IW STi Forum banner

Tuning Software and Mobile App?

Other Tuning: 
7K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  enoxard 
#1 ·
Cobb has a monopoly thats ripe for disruption. I have a passion for cars and software. The result is that I am embarking on a journey to develop new tuning software with a mobile component.

to get started, I'd like to poll this audience with a few questions.

• What software or apps do you currently use to tune and monitor your car?
  • What are the biggest shortfalls or gaps in that software?
  • Which devices do you prefer: Mobile, Laptop, Tablet
  • Which OS do you prefer: MacOS, Windows, Linux, iOs, Android
  • What are the core features required for any tuning software.
  • Would you pay for tuning software or apps. If so, how much?
  • Are you interested in AI tuning? Would a database of logs be valuable for for tuning recommendations / learning?

#2 · (Edited)
Post spot saved for a full response, but interested in being involved

• What software or apps do you currently use to tune and monitor your car?
Cobb AP
• What are the biggest shortfalls or gaps in that software?
None that aren’t intentional,
• Which devices do you prefer: Mobile, Laptop, Tablet
Me? Not mobile cause I’d like gauges – but mobile would work as an AP competitor.
• Which OS do you prefer: MacOS, Windows, Linux, iOs, Android
I know/use Widow and IOs, think Linux and Android might be better for this app.
• What are the core features required for any tuning software.
Same as AP – except a with universal gauge interface and optional large display. No locked tunes – unless you want to sell it to tunrs/dealers – then you need a marketing plan.
• Would you pay for tuning software or apps. If so, how much?
Yes - a lot? Over a $100.
• Are you interested in AI tuning? Would a database of logs be valuable for for tuning recommendations / learning?
Yes, everything – stock to lg turbo MAP / hybrid . . .

Reactions: enoxard
#6 ·
lmk how you want to help.
Don't know exactly, but i'm an EE and can do HW., some programming and have a basic understanding of tuning . . .

I Agree w everything STINick wrote . . .

#4 · (Edited)
I'm not a tuner, just someone that works in IT/software development.

I think most tune on a laptop for the keyboard, mouse, and screen real-estate. My guess is that people will prefer Windows, Android and then MacOS. I'm assuming that most tuners currently use Windows, but Android would allow for the use of an affordable chromebook. Apple laptops are too expensive IMO, especially for budget-minded tuners that are looking for a DIY option that's cheaper than Cobb.

Having the ability to monitor and data log via a cell phone or tablet would be great. There'll probably be a large split here between Android and iOS for both phones & tablets. This may be difficult, but I could foresee a large appeal if you're able to develop a mobile app for Android Auto and Apple CarPlay allowing users to take advantage of the screen on their modern head unit.

The AI tuning and recommendations would be great and I imagine rather challenging. I think you may struggle to receive help from tuners in this aspect since it'll potentially decrease the need for their services. I think this is a great end goal though as it's the direction that IT is moving. I often wonder how long it'll be before a computer replaces most of my job duties :)

Good luck on your endeavor!

#5 ·
I'll take a look at the chromebook development options.. I have one and its essentially just a chrome browser..

mobile will need to support both android and iOs eventually. I have lots of apple devices, so i will likely start there unless i score an android device for cheap.

i also agree that the primary tuning environment will be a laptop for the reasons you stated.

thanks for the feedback. keep it coming.

#8 ·
#9 · (Edited)
Just my take on this from previous thoughts,

I would separate the layers this way:

PWA or other cross-platform application for inputting tune parameter adjustments, loading tunes, viewing logs, sharing, etc. Enable storage of a couple of tunes offline. This way you can update templates and interfaces without requiring app updates or risking stability of the core functionality. Roll out to iOS, Android and desktop/web all at once. See Ionic, for example.

Cloud processing layer for generating ECU-consumable files, the actual "tune" from the base dimensions and metrics, selected in the front-end application. Thus separating the front-end app from the more complex processes and more severe bugs.

Modules for each device type to interface with OBDII hardware from the cross-platform app. The easiest approach for this might be to just piggyback on the Tactrix hardware and offer a USB -> USB-C/whatever adapter or have customers get their own, start with some of the open-source flashing software like ROMRaider then build on top of that.

Personally, I would go for simplicity before advanced capabilities. The vast majority of people buying accessports buy them to use staged tunes and never even see a pro tuner. Then when they do, they're just getting some basic adjustments for a pretty vanilla setup. Capture that market first.

My 2c

#10 ·
anybody have a recommendation for an OBDII simulator i can use to test / dev this? Software based is preferred, but id pay a fair price for a good hardware bench unit as well.

id rather not sit parked in the drive for hours at a time with the motor running. =/

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.