Consensus on Cobb Access Port and Subaru Warranty - Page 3 - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
Consensus on Cobb Access Port and Subaru Warranty
Consensus on Cobb Access Port and Subaru Warranty
Go Back   STI Forums > > > Consensus on Cobb Access Port and Subaru Warranty

Old 08-15-19, 09:17 AM   #21
T1000
Becoming A Contributor
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Fav Mod: Coming Soon
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

T1000 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Consensus on Cobb Access Port and Subaru Warranty

Quote:
Originally Posted by enoxard View Post
If you dont think dealerships lie, ok then. for me, the nail is in the coffin. my car is already out of warranty period.

no tech can guarantee any future warranty claim will be honored or denied, that is the entirely arbitrary decision of SOA.

if youre buying a used STI, get the normal PPI, leak down, and compression test. if those check out - negotiate as low as you can.
I agree with you that not all dealerships, even people in general, are honest. However, I don't see why multiple techs at different dealerships would consistently want to put themselves in such a bad situation with not much to gain.

Your profile shows that you have a 2017. Unless it's salvaged or has tampered odometer readings, you might even be eligible for the 100k 8yr engine bearing settlement extension.

I also agree with you that techs can't guarantee warranty however I do believe they are a significant part of the equation for approval. I wouldn't say it's a 100% arbitrary decision by SOA. SOA should have a process in place to make consistent decisions on denying warranty based on support. It's only arbitrary when they give you a pass for goodwill to approve warranty when they have support to deny.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Last edited by T1000; 08-15-19 at 09:34 AM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-19, 10:12 AM   #22
crick0234
Master Contributor Level 2
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Car: DGM '12 WRX STI 5DR
Fav Mod: shortThrow Shifter
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

crick0234 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by T1000 View Post
I agree with you that not all dealerships, even people in general, are honest. However, I don't see why multiple techs at different dealerships would consistently want to put themselves in such a bad situation with not much to gain.

Your profile shows that you have a 2017. Unless it's salvaged or has tampered odometer readings, you might even be eligible for the 100k 8yr engine bearing settlement extension.

I also agree with you that techs can't guarantee warranty however I do believe they are a significant part of the equation for approval. I wouldn't say it's a 100% arbitrary decision by SOA. SOA should have a process in place to make consistent decisions on denying warranty based on support. It's only arbitrary when they give you a pass for goodwill to approve warranty when they have support to deny.

i would ask FORMER techs, not ones currently working for subaru. Former techs owe nothing to subaru so are more free to speak honestly. I dont know if there's company policies... ie: will an apple employee tell u this particular iphone blahblahblah sucks? will the be more forthcoming in telling u how to hack their phones?

and i think techs are the first barrier to entry. for warranty fullfilment, SOA would send a rep out to do an inspection. a tech could say its 100% warrantable but the rep could totally deny it.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 08-15-19, 10:15 AM   #23
enoxard
Advanced Mastery Level III
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Fav Mod: kung f00 skillz!
My Subaru Parts for sale

enoxard has a spectacular aura aboutenoxard has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by T1000 View Post

regrettably, i sold the 2007.. i currently own a 2017.

You can read about them here

:: enoxard's 2007 OBP :: Dom 3 XTR :: 440/400 ::

and here

enoxard returns: stockAF 2017 STi .

good luck on the hunt!
Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-19, 11:58 AM   #24
T1000
Becoming A Contributor

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by crick0234 View Post
i would ask FORMER techs, not ones currently working for subaru. Former techs owe nothing to subaru so are more free to speak honestly. I dont know if there's company policies... ie: will an apple employee tell u this particular iphone blahblahblah sucks? will the be more forthcoming in telling u how to hack their phones?

and i think techs are the first barrier to entry. for warranty fullfilment, SOA would send a rep out to do an inspection. a tech could say its 100% warrantable but the rep could totally deny it.
That would be the most ideal but unfortunately I don't know any former techs. Hopefully we have some in the forums that can chime in.

I think the best solution is to find an unmarried car and have a tech run their test to see the results. I would be willing to chip in couple dollars for the test just to get a concrete answer. Just need to find someone willing to bring their car in.

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 08-15-19, 12:40 PM   #25
T1000
Becoming A Contributor

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by enoxard View Post
regrettably, i sold the 2007.. i currently own a 2017.

You can read about them here

:: enoxard's 2007 OBP :: Dom 3 XTR :: 440/400 ::

and here

enoxard returns: stockAF 2017 STi .

good luck on the hunt!
Sweet ride!

How do you like the 17' compared to the 07'?

FYI, you might want to blur out your plates in case you ever have to deal with warranty. I hear some dealers lurk. Also if you plan to use your Blackstone records you should blur the IDs as well.

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 08-15-19, 02:37 PM   #26
Boilermaker128
Becoming A Contributor

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Boilermaker128 is an unknown quantity at this point

They can send the ecu of to get read thoroughly, but it'd have to be for a good reason, An expensive warranty claim could do it.

Can they see past peak boost levels easily? That'd be an easy give away.
Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Old 08-15-19, 02:39 PM   #27
enoxard
Advanced Mastery Level III
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Fav Mod: kung f00 skillz!
My Subaru Parts for sale

enoxard has a spectacular aura aboutenoxard has a spectacular aura about

.. edit .. nm.. the internet will never come to consensus. and even if it did, would likely be wrong.

Last edited by enoxard; 08-15-19 at 02:42 PM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 09-05-19, 03:14 PM   #28
cby1
Becoming A Contributor

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

cby1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry to revive what is a painful thread for many - but - we've heard about ignition cycles and other counters being reset when the ECU is flashed (also when the battery is disconnected, as I understand it).

What about that peak boost level "since the beginning of time" that is displayable on the center info screen (my car is a 2019 STi)? As the poster prior to Boaty McBoatface (Grand Tour Shout-out ;-) mentioned, that value could be a dead giveaway. Does anyone know if the peak boost gets erased/reset when the ECU is flashed?

Thanks,
Chris
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 09-06-19, 04:22 AM   #29
STINick19
Advanced Contributor Level 1

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

STINick19 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cby1 View Post
What about that peak boost level "since the beginning of time" that is displayable on the center info screen (my car is a 2019 STi)? That value could be a dead giveaway. Does anyone know if the peak boost gets erased/reset when the ECU is flashed?
The peak boost value on the display is reset when the ECU is reset from disconnecting the battery, when the ECU is flashed, or can be reset manually via the display settings.

Subaru may store the peak boost value elsewhere that could persist through an ECU reset/flash.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 09-06-19, 05:10 AM   #30
STINick19
Advanced Contributor Level 1

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

STINick19 is on a distinguished road

Reading up on Subaru's class action settlement for spun rod bearings provides insight into what they attempt to check for. They're denying claims for any sign of modification or abuse.
Quote:
11. “Excluding Conditions” means the following vehicle conditions or modifications, which, if currently present or previously existing in the vehicle, exclude the Settlement Class Vehicle from receiving a repair under the terms of the Extended Warranty:
a. Any modifications to the Engine Control Unit (ECU) or any ECU “tune,” whether currently installed or “unmarried” (e.g., COBB Accessport, RomRaider, etc.);
b. Any “piggyback” device designed to intercept and alter ECU signals or standalone ECU (e.g., UTEC, Apexi, Megasquirt);
c. Aftermarket air-fuel controller;
d. Any device designed to increase boost from the turbocharger;
e. Manual Boost Controller;
f. Aftermarket boost control solenoid;
g. Use of aftermarket or modified mass air flow (MAF) or manifold absolute pressure (MAP) sensor (or other electrical circuits);
h. Use of wastegate pressure restrictors;
i. Aftermarket or modified turbocharger;
j. Front mounted intercooler with aftermarket hot or cold side intake piping;
k. Modification of OEM boost control system and control hoses;
l. Non-factory specification camshaft;
m. Connecting rod broken (e.g., broken from revving beyond redline);
n. Use of Nitrous Oxide injection systems;
o. Use of E85 fuel;
p. Use of alcohol injection;
q. Use of water injection;
r. Use of aftermarket fuel injectors with nonfactory specification flow rate;
s. Modification of OEM exhaust system components and emission controls, including catalytic converters;
t. Max Data well over set limits. (e.g., excessive RPMs caused by missshift);
u. Evidence of non-sanctioned drag racing and or street racing from a “stop” or a “rolling start”;
v. Evidence of any Excluding Conditions having been removed prior to arrival at retailer;
w. Multiple engine oil changes greater than 8,000 miles apart; and
x. Evidence of use in a competitive automotive event other than for static display only.

The following vehicle conditions or modifications, which, if currently present or previously existing in the vehicle, shall not alone or collectively exclude the Settlement Class Vehicle from receiving a repair under the terms of the Extended Warranty:
a. Installation of aftermarket Cat-Back exhaust (e.g., aftermarket exhaust installed after (or downstream of) the factory catalytic converter);
b. Installation of atmospheric blow-off valve;
c. Installation of aftermarket cold-air intake; and/or
d. Installation of aftermarket top-mounted intercooler.
So basically they'll try to find any reason they can to deny a warranty claim.. evidence of an ECU flash, prior modification (returning to stock), abusive driving, exceeding factory ECU parameters, etc. This implies that they review ECU logs/parameters, check for signs of mechanical tampering or abuse, and so on. This could just be a scare tactic to reduce warranty claims or they may have the ability to find such evidence..

What surprises me more is that the BOV & intake aren't excluded since they both require a tune..

The takeaway is modify at your own risk ("pay to play") since you'll be jeopardizing the powertrain warranty on your car... Just say no to warranty fraud

Last edited by STINick19; 09-06-19 at 06:34 PM.
Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement