Looking at some mods.. need some expertise! - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
Looking at some mods.. need some expertise!
Go Back   STI Forums > > > > Looking at some mods.. need some expertise!

Old 06-22-19, 06:31 PM   #1
SamhillSTI
Joined the Conversation
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Fav Mod: Coming Soon
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

SamhillSTI is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Looking at some mods.. need some expertise!

Hello all, I recently got a used 16' STI. The only thing I know that has been done to it is an ETS extreme catback exhaust. I want to put a COBB SF cold air intake for it but I understand that a tune is required for that.. I also understand that getting an accessport has ways to improve performance without the hassle of that.. I'm curious to know if this is the right understanding and if I need a profession tune instead? Any and all suggestions are welcome. Thank you in advance!
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-19, 06:32 PM   #2
SamhillSTI
Joined the Conversation

Fav Mod: Coming Soon
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

SamhillSTI is an unknown quantity at this point

Also if someone could explain what all an accessport can do besides give extra readouts and tune capabilities would be great!
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 06-23-19, 04:27 PM   #3
[email protected]

Car: 2011 STI Sedan
Fav Mod: Arcflash LLC Ohlins Coilovers
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

joshua@arcflashllc is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Looking at some mods.. need some expertise!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamhillSTI View Post
Hello all, I recently got a used 16' STI. The only thing I know that has been done to it is an ETS extreme catback exhaust. I want to put a COBB SF cold air intake for it but I understand that a tune is required for that.. I also understand that getting an accessport has ways to improve performance without the hassle of that.. I'm curious to know if this is the right understanding and if I need a profession tune instead? Any and all suggestions are welcome. Thank you in advance!
The best bang for your buck is what's known as a stg 2. Which really is just a downpipe with a tune. The cat back you have will only help but isn't required.

The AccessPort gets you the display info like you mentioned as well as a scan tool, data logger and programming interface for your STI.

If you stay in the COBB stage ecosystem you can run off the shelf maps. If you want to run a COBB SF intake with the stg 2 (stg 2+) there are some fuel system concerns and that will require a custom tune. You could go to stg 3 and skip that drama but the hardware costs and install costs add up. Feel free to message me if you need anything or have questions.
SPL Suspension Components
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-19, 04:32 PM   #4
mheyman
Premium Member
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Fav Mod: Camber Camber Camber! Power! Wide ratio gearing! The rest is just support :)
My Subaru Parts for sale

mheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of light

AP: primarily what you wrote + LC & FFS.

Answers, almost all of them . . . are here

COBB Tuning – Subaru

! ! !

and Google still exists ! ! !
IMHO, to justify its' price, the S209 needs to perform at least as well as my moderately powered 05 built beater, and even that might not convince me to buy one cause my next STI isn't likely to be moderately powered.

I'm putting IAG back in here. Engine wise the car hase been trouble free for 56K. My STI is nearing the 60K minimum JJ led meto expect from a 2618 piston equipped block and it's still running strong.

Last edited by mheyman; 06-23-19 at 04:53 PM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement