Advanced Contributor Level 1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Car: 07 STi
Fav Mod: ipod mount
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

variable is on a distinguished road
Default 0-60 Times on 91 octane vs 93

For starters, f*ck California... the place where you still can't buy a diesel vehicle...

So I've been looking through peoples times, but they've all been listed in 93 or better octane. There's A place nearby that sells 100 octane gas at some amount that I really don't want to think about, and its too far to be worth it, considering most of the time I would be running 91 and I'd be remapping the ECU all the time etc. etc., not a useful solution.

anyway

I'm curious what peoples times/power have been on 91 octane fuel, with or without cobb.

running AP Stage 1 with SPT intake.
Today I did a run and got the following:

0-60 5.52

60' 2.10

1/4 mi 14.34 (different run)

I used Dynolicious on the iphone to get my times. On that note, from what I've been reading, people have been getting more acurate times out of it than the g-tech. and it cost $13... course you have to have an iphone first...
YouTube - iPhone Dynolicious Software Better than G-Tech? -Garage419 sorry its not a great video, but they do a side by side comparison with their track slips near the end.

So, back to the original question, what kind of performance have people been getting off 91? I'm getting cobbs cat back exhaust and a new down pipe installed this weekend so I can finally go stage 2 with my AP.
Nixon: "Good man.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-08, 09:56 PM   #2
NDLBox
Advanced Contributor Level 4
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Car: 08 DGM STI
Fav Mod: 755
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

NDLBox is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 0-60 Times on 91 octane vs 93

Cool, I HATE the iPhone (disclosure: I run my company's Blackberry Enterprise Servers so I'm bias) but that might be reason for me to get a Touch!

I had the original GTech Pro, bought it from an ad on Speedvision (remember Speedvision? Yeah, it was awesome, but I digress) and it was a lot of fun even though it was just a little hunk of black plastic with an ugly red LED readout that was 1983 retro - but it did grow kind of old after a while. I eBayed it when I sold the 4Runner I was tuning. The variations between track time and trap speed were similar to what 419 found, but I thought that wasn't that bad considering... I guess the iPhone just has kick ass accellerometers in it.

But for $13 if you already have an iPhone you can't go wrong!
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 08-09-08, 10:07 PM   #3
tyler_sti
Advanced Mastery Level V
Feedback Score: 19 reviews

Fav Mod: Not knowing how to "spell" hah
My Subaru Parts for sale

tyler_sti is on a distinguished road

My friend has it as well. I say its bogus, to be VERY accurate. If those are real times(bluntly put) that's a pretty bad time. You should be seing at least a 1.9 '60 and high 13's on 91, no matter what to even consider comparing gas's. IMO

Who cares about mod lists anymore? Hahah
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-08, 10:15 PM   #4
pharo
Advanced Mastery Level IV
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Fav Mod: Q-Rack/DTC-70s
My Subaru Parts for sale

pharo is on a distinguished road

I agree with tyler- 0-60 is all about your launch. If you notice, compare the 5-60 of the sti to any car that can run a ~4.6-5.0. You will see how much slower the car is, and that is because the launch is critical. Judging by your 2.1 60ft, you can easily shave a lot of your 0-60.

But, in all honesty, I doubt the iphone is going to be very accurate. It totally depends on your road (how flat it is, condition of the road), whether you roll before your start, etc. But for $13 and some enjoyment, it looks great.

91 octane will slightly limit you on a stock car, but when you get start modding that is where the 93 can really outshine the 91 pistane california loves to overcharge us for.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 08-10-08, 01:13 AM   #5
variable
Advanced Contributor Level 1

Car: 07 STi
Fav Mod: ipod mount
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

variable is on a distinguished road

Well, I never said it was to be the metric by which everything should be measured...

As for my times being bad, I don't do a lot of racing, so its very possible that I'm just a noob when it comes to getting good launches. I don't really have anywhere to practice, and its generally frowned upon to be doing 100mph in a residential zone, so I'm restricted to where I can 'try things out.'

I had an RS for about 5 years (loved that car) and I could get a 0-60 time of about 6 seconds, thats with me watching a timer... not the most accurate but I don't doubt for a second that my STi is faster than that car by leaps and bounds.

anyway...

I'm still curious about peoples times on 91 though as a comparison to 93. It'd be nice to get a chart going or something, listing the mods and their gains on both fuels... if only we had some sort of facility...
Nixon: "Good man.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 08-10-08, 02:01 AM   #6
VROOM293
Account Inactive
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

My Subaru Parts for sale

VROOM293 is an unknown quantity at this point

I was told [i dont really believe anything i hear,just sharing]by a driver of 76 fuel truck that the 91 here in ca. is the same as the 93 in the rest of the world.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 08-10-08, 10:26 AM   #7
toofast4u2
Master Contributor Level 2

Fav Mod: Driving
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

toofast4u2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Re: 0-60 Times on 91 octane vs 93

Quote:
Originally Posted by variable View Post
For starters, f*ck California... the place where you still can't buy a diesel vehicle...

So I've been looking through peoples times, but they've all been listed in 93 or better octane. There's A place nearby that sells 100 octane gas at some amount that I really don't want to think about, and its too far to be worth it, considering most of the time I would be running 91 and I'd be remapping the ECU all the time etc. etc., not a useful solution.

anyway

I'm curious what peoples times/power have been on 91 octane fuel, with or without cobb.

running AP Stage 1 with SPT intake.
Today I did a run and got the following:

0-60 5.52

60' 2.10

1/4 mi 14.34 (different run)

I used Dynolicious on the iphone to get my times. On that note, from what I've been reading, people have been getting more acurate times out of it than the g-tech. and it cost $13... course you have to have an iphone first...
YouTube - iPhone Dynolicious Software Better than G-Tech? -Garage419 sorry its not a great video, but they do a side by side comparison with their track slips near the end.

So, back to the original question, what kind of performance have people been getting off 91? I'm getting cobbs cat back exhaust and a new down pipe installed this weekend so I can finally go stage 2 with my AP.

I thought u had 2 have a Cobb Turbo back exhaust to go to stage 2 with the AP?? Can u use a Cobb Cat Back Exhaust as well and it will work just as a Cobb Turbo Back Exhaust?
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement