Other Tuning: Installing Cobb Flex Fuel Before Tune - Page 2 - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
Installing Cobb Flex Fuel Before Tune
Installing Cobb Flex Fuel Before Tune
Go Back   STI Forums > > > Other Tuning: Installing Cobb Flex Fuel Before Tune

Old 10-07-19, 06:39 AM   #11
yamahaSHO
BROtuner
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Car: 2005 WRB
Fav Mod: Equal Length Header
My Subaru Parts for sale

yamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant future
Default Re: Installing Cobb Flex Fuel Before Tune

This is why I said to talk to your tuner. Your tuner can explain this and/or send you a map to remove these codes, and likely give you a base FlexFuel map. Every big company has customer support that doesn't actually understand their product. I walked over an AEM representative at Gridlife last year when I was frustrated with their Infinity ECU.

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-19, 07:00 AM   #12
Ebnash
Gold Member
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Fav Mod: Drivetrain Bushings and Mounts
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Ebnash is on a distinguished road

Yes, I talked with my tuner and they suggested to leave everything unplugged. I should have trusted them, but silly me thought the creator of the product could clarify.

This is why I called Cobb. I just will never understand why people are afraid to say that they don’t know the answer, but they will go find out from someone who does know.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 10-07-19, 08:12 AM   #13
STINick19
Advanced Contributor Level 1

Fav Mod: Coming Soon
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

STINick19 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebnash View Post
So, I installed the sensors and fuel lines and had not yet installed harnesses. I called Cobb last week and asked them if there was any harm in just plugging everything in since it would be activated until my tune. The person I spoke to initially said I could plug into my power and signal taps on O2 and TGV's, but not to plug into the sensors themselves. Then he came back and said, you'll be fine to just plug in everything.

So, this morning before I drove into work, I decided to go ahead and install the harness for the Fuel Pressure Sensor. Started the car and had immediate Right TGV Stuck Open code. Now, if the TGV is open by default, I really don't care. But since I really have no idea what is going on, I unplugged the harness and drove in.

Called Cobb and asked if the code was normal with hardware installed, but not activated in software. The guy was fucking clueless and said, I guess you should just unplug everything???

Edit: Sorry, missed your last post before posting. It's quite unfortunate that Cobb's tech support doesn't know their own products. I've gotten that impression from reading some of the answers to their product questions.

Why are these guys answering the phone to field technical questions if they have no clue. You would think the developer of this hardware would be able to advise you.

The only reason I care, is that I have to drive 100+ miles to get my tune and I don't want to be trying to plug in to the O2 sensor in the parking lot. I suppose I'll just have to ask them to plug things in and pay the extra fee.

Just annoying when you can't trust the "experts" advice...
Did you try leaving the O2 sensor connected, but leaving the TGV in-line connections unplugged? It sounds like the fuel pressure sensor TGV connection is unhappy on the right/passenger side. You could try leaving the flex fuel connected to the left/driver side TGV connection or just unplug it as well to be safe.

The other option is to see if your tuner can send you a base map to drive on. Your mods are fairly common so the tuner should have a map that can at least get you there with everything already connected.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-19, 05:01 AM   #14
Ebnash
Gold Member

Fav Mod: Drivetrain Bushings and Mounts
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Ebnash is on a distinguished road

STINick19,
That is basically what I ended up doing. I plugged in at the Rear O2, since it only taps that for power to the Ethanol Sensor. I left both Left and Right TGV harnesses unplugged, leaving factory signals intact. This way, I only need to pop the hood and plug the 2 TGV harnesses in, which is quick and easy from the top. I'll just do that when I arrive.

Now I just hope that the new tuner provides better results than previous outfit. The previous tune feels great if I just reset ECU every time I get in the car...Plus, I am looking forward to the benefits of E85 usage. I have stations near me and along my daily commute.

Last edited by Ebnash; 10-08-19 at 08:00 AM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement