IW STi Forum banner

Clutch CREAK?

24K views 47 replies 31 participants last post by  Flash 
#1 ·
My clutch just recently started making an awful noise. This is not the high pitched squeaking I've been hearing about, it's loud and it sounds like a barn door with rusty hinges opening. I can also feel the vibration/resistance in my foot. Has anyone else experienced this and figured out how to fix it? I think I'll give Andrewtech a call in the morning but if it's something simple I may as well do it myself.

#2 ·
i have the same problem. it can be heard from the inside and outside of the car and you can feel it through the pedal. i believe its the slave but i could be wrong. unfortunately i think the only way to fix it is to take the tranny out first because thats where it is...in the bell housing.

#3 ·
I THINK I know the problem...

First... remove all clutch pedal play... once u remove all clutch pedal play... u need to go a BIT further (say half rotation at a time) with the clutch ignition interlock switch...

Here is how u do it... use a 14mm wrench to loosen the lock nut UNDER the pedal... unplug the interlock switch, TURN 1/2 turn at a time, retighten the locknut underneath (u may need to HANDTIGHTEN the nut ABOVE the pedal on the same side as the switch before wrench tightening the one underneath)...

#4 ·
I've had this noise issue but not the vibrations on the pedal since my car hit 28,000 miles and did not mind it as I have the radio on and it hides the sound. 20k miles later, its still annoying but I'm about to replace the clutch anyway so hopefully the shop that will install my clutch will take a look at the inside of the transmission and see if the problem lies inside and not the pedal itself.

#6 ·
I think I have the same problem, my pedal squeaks really bad when you depress it. Could it be an oiling issue?

#7 ·
I've dealt with this same problem a couple of times. This is what worked for my squeaky clutch. Most important item is some good silicone lube in a tube, not the spray on stuff! The spray worked for me, for only about 7,000 miles. First step is to take off your top mount intercooler. Once removed, you will see a small gold colored rod, with a black dust boot on it. It is located directly below where the intercooler sat, and it's only a few inches long(facing front to back).Next, I took some small needle nose pliers and "carefully" pulled the end of the dust boot open,(closest to the intake manifold side), so there was a gap to fit the spray lube little straw in, and then sprayed some lube inside the dust boot. I then took out the little lube straw and needle nose pliers, and then worked the lube by depressing the outside of the dust boot and worked the lube on the inside of the boot all around. You want to try to work it in toward the tranny/firewall side of the dust boot. You need to depress the clutch a few times to try and work it in some more, during this process. You will hear the squeek go away, when the lube has worked in enough! The first time I did this, I used the spray lube, and it didn't last. the second time I used some lithium in a tube, and worked it in really well, and it's been fine ever since, (10,000 miles). Put the intercooler back on, tighten everything up, and you should be good to go.Like I said, this is what worked for me, so it might also work for you! :tup:

#8 ·
I kind of thought it was going to be something like that cuasing the noise. Thanks for the info on my side, hopefully it helps the op and the rest too.

#17 ·
went to the dealer for the same problem and they are replacing my pilot bearing and if my clutch is worn they are going to replace that to and its all under warrenty!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D:D:D:D

#18 ·
i have this problem too, but only when the car is warm and i've been on and off the clutch a lot (like driving through nyc during rush hour :lol: )

What a pain...gonna have to try this fix when i get a chance. Sucks too, because i'm 200 miles from the end of my warranty :lol: 36k here we come!

Jesse

#19 ·
mgsm666 said:
i have this problem too, but only when the car is warm and i've been on and off the clutch a lot (like driving through nyc during rush hour :lol: )

What a pain...gonna have to try this fix when i get a chance. Sucks too, because i'm 200 miles from the end of my warranty :lol: 36k here we come!
I have the same problem from time to time, and it's a lot more noticeable when I have been in stop and go traffic or depressing the clutch a lot.

I thought I just needed to lube up the pedal but it sounds like I may need to look into this some more myself.

FYI this should be covered by the 5yr/60k powertrain warranty. Or at least I would think so since it's part of the drivetrain. :)

#20 ·
kts262 said:
I have the same problem from time to time, and it's a lot more noticeable when I have been in stop and go traffic or depressing the clutch a lot.

I thought I just needed to lube up the pedal but it sounds like I may need to look into this some more myself.

FYI this should be covered by the 5yr/60k powertrain warranty. Or at least I would think so since it's part of the drivetrain. :)
actually, i don't think its covered - 5/60 is for engine/drivetrain, but doesn't cover wear + tear parts such as the clutch. It would cover gears, but not clutch IIRC.

#21 ·
mgsm666 said:
actually, i don't think its covered - 5/60 is for engine/drivetrain, but doesn't cover wear + tear parts such as the clutch. It would cover gears, but not clutch IIRC.
isn't this more an issue with the pivot pin/something else then the clutch and it needing to be replaced. i understand the clutch is a wear item but i thought this was from something else that just needed to be lubed/replaced.

#22 ·
Warranty doesn't really do much here.

My car started doing this at 1~2k pretty much brand new; they replaced it under warranty but it came back after 15,000 miles.

I don't even bother with it now... I asked a tech about it and he described it as being "STi normal" along with an assortment of other noises. :lol:

#24 ·
count me in too. however, i get zero vibration. just a squeak/creek. it also only happens after long highway trips(like when i drive up to maine from mass, every weekend- 100 miles). it doesn't really bother me. the car has 14,400 miles. maybe i will have the dealer take a look to see what they tell me.

#25 ·
My clutch pedal was squeaky after 11000 miles.

It was one of the interlock switches (either ignition or cruisecontrol), I can't remember which one.

The dealer replaced it under warranty - no more squeak

#26 · (Edited)
I just started experiencing this exact same thing starting last week with 29,300 miles. Going into the dealer tomorrow. Is it just an audible annoyance, or is there a mechanical detriment if this is not addressed?

Just wanted to update: dealer said the creak was coming from the pivot fork and greased it up. No more creak for now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.