 HP, this is engine or crank HP, not wheel HP. Depending on the dyno, a stock STI has anywhere from 200-240 whp (approximately). Generally when talking about mods you express the increase in horsepower in WHP, as anyone that tells you a mod makes X HP at the crank is usually estimating.

Q: What is a Turboback Exhaust (TBE)?

A: A Turboback exhaust is a downpipe(3) + a catback exhaust(4) (or simply and exhaust that goes from the turbo all the way back).

Q: What is a downpipe?

A: A downpipe is a pipe that starts at the exhaust end of the turbo and goes from the engine bay down to the bottom of the car, meeting up with the center-pipe.

Q: What is a catback exhaust (CBE)?

A: A catback exhaust is an exhaust consisting of a center-pipe (or mid-pipe), a catalytic converter (cat), and a muffler (or tail pipe).

Q: Is there a diagram of the complete exhaust system?

A:

In the diagram above, the first piece is the downpipe. Next is the catylitic converter, however, this piece is commonly combined with the downpipe and is actually 1 piece. The third piece is the center-pipe (or mid-pipe) and finally there is the muffler (or tailpipe or axle-back exhaust).

Q: What is a wastegate?

A: The wastegate is a device that helps control the amount of boost the turbo creates. When the wastegate opens, boost is released. Any modification to the wastegate can cause serious problems, but the most common are:

1) using a different spring which makes the wastegate harder to open. This will cause the wastegate to open later and result in the turbo holding more boost. This is generally NOT recommended. If you want more boost, get an AccessPORT and do it safely.

2) "porting" the wastegate which makes the wastegate hole bigger and makes it easier for boost to escape. This is also generally NOT recommended but is used to solve problems in the rare case that are car is producing too much boost and there is no other way to control it.

Q: If I have an SPT catback, and want to jump to Stage 2, all I need now is just a downpipe & accessport flash, right? (my confusion comes from stating that the cat is sometimes combined with the dp, but then stated that it's part of the catback too).

A: The short answer to your question is YES. All you need is a downpipe and an AccessPORT flash to go Stage 2. As to your confusion, there are actually two catalytic converters on the STI. One is part of the downpipe, and the other is part of the midpipe. When we say "catback" exhaust, we mean coming after the cat in the downpipe, and as evilsti7 said, it should really be called a "downpipe back" exhaust.

- 2008 Silver BMW 135i
- 2010 Team RD #027 Lotus 2-Eleven Race Car

Last edited by Nachos Libres; 06-09-07 at 04:32 PM.
Likes 4 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-06, 07:09 PM   #2
Ben
Retired Admin

My Subaru Parts for sale

The first question came from someone in a different thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoagie79
I'm a relatively new STi owner, had one for about 6 months but haven't started thinking about mods until now. And, I'm not ashamed to say, as I've been looking through some of these threads I have no idea what a lot of these modifications are. You guys use so many abbreviations and initials, that even that commonly-used-intitials thread doesn't completely clear things up. So....I'd like to propose a dictionary of mods presented kindergarten-style, like we're learning our ABC's for the first time, just that it's STi kindergarten. Please, don't provide definitions of things that just make them more confusing, just simple like: "a transmission transfers power from the engine to the wheels," as if we have absolutely no clue. And other newbies who are as confused as I am--I know you're out there--please don't be afraid to ask as well. It seems like the people on this forum are more than happy to help. So, I'll start off with a few ques.:

What is a Cobb Accessport? Stage 2?, etc., etc.
What's a Protune?
What are the downpipe and wastegate and how are these parts modded and how do these mods help with power/performance?

Thanks everyone!

- 2008 Silver BMW 135i
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 06-07-06, 10:45 AM   #3
unrequited
Master Contributor Level 2
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Fav Mod: Nintendo Decal
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

unrequited is on a distinguished road

...if I have an SPT catback, and want to jump to Stage 2, all I need now is just a downpipe & accessport flash, right? (my confusion comes from stating that the cat is sometimes combined with the dp, but then stated that it's part of the catback too).
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-06, 10:53 AM   #4
evilSTi7
The Hoff Fan Club, member #001
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Car: 05 WRB/Gold
Fav Mod: Hood Scoop Homer
My Subaru Parts for sale

evilSTi7 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by unrequited
...if I have an SPT catback, and want to jump to Stage 2, all I need now is just a downpipe & accessport flash, right? (my confusion comes from stating that the cat is sometimes combined with the dp, but then stated that it's part of the catback too).
yes. all you really need to run stage 2 is a downpipe, but running a turbo back exhaust (which is made up of a downpipe and a cat back exhaust) is fine too.

cat back is kind of misleading. almost every aftermarket sti downpipe ive seen has the cat placed pretty close to the turbo. so technically a cat back exhaust should be called a downpipe back exhaust, but they've been called cat back forever, so no one is going to change that.
David Hasselhoff Fan Club. Member #001 JOIN HERE!
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 06-07-06, 11:03 AM   #5
Einobaka
Master Contributor Level 1
Feedback Score: 23 reviews

Car: 2015 WRB STi
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Einobaka is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Yes, all you would need is a downpipe, but it's your choice weather you want a catted or non-catted one. The catback actually mates after the catalytic converter on a stock setup hence being called a "catback."

Edit: Evil beat me to the punch!
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 06-07-06, 11:10 AM   #6
unrequited
Master Contributor Level 2
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Fav Mod: Nintendo Decal
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

unrequited is on a distinguished road

Thanks you two, this should be a great thread for nubs like me.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 06-07-06, 12:15 PM   #7
Ben
Retired Admin

My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
The question (above) and answer (below) have been added to the first post.

A: The short answer to your question is YES. All you need is a downpipe and an AccessPORT flash to go Stage 2. As to your confusion, there are actually two catalytic converters on the STI. One is part of the downpipe, and the other is part of the midpipe. When we say "catback" exhaust, we mean coming after the cat in the downpipe, and as evilsti7 said, it should really be called a "downpipe back" exhaust.

- 2008 Silver BMW 135i
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 06-14-06, 04:47 PM   #8
bajaleo
Joined the Conversation
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Car: Subaru powered Vanag
Fav Mod: Sponge Bob floor mats
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

bajaleo is on a distinguished road
Question What's a sticky?

Hello,

Obviously I'm a newbie. I don't have an sti yet, but I'm doing the research for when I'm able to get one (please Lord, soon!!).

My question is, what exactly is a sticky and how do they work?

Thanks, Leo
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 06-15-06, 10:35 AM   #9
gt9729b
Becoming An Advanced Contributor
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

gt9729b is on a distinguished road

A sticky is just a thread that stays at the top of the forums. All "normal" or "non-stickied" threads will be sorted by date of most recent post. Sticky threads stay at the top regardless of most recent post date.

Moderators can make threads a sticky and remove their sticky-ness also. Typically these threads are 1) Of general interest to the population -or- 2) High traffic threads
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 06-23-06, 03:31 PM   #10
SoaReS
Advanced Mastery Level IV
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Car: 05|WRB|STi
Fav Mod: Precision Tuning Tune
My Subaru Parts for sale

SoaReS is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt9729b
A sticky is just a thread that stays at the top of the forums. All "normal" or "non-stickied" threads will be sorted by date of most recent post. Sticky threads stay at the top regardless of most recent post date.

Moderators can make threads a sticky and remove their sticky-ness also. Typically these threads are 1) Of general interest to the population -or- 2) High traffic threads
Nice answer!
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement