Is the accessport worth the money? - Page 2 - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
Is the accessport worth the money?
Is the accessport worth the money?
Go Back   STI Forums > > > Is the accessport worth the money?

Old 03-11-18, 01:44 AM   #11
bobster22
Becoming A Contributor
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Fav Mod: Coming Soon
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

bobster22 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Is the accessport worth the money?

Custom tune with open source software is roughly same cost as AP, if you are not planning to mod custom one off tune might be better otherwise yes AP is worth it
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-18, 10:26 AM   #12
brapp
Becoming A Master Contributor

Car: 2005 STi
Fav Mod: going from GR -> GD
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

brapp will become famous soon enoughbrapp will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mheyman View Post
* Don't ask, read and learn, read and learn, read and learn. Then decide.
* If you don't trust yourself, think twice. If you still want to mod, read and learn about great shops and find one. Discuss with them, and decide with them.
This.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cake Eater
There are lots of options for ECU tuning, Accessport is one option.

Getting your car tuned by a pro is the best thing you can do.

Finding a "real" pro is the hard part.

Finding someone who say they are a pro is easy, unfortunately.
And this.

If you are looking to do things properly and get a custom tune done by a pro, the Accessport is probably the most expensive option. You'll pay usually 400-600 for a tune regardless of whether it is done through an Accessport or through opensource software. Then Accessport is another 600 on top of that.

You can run the off-the-shelf maps that come with the AP, provided you use EXACTLY the parts listed for that map. Even then, it won't be nearly as good of a tune in terms of power, drivability, and safety as a map that's made for your specific vehicle.

The AP also comes with some other neat things, like being able to switch maps on the fly and the ability to datalog and monitor certain functions. Up to you if those other things are worth it.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 03-11-18, 02:34 PM   #13
tylerlieberman
Advanced Mastery Level I

Fav Mod: Seat Time
My Subaru Parts for sale

tylerlieberman is just really nicetylerlieberman is just really nicetylerlieberman is just really nicetylerlieberman is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick724 View Post
I know it will def void the warranty and I did some research on it. But I wouldn't say to much. I got about 14k miles on it right now.
Looks like you don't know, because an AP definitely does not void a warranty. It does, however, mean you can possibly denied warranty claims should something happens and SoA links the failure to the AP.

Last edited by tylerlieberman; 03-11-18 at 02:53 PM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-18, 02:36 PM   #14
tylerlieberman
Advanced Mastery Level I

Fav Mod: Seat Time
My Subaru Parts for sale

tylerlieberman is just really nicetylerlieberman is just really nicetylerlieberman is just really nicetylerlieberman is just really nice

With regards to the AP, I think the ability to log realtime is very useful, especially considering it's small enough to just put in the glovebox when it's not being used.

I don't really care for the OTS Maps, but the device itself presents quite a few options for people
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 03-11-18, 03:30 PM   #15
brapp
Becoming A Master Contributor

Car: 2005 STi
Fav Mod: going from GR -> GD
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

brapp will become famous soon enoughbrapp will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerlieberman View Post
With regards to the AP, I think the ability to log realtime is very useful, especially considering it's small enough to just put in the glovebox when it's not being used.

I don't really care for the OTS Maps, but the device itself presents quite a few options for people
Agreed. I also really like the valet mode map.

That being said, you can datalog quite easily with a $100 Tactrix cable and a windows laptop. So it's not the only way, just the simplest.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 03-13-18, 07:54 AM   #16
b18c5rjdm
Advanced Contributor Level 1

Fav Mod: Absurd insurance rates
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

b18c5rjdm is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick724 View Post
I have a 2016 sti it is completely stock and I'm finally getting the itch to get some extra hp. Wasn't sure which direction to go but Ik the ap is the number one thing to do. Not really to sure though what to do after I get an intake and exhaust. This car is pretty much my daily as of right now. Don't really put more then 25-30 miles on it a day. Jus looking for a little guidance. Appreciate it!
I'm gonna disagree with 90% of these replies. Ignore your itch. If it's your daily, assume the worst unless you got enough surplus to rebuild an engine. Just take a look at social media, 9 times out of 10 you see things like "I bought an AP and now my engine is blown".
If you are gonna mod it, find a good tuner first. Talk to them about putting them on and tuning right then and there. That way you aren't driving the car without issues.
I still don't have an AP and I'll never have one. I don't need that extra stress in my life, drive until it breaks is my philosophy. Just my 2c.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 03-13-18, 08:55 AM   #17
enoxard
Advanced Mastery Level III
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Fav Mod: kung f00 skillz!
My Subaru Parts for sale

enoxard has a spectacular aura aboutenoxard has a spectacular aura about

i bought an AP, installed it for a few miles and removed it.. thought id give it a second go and divorced it less than a day later.. it now sits unused in my basement office.

quite frankly, the stock tune is more fun than the OTS cobb stage 1 map.

i mostly agree with b18c5rjdm, keep it stock.. drive it until it breaks.
Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Old 03-13-18, 06:06 PM   #18
Noximus
Advanced Mastery Level II
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Fav Mod: 2015 STI Steering Rack!
My Subaru Parts for sale

Noximus is a glorious beacon of lightNoximus is a glorious beacon of lightNoximus is a glorious beacon of lightNoximus is a glorious beacon of lightNoximus is a glorious beacon of light

I wouldn't get an AP again until it's combined on the same purchase with a downpipe and a proper pro/e-tune.

Stage 0/1 tunes aren't really worth it. The intake, whether CAI/SRI, isn't worth it at all.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 03-13-18, 10:42 PM   #19
Cake Eater
Master Contributor Level 1

Car: 15 STI
Fav Mod: My GFB BOV
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Cake Eater has a spectacular aura aboutCake Eater has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noximus View Post
I wouldn't get an AP again until it's combined on the same purchase with a downpipe and a proper pro/e-tune.

Stage 0/1 tunes aren't really worth it. The intake, whether CAI/SRI, isn't worth it at all.
My OEM tune was rubbish, it leaned out under load, which is far from perfect.

If warranty is something that you want to rely on then I suppose it's fine because you can hit up Subaru if you have catastrophic engine failure.

Me, I had the car tuned to avoid any OEM deficiencies, I would rather rely on a good tune for reliability, the cost of a good tune is insurance in my books.

Point of note: If you are running on a poor OEM tune it may cause issues that don't raise there heads till your warranty is out.

IMO, and from research I have done, the OEM tune is more based around emissions rather than safety.

The first thing I usually do when I buy a new car is to get it tuned, buy a pro, on a dyno, I have never had a issue over all the years I have been doing this.

I put this down to only using the best people and equipment, too many people cheap out on something that should see the most attention.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 03-14-18, 03:49 AM   #20
mheyman
Gold Member
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Fav Mod: Camber Camber Camber
My Subaru Parts for sale

mheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noximus View Post

I mostly agree with Noximus. I bought both at the same time, but didn't have time to install the DP for a while. Course I'm "old school" in a GD and things have changed a bit. But Both my OTS tunes were fine. Stage two was far better than than stock and leaned less than stock It was a huge improvement and I drove it for 75k with no issues. Would a pro tune have been better - yeah some, but there was less left on the table than I had gained. I didn't pro-tune for the same reason everyone else says you should! I didn't know who to trust and I knew it !!! When I was ready to build I traveled . . .

Yes we have seen some complaints about Cobb tunes, but we see complaints with stock tunes and protunes too . . . my impression is that they have gotten better - and I don't understand how they couldn't be, they promote more complex tuning and are making it easy to it do it . . . like hybrid maf/map (speed density) . . .

If you think you should have lower r's at cruise you're in the wrong car

I become a more loyal IAG customer every time I drive my STI

Last edited by mheyman; 03-14-18 at 03:55 AM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement