Consensus on Cobb Access Port and Subaru Warranty - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
Consensus on Cobb Access Port and Subaru Warranty
Consensus on Cobb Access Port and Subaru Warranty
Go Back   STI Forums > > > Consensus on Cobb Access Port and Subaru Warranty

Old 08-11-19, 01:32 PM   #1
T1000
Becoming A Contributor
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Fav Mod: Coming Soon
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

T1000 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Consensus on Cobb Access Port and Subaru Warranty

After searching through an endless amount of forum discussions dated over the past decade surrounding ECU flashes and warranty, I've noticed a few statements that Subaru can identify historical changes to the ECU.

I called Cobb the other day and their rep confirmed with me that an unmarried Access Port will only be seen as a resetted ECU by Subaru, which is the equivalent to unplugging a battery.

1. What's the consensus here? Can Subaru identify historical flashes or can they only see a resetted ECU?

2. Has there been any confirmed instances where warranty was denied to a "properly" unmarried tune with no trace of visual mods?

3. If there are instances with denied warranty, assuming Subaru can identify historical flashes, are these only limited to a specific year make/model.

Apologies if somebody has already confirmed and gotten to the bottom of this but based on my research I still feel like I don't know the answer.
Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-19, 01:58 PM   #2
crick0234
Master Contributor Level 2
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Car: DGM '12 WRX STI 5DR
Fav Mod: shortThrow Shifter
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

crick0234 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Consensus on Cobb Access Port and Subaru Warranty

there's so much anecdotal crap out there of yes and no and maybe so that in the end, its just easier to assume if you WANT an intact warranty, dont mod or install a cobb. If you are OK with the possibility of losing warranty, aka "pay to play," then go for it.

i think several years ago, someone asked the same exact question with vague to anecdotal answers... and then several years prior to that, same thing.

I would love for someone to change my cynical view; i welcome those to try
Likes 2 Dislikes 0

Old 08-12-19, 03:36 PM   #3
T1000
Becoming A Contributor

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by crick0234 View Post
there's so much anecdotal crap out there of yes and no and maybe so that in the end, its just easier to assume if you WANT an intact warranty, dont mod or install a cobb. If you are OK with the possibility of losing warranty, aka "pay to play," then go for it.

i think several years ago, someone asked the same exact question with vague to anecdotal answers... and then several years prior to that, same thing.

I would love for someone to change my cynical view; i welcome those to try
Based off of the limited information I could find, I agree with you on the conservative response on approaching this. However, it just puzzles me with such a large community and we still can't get to the bottom of this.

I've spoken with Cobb and I know where they stand per my original post. However nobody can confirm where Subaru stands.

I'm surprised that none of the Subaru reps, that is also part of our forum community, have chimed in. Nobody has buddies that work for Subaru that are active in the forums?

Or better yet, anybody that bought a pre owned WRX and did a Pre Purchase Inspection through Subaru might be able to confirm what Subaru can verify.

Also, I would be curious to know if any of our fellow members have actually been denied warranty with a clean stock unmarried tune.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-19, 06:29 PM   #4
mheyman
Gold Member
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Fav Mod: Camber Camber Camber
My Subaru Parts for sale

mheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by T1000 View Post
I would be curious to know if any of our fellow members have actually been denied warranty with a clean stock unmarried tune.
Not sure what you meant. It's certainly been claimed here and else where that people have had claims denied when they were actually stock, and people who were significantly modded even at the dealer and had whole engines covered - enough times to assume at least a small percentage of each were real. It actually is hit or miss depending on the dealer, their service personnel, the owner, the car, and Subaru factory techs. There is no bullet proof answer. You mod, you take your chances. It certainly helps if your dealer is supportive, whether they are your friend, they hate SOA that day and want to stick it to em, OR how or many other cars have they tried to have covered before SOA starts checking into them. . . .

ADDED: I did not really answer the question of can they tell. I'm saying at this point it doesn't really matter - and oh for that question , the answer is the same!!! We've heard instances of both yes they can tell, and no they can not. Personally I don't think that not so long ago they could not. I also believe that that dealers have told owners they could to get them to admit modding or abuse, and that it has worked. But It's just a matter of time. Even if they couldn't on a 2019 perhaps they will be able to in 2020 . . . As an engineer, I cant imagine that they next platform wont be able too.

If you think you should have lower r's at cruise you're in the wrong car

I become a more loyal IAG customer every time I drive my STI

Last edited by mheyman; 08-13-19 at 04:08 AM.
Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Old 08-12-19, 09:01 PM   #5
T1000
Becoming A Contributor

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by mheyman View Post
Not sure what you meant. It's certainly been claimed here and else where that people have had claims denied when they were actually stock, and people who were significantly modded even at the dealer and had whole engines covered - enough times to assume at least a small percentage of each were real. It actually is hit or miss depending on the dealer, their service personnel, the owner, the car, and Subaru factory techs. There is no bullet proof answer. You mod, you take your chances. It certainly helps if your dealer is supportive, whether they are your friend, they hate SOA that day and want to stick it to em, how or many other cars have they tried to have covered . . .
Thanks for chiming in.

If it's been confirmed that claims have been denied when actually stock with no signs of mods, then that would validate Cobb's understanding of what Subaru can identify after unmarrying is incorrect. That's the information I've been trying to dig for. Maybe I just need to do more digging as I couldn't find those instances.

I would be curious to know if those are isolated to a certain year model with a newer ecu. Also if these denied stock claims were fully unmarried back to stock or maybe there was just a user error e.g. the initial backup of the cars tune during the marrying process was not stock to begin with or the user was using Cobb's version of the stock tune instead of fully unmarrying?

I understand it's at the discretion of the dealership if there is any modding identified, so significantly modded cars have no gray areas and doesn't need to be discussed as we already know what to expect. However, it is not at their discretion if they can't identify any changes.

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 08-13-19, 06:01 AM   #6
T1000
Becoming A Contributor

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Not sure what you meant. It's certainly been claimed here and else where that people have had claims denied when they were actually stock, and people who were significantly modded even at the dealer and had whole engines covered - enough times to assume at least a small percentage of each were real. It actually is hit or miss depending on the dealer, their service personnel, the owner, the car, and Subaru factory techs. There is no bullet proof answer. You mod, you take your chances. It certainly helps if your dealer is supportive, whether they are your friend, they hate SOA that day and want to stick it to em, OR how or many other cars have they tried to have covered before SOA starts checking into them. . . .

ADDED: I did not really answer the question of can they tell. I'm saying at this point it doesn't really matter - and oh for that question , the answer is the same!!! We've heard instances of both yes they can tell, and no they can not. Personally I don't think that not so long ago they could not. I also believe that that dealers have told owners they could to get them to admit modding or abuse, and that it has worked. But It's just a matter of time. Even if they couldn't on a 2019 perhaps they will be able to in 2020 . . . As an engineer, I cant imagine that they next platform wont be able too.
After the rod and engine bearing settlement that took place recently for the ej's, I completely agree, there is no way Subaru would release a new platform without being able to detect unmarried ECU flashes. That's not assuming they already can.

I went to my local dealership to see if I can get an answer straight from the horses mouth. The guy that was helping me said they wouldn't be able to detect an unmarried ECU but will be able to detect freshly stripped bolts and that only stage 1 is a safe bet. When I brought up CID's he seemed a bit hesitant and not 100% confident after. When I have time I'm going to try and get confirmation from another rep or maybe call a few other dealers.

Basically I'm telling them I'm in the market for a used Subaru but don't want to buy a molested engine and asking them if their pre purchase inspections will be able to confirm that I won't be buying one that has been previously flashed. If any one active in the forums can call their local dealerships and report back that would also be greatly appreciated as that would give us a larger sample size.

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 08-13-19, 08:11 AM   #7
mheyman
Gold Member
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Fav Mod: Camber Camber Camber
My Subaru Parts for sale

mheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of light

The issue is still the same. knowledgeable and untruthful answers is part of what you'll hear - and I certainly would NOT trust a answers now, to hold up latter if you run into an engine failure.

Quote:
After the rod and engine bearing settlement that took place recently for the ej's, I completely agree,
The suite that was instigated may be considered to be proof that some owners of stock cars were denied.

I'm repeating myself . . . done . . .

If you think you should have lower r's at cruise you're in the wrong car

I become a more loyal IAG customer every time I drive my STI

Last edited by mheyman; 08-14-19 at 04:22 PM.
Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Old 08-13-19, 10:31 AM   #8
crick0234
Master Contributor Level 2
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Car: DGM '12 WRX STI 5DR
Fav Mod: shortThrow Shifter
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

crick0234 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Basically I'm telling them I'm in the market for a used Subaru but don't want to buy a molested engine and asking them if their pre purchase inspections will be able to confirm that I won't be buying one that has been previously flashed. If any one active in the forums can call their local dealerships and report back that would also be greatly appreciated as that would give us a larger sample size.

i think that's kinda above their paygrade and you'll get dishonest answers. your best bet is to probably ask those questions to some of the subaru techs that post videos on youtube. They may be more forthcoming with honest answers.
Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Old 08-13-19, 10:52 AM   #9
T1000
Becoming A Contributor

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
The issue is still the same. knowledgeable and untruthful answers is part of what you'll hear - and I certainly would trust a answers now, to hold up latter if you run into an engine failure.

The suite that that instigated may be considered to be proof that some owners of stock cars were denied.

I'm repeating myself . . . done . . .
Thanks for your input and perspective on this.

I would say getting responses straight from the dealer as I suggested would provide the most reasonable assurance and will be the approach I'll be taking to get to the bottom of this.

In the end, I can see why this doesn't matter for any GD and some early model GR owners, since those warranties are most likely expired.

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 08-13-19, 11:15 AM   #10
T1000
Becoming A Contributor

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by crick0234 View Post
i think that's kinda above their paygrade and you'll get dishonest answers. your best bet is to probably ask those questions to some of the subaru techs that post videos on youtube. They may be more forthcoming with honest answers.
I believe the Pre Purchase Inspections includes a diagnostic scan. However I'm not sure if this would be the same as a scan from any other average joe.

Thanks for another source to look into.

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement