IW STi Forum banner

Gear oil preference????

35K views 21 replies 16 participants last post by  Afrikantk 
#1 ·
Is there a preferred gear oil among STI owners? I dug up a few old ass threads most of them talked about ESGO and I'm pretty sure that is discontinued and it's just HPGO now. I've seen a nice Motul package from Mach V for less than $100. Figured I'd see what everyone is using. From the lack of current threads I'm assuming the subject is far less controversial than motor oil and any GL-5 75w90 will do.

#3 ·
Yeah i changed all my trans and diff fluids around 30K with whatever gear oil the dealership used. I will re flush everything out and refill with oem gear oil again at the 60K mark. If you dont track your car, i don't really see the need for fancy gear oils.

#7 ·
being that we need to change gear and rear diff oil every 30K miles on our cars, I splurge a little and use Motul. It is a little pricey, but since the the change intervals are somewhat large, I don't mind it at all. Plus, a lot of my friends who work on Subarus and the shops I've been to always recommend it. So far no issues what so ever. I also did notice coming from Subaru 75w90 to Motul that shifting was much smoother, but then that could just be the effects of fresh gear oil in the car.

#8 ·
I been searching motul 300 vs subaru extra-s for a few days now as well and most all I find are old ass threads and nothing within the last few years. Is motul 300 still the best choice for the trans? I have a new 18 STI with only 4k miles and it shifts great except for the first few shifts in the cold. I have been thinking about changing it out at my next oil change.

#11 ·
Initially was going to use Extra-S. It was fine in the rear diff but cold weather shifting was even worse (hard to find gears) with that stuff. Switched to Amsoil severe gear (couldn't get motul for a decent price at that point) and I've been happy with it. It's not OMG night and day difference - but it took me back to where I should be. With amsoil first gear is still tight first thing in the morning during winter, but I can double clutch into 1st without a problem and after a few miles I'm good. On the supposed Extra S stuff it was a lot bigger pain in the ass for much more of my drive.

#12 ·
I just put in the Motul Gear 300 last night with 4200 miles on the odo of my 18 STI. Driving to work this morning I can definitely feel a difference. It feels smoother and a bit easier to get into gear. The real test will be when it gets below freezing. It also appears to have quite a bit less gear noise when making the rounds through the parking garage slowly in second gear.

#16 ·
i'm surprised nobody has used redline lightweight shockproof. i have been using that stuff for any 6 speed STI trans I service, including my own and that was with multiple cars.
the stuff is great, never ever had a bad experience with it, and i prefer it over motul.

for the rear diff, i have used redline's gear oil also..no preference here really, as long as it is reputable stuff and the correct weight.

#17 ·
I personally love Redline oils and use 5W30 in my engine, but I've heard it's not good for STI 6-speeds with the internal oil pump because the shockproof contains solid particles that could damage the pump. I have used the Andrewtech mix (3-quarts lightweight shockproof, then topped off with Motul 300) in my old 2004 2.5RS with the 5 spd. It worked great in there.

Right now I'm using Extra S (I had a drum on hand before it was discontinued) in the transmission and Subaru 90 weight LSD oil (also discontinued) in the rear end. I figure once I get through my inventory I'll give Motul 300 a try as well as Motul 90PA for the rear.

#20 ·
Redline 75W90 NS GL-5 synthetic gear oil is recommended.
The other Redline stuff is not.

I use their water wetter. There's no science (not even a "clinical test" to show it won't hurt my pet chickens, or exfoliate my skin), whatsoever, to prove that it does anything that they claim it does, but it's in there.

Most lubricant producers tend to spend more on marketing than proving their consumer products.

For now, I'm using Royal Purple products because they are the least expensive products made from synthetic esters. Until some firm can actually provide scientific proof (blow me up an engine, for crying out loud!) that they make something better, I'm fine with the purple stuff.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.