Active Participant
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Fav Mod: Coming Soon
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Firestorm4056 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default New to STI's, a few questions

Original content deleted.

Last edited by Firestorm4056; 03-27-14 at 08:52 AM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-09, 02:45 PM   #2
RSXiMUS
Feedback Score: 6 reviews

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

RSXiMUS is on a distinguished road
Default Re: New to STI's, a few questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firestorm4056 View Post
Hey guys!! First of all I suppose I should introduce myself (I didn't see another area to do so, so forgive me if this is in the wrong place). Anyway, my name's Charlie, and for the last few weeks I've been looking at a few various STI's to purchase around Denver, mainly in the '04-'05 range. My previous car was a lightly modded '00 Eclipse GT and I've had a decent amount of experience with 350Z's, so the majority of my real-world car knowledge comes from NA V6's.... meaning that, aside from the things written on the "Spec-sheet", I'm not too familiar with the world of STIs.

Anyway, just had a few questions for all of you:

-As I mentioned, the STI's I've been looking at are mainly '04s and '05s with close to 50k miles on them. Anything in particular I should be watching out for while I'm looking around?

-As a lot of STI owners, I'm pretty into the world of modding. The Eclipse really made things difficult (not to mention expensive) due to the FWD drivetrain and the fact that it was never designed to go FI, which is why I'm really leaning towards an STI. So, my question is, after purchasing it, what modifications would you guys recommend for around $4000? As far as my preference, I'd be looking at tint and a lower set of springs / struts first, then moving onto the engine.... but aside from a decent turbo-back exhaust and an intake, what are my best options for horsepower gain? I've been told to go with a new downpipe and ECU flash, but with this budget could I get a little more out of the engine than that? Maybe larger turbos?

As you can see I'm not too familiar with the proper modification options on factory-turbo cars, so bear with me.... but thanks in advance!!
Stick with an 05, the 05's had a bunch of upgrades over the 04's, including a wider track, more durable and larger wheel hubs, completely different interior, wider wheels, better bolt pattern 5x114.3, steering, ect. ect.

The 05's were also considered by most the best looking STI and the most reliable with the fewest reported issues.

As far as issues, the only issues with the 05's were weak syncros in 4th and 5th, but they should be covered under warranty and replaced with updated parts. Other than that, bulletproof. My 05 had over 40k miles, never been to the dealership once for repair. One of the most reliable cars I've owned.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 06-21-09, 02:50 PM   #3
Cr8zyJAP07
Gold Member
Feedback Score: 10 reviews

Fav Mod: HAMSTER
My Subaru Parts for sale

Cr8zyJAP07 is an unknown quantity at this point

first of all welcome! and if your coming from a eclipse to a sti you should be happy with the power for a while. i would get used to the car first, alot of people mod their stis when they dont even know how to handle the stock power. but for $4000 you can do a good amount of work. stg2 is a very popular mod everyone starts out with for power. Stg2 is a down pipe and a tune. you can get a good amount of suspension parts with the leftover money swaybars+endlinks, springs(RCE yellows or black is popular). it all depends what you want out of the car. but good luck finding a nice 04-05. post pics when you get it!

EDIT: for got to mention what to look for when purchasing a sti. compression check would be a good idea on most high mileage sti's, strut clunk, bov etc.

Last edited by Cr8zyJAP07; 06-21-09 at 02:55 PM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-09, 03:11 PM   #4
Firestorm4056
Active Participant

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Last edited by Firestorm4056; 03-27-14 at 08:53 AM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 06-21-09, 05:46 PM   #5
pinoygamer26

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

pinoygamer26 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

Also, if any of you are interested, here's the one I'm looking at the most:
2005 Subaru WRX STI Black Low Mile (((Only 47K))) 6 Speed

Hopefully I'll be getting in contact with the guy sometime next weekend
Damn, that's pretty cheap. Most of the things he mentioned comes with the car from factory. From the pictures I can see that he has an exhaust(maybe dp too?). I'd call and see if it has been in any crashes, ask for vin and check carfax(send me pm. I can check for you), etc.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 06-21-09, 06:45 PM   #6
icudruln
Advanced Mastery Level II
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Fav Mod: Ethanol
My Subaru Parts for sale

icudruln is an unknown quantity at this point

Welcome from a Denver STi owner! What part of town are you in?

Check out Welcom to ADI AUTOSPORT LLC. It's where I got my car (2004 STi, bone stock, 34,000 miles for 20 grand). If you check out the place and talk to Tom, tell him Larry sent you. He also has WRX's, Evo's, etc.

Feel free to give me a PM if you need any help looking for a car or suggestions or want a Subie owner to maybe help you with looking at a car. And if you get one, I'll have to invite you to a few mountain cruises and track days up at High Plains Raceway out near Byers.

Last edited by icudruln; 06-21-09 at 06:49 PM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 06-21-09, 07:08 PM   #7
Cr8zyJAP07
Gold Member
Feedback Score: 10 reviews

Fav Mod: HAMSTER
My Subaru Parts for sale

Cr8zyJAP07 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

while the mountains are a LOT of fun to carve up, they tend to have dirt and gravel on them so you can't safely push a car like an STI to its limits without things getting dangerous.
i do it every day but yea its better to play it safe at the track. stg2 gives a good gain over stock power with out spending serious money, anything over stg2 will cost a good amount. and that car on craigslist looks pretty good but you'll never know untill you take a look at it in person.

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 06-21-09, 09:13 PM   #8
Firestorm4056
Active Participant

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Last edited by Firestorm4056; 03-27-14 at 08:54 AM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 06-22-09, 02:03 AM   #9
icudruln
Advanced Mastery Level II
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Fav Mod: Ethanol
My Subaru Parts for sale

icudruln is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Thanks!! During the school year I'll actually be up at CU Engineering, but on breaks I'm down in the Parker / Highlands Ranch area (hence another reason to get an STI, it'll be a great car for getting back home should I feel the need.... with plenty of room for all the laundry if I get to stingy to do it up there ). And thanks for the suggestion!! The STI's in their website inventory seem to be a little over-budget for me (I'm really trying to stay under $18k if possible), but I'll definitely drop by to see if they can make a deal. And thanks for the offer!! The 3G Eclipse community is essentially non-existent up here, so it'd be a lot of fun to finally get involved with a legitimate car crowd. Plus, never been to HPR, but I've been dying to ever since they opened!!
If you see a Rally Blue 04 in the Highlands Ranch area near Highlands Ranch High School, its probably me

Best of luck with the search, another place you might wanna check out is the AWDPirates Classifieds.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 06-22-09, 04:34 AM   #10
beachscooby
Advanced Mastery Level I

Car: 05 subaru STi
Fav Mod: AP stg2
My Subaru Parts for sale

beachscooby is on a distinguished road

Welcome to the forum and good luck with your search.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement