STIs come with stock related problems like EVOs? - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
STIs come with stock related problems like EVOs?
STIs come with stock related problems like EVOs?
Go Back   STI Forums > > > > STIs come with stock related problems like EVOs?

Old 06-26-09, 09:43 AM   #1
STI-in-Hawaii
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

STI-in-Hawaii is an unknown quantity at this point
Default STIs come with stock related problems like EVOs?

Hi guys,

Definately a noob when it comes to WRXs and STIs, so please forgive my ignorance.

I was in the market to buy an EVO. I researched all about them, and I soon realized the EVOs come with many problems. I've read that they are grinding in gears from the syncros, the clutches go bad right away, rotors need to be changed around 30k miles, and the calipers fade easily. The transfer cases also need to be replaced and alot of problems.

I've learned that alot of these problems occur when not even being modded. The grinding from the syncros, clutch, and rotors/calipers going bad are just from normal everyday driving.

This was definately a turning point when I was deciding to purchase an EVO. I mean, I DO plan on modding my car after I purchase it; However, I don't want to be spending "mod" money on stuff that needs to be fixed right off the bat. Stuff that I believe shouldn't be going bad from the factory!

Anyways, I was just curious if the STIs had similar problems, stock. I understand with a high torque car, that the clutch will eventually start to slip. Also, I understand if you are launching your car or don't know how to drive, the clutch will go bad. So the clutch wasn't THAT big of a deal. However, the things I listed about the EVO just seem to be problems that shouldn't be problems on a stock car.

Sorry for the long post. I just am really curious to know more about the STI's quality from the factory. If I purchased a stock STI, would I be needed to change things from A-Z, before I even mod it?

Thanks
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-09, 09:59 AM   #2
boondocksaint
Murderer & Drug Dealer
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Car: something or other
Fav Mod: mullet
My Subaru Parts for sale

boondocksaint has much to be proud ofboondocksaint has much to be proud ofboondocksaint has much to be proud ofboondocksaint has much to be proud ofboondocksaint has much to be proud ofboondocksaint has much to be proud ofboondocksaint has much to be proud ofboondocksaint has much to be proud of
Default Re: STIs come with stock related problems like EVOs?

STis are generally considered more reliable. The transmissions are nearly bulletproof and as long as you have the car correctly tuned, mods are generally fine. Except for BOVs.

The STI's main quirk is rear strut clunk, and the myriad noises, creaks, and grinds that scare the uninitiated but are almost always meaningless.

Old 06-26-09, 10:01 AM   #3
upncummr
Advanced Mastery Level II
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Car: '05 CGM
Fav Mod: HPDEs
My Subaru Parts for sale

upncummr is on a distinguished road

Check the FAQ section of the Forums - https://www.iwsti.com/forums/faq-newbie-forum/

Also, if you're thinking about a new STi, there are GR (2008/2009) specific-forums - https://www.iwsti.com/forums/gr-serie...scussion-2008/

You can do some reading and see what others have to say.

Hint - if you buy an STi (or any other car) don't start modifying it until you know the car thoroughly and until you have the capability as a driver to exceed the capabilities of the car. In other words, there's no good reason to have 350 HP when you can't fully make use of 300 HP.

Gary

Last edited by upncummr; 06-26-09 at 10:04 AM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-09, 10:03 AM   #4
jph
IWSTI Guru
Feedback Score: 13 reviews

Car: the wagon
My Subaru Parts for sale

jph is an unknown quantity at this point

you'll want a good tune right off the bat...

but keep stock for a little while, just in case something pops up. (hey, you never know!)

J.

Old 06-26-09, 10:04 AM   #5
chargedvette02
Account Inactive
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Fav Mod: I'm just a regular everyday normal guy.
My Subaru Parts for sale

chargedvette02 is an unknown quantity at this point

I was in the same position as you almost 2 years ago. I was set on an EVO IX MR until I talked to previous owners and read up on them. I pretty much came to the same conclusion as you did and decided not to buy an EVO because they didn't seem like they were built very well.

05/06 STI's are pretty much bullet proof, the new ones not so much. I'm at 75k miles on my 05 with over 40k of that at stage 2 with many track miles logged. I'm on my stock clutch, no transmission issues and the only thing I had to have replaced was the struts because they were clunking. I don't baby this car at all, it has seen many 5k+ RPM launches and so far has held it's own.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 06-26-09, 10:35 AM   #6
STI-in-Hawaii
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

STI-in-Hawaii is an unknown quantity at this point

Wow. Thanks guys for the quick responses.

I figuired the STIs were built better than the EVOs. I mean, my gosh, I've never heard of any car wit the problems that the EVO has or will have. However, all I've owned are toyotas, and I've never had a "powerful" car before.

Anyways, thanks for the tips about the the links where to read more up. And definately thanks about the info on the 05/06s being like tanks. That'll be definately good to keep in mind if I ever see a low mileage one here locally.

Not TOO excited about knowing there are creaks and noises that come from the car. I am already borderline psychotic from the rattles coming from my other car.

Anyways, I'll continue looking into the STI!

If I continue to pursue a buildable fast car, I believe the STI will be the one.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 06-26-09, 10:40 AM   #7
boondocksaint
Murderer & Drug Dealer
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Car: something or other
Fav Mod: mullet
My Subaru Parts for sale

boondocksaint has much to be proud ofboondocksaint has much to be proud ofboondocksaint has much to be proud ofboondocksaint has much to be proud ofboondocksaint has much to be proud ofboondocksaint has much to be proud ofboondocksaint has much to be proud ofboondocksaint has much to be proud of

Use the rattle silencer: right foot.

Old 06-26-09, 10:45 AM   #8
upncummr

My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by STI-in-Hawaii View Post
If I continue to pursue a buildable fast car, I believe the STI will be the one.
Remember....it's more fun to drive an under-powered car hard than it is to drive an over-powered car gently!

Concentrate on brakes, suspension and your own driving skills for maximum value and satisfaction.

Gary

Last edited by upncummr; 06-26-09 at 10:49 AM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 06-26-09, 11:03 AM   #9
vermont
Advanced Mastery Level I
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Car: Red 09 WRX STI
Fav Mod: 101 Infraction Points! Wh00t! Wh00t!!
My Subaru Parts for sale

vermont is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by upncummr View Post
Remember....it's more fun to drive an under-powered car hard than it is to drive an over-powered car gently!
Gary

WOW! if i knew how to do sigs on this website i would so sig that comment man.... nothing could be more true.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 06-26-09, 11:11 AM   #10
upncummr

My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by vermont View Post
WOW! if i knew how to do sigs on this website i would so sig that comment man.... nothing could be more true.
I can't take credit for the original quote. But I can certainly confirm it from my own experience of following Corvettes and Vipers around the track. They run away from you on the straights only to be caught from behind in the braking zones. Then they hold up traffic through the corners and then put the hammer down when you come to the next straight.

None of those guys ever look like they're having that much fun tiptoeing through the corners. (Disclaimer - I have followed several very skilled Corvette and Viper drivers around the track and they are blazingly fast when they know what they're doing. It's the "point and shoot" drivers that don't seem to be having much fun.)

No offense intended against those with over-powered cars and the skill to use them.

Gary

Last edited by upncummr; 06-26-09 at 11:21 AM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement