Is the accessport worth the money? - Page 4 - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
Is the accessport worth the money?
Is the accessport worth the money?
Go Back   STI Forums > > > Is the accessport worth the money?

Old 03-14-18, 11:47 AM   #31
Noximus
Advanced Mastery Level II
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Fav Mod: 2015 STI Steering Rack!
My Subaru Parts for sale

Noximus is a glorious beacon of lightNoximus is a glorious beacon of lightNoximus is a glorious beacon of lightNoximus is a glorious beacon of lightNoximus is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Is the accessport worth the money?

Quote:
Originally Posted by enoxard View Post
checked the cobb site, it is simulated. this is not the same as the OEM map.

COBB Tuning - 2017 Subaru WRX STI Installed Stock Mode Map

They only say simulated to cover themselves legally because they can’t truly have a stock map on their AP. If all values are stock, it runs like stock, then I consider this a valid copy to use for OEM logging purposes.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-18, 11:50 AM   #32
enoxard
Advanced Mastery Level III
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Fav Mod: kung f00 skillz!
My Subaru Parts for sale

enoxard has a spectacular aura aboutenoxard has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noximus View Post
They only say simulated to cover themselves legally because they can’t truly have a stock map on their AP. If all values are stock, it runs like stock, then I consider this a valid copy to use for OEM logging purposes.
possibly true.. except the cobb maps could be viewed as a 'competitor' to the OEM map and so any comparative data should be suspect. eg, "See how sucky the simulated OEM map is, you need to buy our stuff!"

but i digress.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 03-14-18, 12:02 PM   #33
Cake Eater
Master Contributor Level 1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Car: 15 STI
Fav Mod: My GFB BOV
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Cake Eater has a spectacular aura aboutCake Eater has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
please do share how those of you claiming 'lean values on the OEM tune' measured this. AFAIK, the AP does not have the ability to log the OEM map.
On my 15 I'm using ECUTEK, the values are in the logs.

How and where this happens, I don't know, I just pay money and magic happens on the dyno.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-18, 12:40 PM   #34
Noximus

My Subaru Parts for sale

Noximus is a glorious beacon of lightNoximus is a glorious beacon of lightNoximus is a glorious beacon of lightNoximus is a glorious beacon of lightNoximus is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
possibly true.. except the cobb maps could be viewed as a 'competitor' to the OEM map and so any comparative data should be suspect. eg, "See how sucky the simulated OEM map is, you need to buy our stuff!"

but i digress.

Don’t need to digress. I think you’re missing one of the main features of the accessport. Don’t forget that their selling point is also that the AP can reset the ECU, read codes, log data, view live data, etc. It does exactly the same as any $20 code reader or a $100 tactrix cable combined with a free RomRaider. This is why they offer a stock map so that you can log and see for yourself the claims they make for their future stages. It’s only $700 because it’s a tuner with no cost added trusted source performance maps on a super easy platform that is widely used internationally.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 03-23-18, 01:49 AM   #35
lidrew
Advanced Mastery Level III
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Car: 2011 DGM Sedan
Fav Mod: Brake Dust
My Subaru Parts for sale

lidrew will become famous soon enoughlidrew will become famous soon enough

Two STis , 10 years with over 160k Cobb AP protuned miles without any issues and the last 5 years +100 whp over stock on E85 stock turbo on my 2011 STi.

Is the AP worth it?.... I wouldn’t own an STi without it. Both my STis were tuned by the time they hit 5k miles or so....Complete transformation of the car. Yes there are other options but probably 90% of people on here use Cobb AP.

I don’t understand why people say don’t mod until your warranty expires. If you mod and blow your motor, you will have to pay for it either way. Why wait 5 years till the warranty expires?

Old 03-23-18, 04:01 AM   #36
mheyman
Gold Member
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Fav Mod: Camber Camber Camber
My Subaru Parts for sale

mheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by lidrew View Post
Two STis , 10 years with over 160k Cobb AP protuned miles without any issues and the last 5 years +100 whp over stock on E85 stock turbo on my 2011 STi.

Is the AP worth it?.... I wouldn’t own an STi without it. . . .

I don’t understand why people say don’t mod until your warranty expires. If you mod and blow your motor, you will have to pay for it either way. Why wait 5 years till the warranty expires?
Cause if you don't mod and blow your motor it will be covered . . . and the 60K warranty for people like me is only two years.

But I agree, in my GD, Cobb Stage 2 was a transformation - even without a pro-tune - and it ran perfectly till I wore the engine out.

If you think you should have lower r's at cruise you're in the wrong car

I become a more loyal IAG customer every time I drive my STI
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 03-23-18, 04:08 AM   #37
Noximus

My Subaru Parts for sale

Default Is the accessport worth the money?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mheyman View Post
Cause if you don't mod and blow your motor it will be covered . . . and the 60K warranty for people like me is only two years.

But I agree, in my GD, Cobb Stage 2 was a transformation - even without a pro-tune - and it ran perfectly till I wore the engine out.

And not everyone can afford to mod and have a budget for a rebuild. Not modding on warranty is the safest advice without knowing the person’s personal situation.

Edit: I know it sounds like common sense to some of us, but I’d bet close to 80% of the people modding their cars here have no idea how much a rebuild costs, nor have a budget for it. They all believe they’ll take care of it when it happens, which is the most stupid thought process ever.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 03-23-18, 07:44 AM   #38
mheyman
Gold Member
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Fav Mod: Camber Camber Camber
My Subaru Parts for sale

mheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of light

Add: or how likely it is to be needed for one reason or another !

If you think you should have lower r's at cruise you're in the wrong car

I become a more loyal IAG customer every time I drive my STI
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 07-03-18, 03:46 AM   #39
roadtrip1098
Contributor
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Car: 06 Blue STi
Fav Mod: Stickers, they add 10 Hp!
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

roadtrip1098 is an unknown quantity at this point

Short answer - Yes.
Long answer - Maybe. The Accessport is the most user friendly device out there for tuning and is widely supported by tuning shops and by COBB with OTS maps. Given what it brings to the table, it's a pretty good value. However, there are ways you can tune (if you know what you're doing) for significantly less. Tactrix is a good example - at less than $200 it allows you to tune as many Subis' as you want and supports other brands like Mitsubishi. If you're fairly new to the tuning stuff, I absolutely 100% recommend the AP. If you're a tuning veteran and a tech wiz, then maybe consider open source - understanding that the AP is still the better tool.
Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement