IW STi Forum banner

STi House Key?

3K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  enoxard 
#1 ·
I have been really wanting to use the STi key for a house key, but the problem is it is preslotted for an ignition. Is there any way around this? The only way that it appears is if you cut and weld the house key onto the preexisting STi key.

#2 ·
As a former locksmith I will say no. House keys and automotive are very different. Also the locks themselves. Your best bet is to just search ebay for a blank with sti print on it that fits your locks. I haven't seen any myself but im sure there are some somewhere.

#6 ·
I'd guess some place that does welding would be your best bet, like a machine shop.

I really cant picture how you would do that. Typically house keys are brass and automotive steel. Im no welding expert but I don't think that can be done. Also if your car key is computer programmed you are destroying a very expensive key. You need from the shoulder of your house key to the tip for it to continue to work your house lock. So basically if you were to get it to work you would just be swapping the heads of the keys. I believe you are better off letting this idea go.
If you bothered reading more than 2 sentences in the thread, you would know that he is talking about using a blank, so not like he'd be destroying that much. As for the welding, pretty sure it's possible to braze 2 dissimilar metals together.

#5 ·
I really cant picture how you would do that. Typically house keys are brass and automotive steel. Im no welding expert but I don't think that can be done. Also if your car key is computer programmed you are destroying a very expensive key. You need from the shoulder of your house key to the tip for it to continue to work your house lock. So basically if you were to get it to work you would just be swapping the heads of the keys. I believe you are better off letting this idea go.

#8 ·
Get a Schlage lock with lighted keypad for your front door. No more keys to fumble with. Mine's great! The newest ones have wifi so you can open them from your phone or pc.

#11 ·
How are they powered?

#9 ·
Just unbolt the old lock and mount the new one! Piece of cake, Phillips screwdriver (4 screws total) and a slotted to pop of the inside trim.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.