2007 vs 2008 (Hatch) 2014 (Sedan or Hatch) - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
2007 vs 2008 (Hatch) 2014 (Sedan or Hatch)
2007 vs 2008 (Hatch) 2014 (Sedan or Hatch)
Go Back   STI Forums > > > > 2007 vs 2008 (Hatch) 2014 (Sedan or Hatch)

Old 01-08-14, 04:46 PM   #1
Johnnygforce
Joined the Conversation
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Car: Blue 07 WRX STi
Fav Mod: Coming Soon
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Johnnygforce is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 2007 vs 2008 (Hatch) 2014 (Sedan or Hatch)

I am trying to decide between 2007, 2008, 2014, or when released, 2015 WRX STi. I am far from rich, trust me on that one, but from the little I read, the 2007 is more rally-racing influenced than the subsequent models, especially the hatchback version and the 4-dr version they released recently, due to demand of the '07 model. However, I want to keep stock and I was curious about reliability. I know this car would not be as reliable as my former '91 Honda CRX Si, but would be more fun I believe. I miss that CRX! Anyway, since the '07 purists have said, the Sedan is more fun to drive than the '08 Hatchback, although, the '08 was supposed to handle better in dry conditions, due to wider tires (Fenders Flared), redesigned suspension, etc....people said, the '07 was more rally influenced than the luxurious '08 in comparison. Therefore three questions I have for anyone who can help:

1) I know all these models are fun to drive, but how does the '07 compare, as far as, drive and feel when cornering, snow driving (I see these cars in this snow storm, with Snow Tires, and I kick myself for not having one of those cars i.e. STi) versus the newer STi's? I understand everyone has an opinion on this, but could use a perspective or two on this.

2) Potential reliability issues I could face now that the car is 7 years old - '07 STi

3) Where can I find a blue 2007 STi that has low mileage - stock! I have seen firsthand what modified cars feel like after age.

Before I consider an '07, what would I be missing with the newer model STi's? I also believe, between 2011 and 2014, Subaru brought back the 4-dr sedan based on folks missing the '07.

Lastly, I was wondering if Subaru was going back to Rallying with the new model coming out and all. I believe, they discontinued after a disappointing '08 or '09 season? Please correct me if I am wrong.

Thank you for your help.

Last edited by Johnnygforce; 01-08-14 at 09:14 PM. Reason: Model change CRX Si
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-14, 08:43 PM   #2
nevrec
Joined the Conversation

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

nevrec is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 2007 vs 2008 (Hatch) 2014 (Sedan)

I'm interested in knowing the differences between the various models as well, bumping this for visibility!
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 01-08-14, 09:15 PM   #3
Johnnygforce
Joined the Conversation

Car: Blue 07 WRX STi
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Johnnygforce is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 2007 vs 2008 (Hatch) 2014 (Sedan or Hatch)

Thanks for help....
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-14, 06:51 AM   #4
Sabrewings
Advanced Mastery Level V
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Fav Mod: 1 Meter Fuel Line
My Subaru Parts for sale

Sabrewings is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnygforce View Post
1) I know all these models are fun to drive, but how does the '07 compare, as far as, drive and feel when cornering, snow driving (I see these cars in this snow storm, with Snow Tires, and I kick myself for not having one of those cars i.e. STi) versus the newer STi's? I understand everyone has an opinion on this, but could use a perspective or two on this.
You won't notice much difference between them even back to back. Out of the box, the 08+ have more mechanical grip and do better in things like slalom, but have just a touch more understeer if you don't trail brake it well enough.

In regards to snow, I would tip the hat towards the 08+ versions since they have two additional Auto DCCD modes to wring out your particular type of fun.

Quote:
2) Potential reliability issues I could face now that the car is 7 years old - '07 STi
Ringland issues, mileage issues, potential abuse issues, etc. Dreaded rear strut clunk, PITA to change rear wheel bearings also come to mind. I do my own wrenching, and I personally find the 08+ chassis easier to work on, if that matters to you.

Quote:
3) Where can I find a blue 2007 STi that has low mileage - stock! I have seen firsthand what modified cars feel like after age.
Good luck. More and more rare with every passing day.

Quote:
Before I consider an '07, what would I be missing with the newer model STi's? I also believe, between 2011 and 2014, Subaru brought back the 4-dr sedan based on folks missing the '07.
A nicer interior, SI Drive, and a couple additional DCCD modes. If you're not into tuning, then the DAVCS and being able to map various tunes to the SI Drive won't be of much use to you.

Quote:
Lastly, I was wondering if Subaru was going back to Rallying with the new model coming out and all. I believe, they discontinued after a disappointing '08 or '09 season? Please correct me if I am wrong.
The down turn of the economy was the main reason. They had just redesigned the STI as a hatch at Petter Soldberg's recommendation, but FHI just didn't have it in them to keep dumping tons of money into WRC. Though, they have continued in Rally America the entire time with the hatch design proving widely successful.

http://image.modified.com/f/news/mod...riving_sti.jpg

They will not be returning to WRC, mostly due to regulation reasons. They have shortened the minimum vehicle length, so it's all two-door hatchbacks competing, and Subaru doesn't have one. They could enter the STI, but since it is now longer than the other competing cars it would be at a disadvantage. Also, they have limited engine displacement to 1.6L, which Subaru doesn't have a ready to go variant for. Plus, there is now a maximum of two differentials allowed (no more center diffs), so Subaru's excellent DCCD system is worthless and cannot be used, another disadvantage. The remaining diffs have to be entirely mechanicals, so nowhere for them to adapt and improve the way they did with the DCCD.
Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Old 01-09-14, 02:07 PM   #5
oharao2
Master Contributor Level 2
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Car: OBP '08 WRX STi
Fav Mod: The SS and H&R coilovers but WL sways are great too
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

oharao2 is on a distinguished road

That's about it. only thing I'd add is the '14 will have a better suspension than the 08. They firmed up the entire suspension in 2011..
Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Old 01-09-14, 02:26 PM   #6
sc00ter
Becoming An Advanced Contributor

Fav Mod: 24mm Sways & KB shifter bushings
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

sc00ter is an unknown quantity at this point

As far as a direct comparison for snow driving goes, I just came from a 2007 WRX and I'll say that snow driving felt much easier and more solid in the WRX than my '11 STI. The '07 was more raw and in my opinion was more of a car for those who want to feel the road. The STI is still great in the snow but I don't feel as though I have as much control as I did in the WRX. Both cars driven on the same roads, with the same snow conditions and even the same tires (Blizzaks).

Is the difference night and day? No, but I immediately noticed it. However, take this all with a grain of salt. I haven't messed with traction control in the STI and I've still got DCCD set to auto since I still have some reading to do on it. I'm sure with some adjustments the STI will feel more solid.

Last edited by sc00ter; 01-09-14 at 02:29 PM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 01-09-14, 03:33 PM   #7
cenix
Becoming A Master Contributor
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Car: 11 SWP STI
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

cenix is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabrewings View Post
They will not be returning to WRC, mostly due to regulation reasons. They have shortened the minimum vehicle length, so it's all two-door hatchbacks competing, and Subaru doesn't have one. They could enter the STI, but since it is now longer than the other competing cars it would be at a disadvantage. Also, they have limited engine displacement to 1.6L, which Subaru doesn't have a ready to go variant for. Plus, there is now a maximum of two differentials allowed (no more center diffs), so Subaru's excellent DCCD system is worthless and cannot be used, another disadvantage. The remaining diffs have to be entirely mechanicals, so nowhere for them to adapt and improve the way they did with the DCCD.
that's nice information sabrewings. i didn't know that. i thought it was all about funding issues for subaru. why is the wrc limiting and making things "smaller"?
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 01-09-14, 04:49 PM   #8
blee2666
Advanced Contributor Level 2

Car: DK Grey 13 STI
Fav Mod: Downpipe w/93 stage 2 map Protune, EBCS,Full Cobb Intake. SPT Catback, CartBoy ST Shifter
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

blee2666 is an unknown quantity at this point

My 07 STi 4 door had 98000 on it when I traded it in for my 13 5 door. The 07 only had a airbox with everything else stock. Car was great. Only the left rear wheel bearing went. Other than brakes and tires.
Got 19000 for it from the dealer I got my 13 from. It was on the lot for 5 days and sold for 23000. The 07 handled great and being a ski patroller in PA, I took it through a lot of crappy dirt/salty roads. Never got stuck and the thing would go around corners like there was no tomorrow. When you see people push themselves back into the passenger seat, I would just smile.
There was NOTHING wrong with the 07 when I traded it in. It was the fact that I was getting 19K for it plus 3% below invoice (ski patroller discount through subaru) for the 13 that made up my mind. So for me it was bullet proof. Then again I did not do many 5-6 grand launches which is a break me please thing. I used to crank wrenches too so no fun seeing spun bearings.

My 13 is faster since it is at stage 2 but not sure if it can handle as good as my 07.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 01-09-14, 07:49 PM   #9
angelwrx
Advanced Contributor Level 2

Car: 14CLA45AMG 09 STI wh
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

angelwrx is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 2007 vs 2008 (Hatch) 2014 (Sedan or Hatch)

I have a 07 sti and 09 sti
I find my 07 sti much better in snow driving and off road driving then my 09 .
Both vehicles were purchased new.
The 07 is so much more raw .
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 01-10-14, 04:15 AM   #10
RallyDrivR13
Advanced Contributor Level 3

Car: 2015 STI Launch
Fav Mod: Crawford AOS
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

RallyDrivR13 is an unknown quantity at this point

go 14 hatch or possibly 15 sti, as far as performance they can all be modded to do what you want of them, just need time and money!
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement