SlackerNJ
Advanced Contributor Level 3
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Car: 08 STi OBP
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

SlackerNJ is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Heavy Shift Knob Questions

So I have never used a really heavy shift knob and I was thinking about trying one on the Kartboy short shifter I just ordered for my 08.

But I have a few questions. The first is does it really effect shift feel that much?? Does anyone not like theirs?

Next is a mechanical question. Does having a heavy shift knob stress the rest of the transmission. I know that you aren't supposed to drive around with your hand resting on the shifter for exactly that reason. Does having a 1 pound metal ball up there have any effect or am I being paranoid?
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-08, 11:46 PM   #2
unrequited
Master Contributor Level 2
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Fav Mod: Nintendo Decal
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

unrequited is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Heavy Shift Knob Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlackerNJ View Post
So I have never used a really heavy shift knob and I was thinking about trying one on the Kartboy short shifter I just ordered for my 08.

But I have a few questions. The first is does it really effect shift feel that much?? Does anyone not like theirs?

Next is a mechanical question. Does having a heavy shift knob stress the rest of the transmission. I know that you aren't supposed to drive around with your hand resting on the shifter for exactly that reason. Does having a 1 pound metal ball up there have any effect or am I being paranoid?
For the first, I've driven a couple heavy-weight shifters, they "feel" smoother and I like them. It's personal responsiveness... You could always sell it at the next meet near you if you don't. Not sure about that last question, it's a good one. I'm considering as well and hopefully somebody can chime in.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 05-16-08, 04:55 AM   #3
boondocksaint
Murderer & Drug Dealer
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Car: something or other
Fav Mod: mullet
My Subaru Parts for sale

boondocksaint has much to be proud ofboondocksaint has much to be proud ofboondocksaint has much to be proud ofboondocksaint has much to be proud ofboondocksaint has much to be proud ofboondocksaint has much to be proud ofboondocksaint has much to be proud ofboondocksaint has much to be proud of

I have one and love it. I'm no engineer, but I cannot think of a way a heavier shift knob is going to affect the gearbox. The resting your hand on the shifter deal isn't due to the weight of your hand, it's because that doesn't allow the shifter to move as the trans moves. As long as the shifter is allowed to, well, shift, you should be golden.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-08, 05:02 AM   #4
polyol
Advanced Mastery Level II

Car: 04 STi
Fav Mod: Motor Mounts
My Subaru Parts for sale

polyol is an unknown quantity at this point

I see this as a "grounding kit" mod...of a sorts. Probably does nothing but people buy them and seem to like them...so...
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 05-16-08, 05:03 AM   #5
boondocksaint
Murderer & Drug Dealer

My Subaru Parts for sale

boondocksaint has much to be proud ofboondocksaint has much to be proud ofboondocksaint has much to be proud ofboondocksaint has much to be proud ofboondocksaint has much to be proud ofboondocksaint has much to be proud ofboondocksaint has much to be proud ofboondocksaint has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by polyol View Post
I see this as a "grounding kit" mod...of a sorts. Probably does nothing but people buy them and seem to like them...so...
Excepting that you can actually feel the difference and don't have to mess with your wiring, yeah, they're exactly the same.

Old 05-16-08, 05:15 AM   #6
Jesse
Silver Member
Feedback Score: 23 reviews

Car: FR-S
Fav Mod: low
My Subaru Parts for sale

Jesse is on a distinguished road

i absolutly love mine, feels like i added shifter bushings again.

makes it a very easy throw, with a short shifter, its sick!
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 05-16-08, 05:29 AM   #7
polyol

My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by boondocksaint View Post
Excepting that you can actually feel the difference and don't have to mess with your wiring, yeah, they're exactly the same.
My post wasnt meant to be a diss on you and I never said they were "exactly the same" did I?...but yeah...they are on the same level. Some people claim that they can "feel" a difference from a grounding kits. I guess this is the mod you get when you have already modded out and are dying to spend money on something.

If someone handed me one or game me the money to buy one I would pimp it.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 05-16-08, 05:32 AM   #8
boondocksaint
Murderer & Drug Dealer

My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
My post wasnt meant to be a diss on you and I never said they were "exactly the same" did I?...but yeah...they are on the same level. Some people claim that they can "feel" a difference from a grounding kits. I guess this is the mod you get when you have already modded out and are dying to spend money on something.

If someone handed me one or game me the money to buy one I would pimp it.
Just seemed like and apples to oranges comparison to me. I dunno how anyone could "feel" a grounding kit, and have never heard such. Have you ever tried a heavier shift knob?

If not, how the heck would you know one way or the other?

Old 05-16-08, 05:50 AM   #9
polyol

My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by boondocksaint View Post
Just seemed like and apples to oranges comparison to me. I dunno how anyone could "feel" a grounding kit, and have never heard such. Have you ever tried a heavier shift knob?

If not, how the heck would you know one way or the other?
I had one on my old car...and no it didnt make much of a difference. So I guess my answer is yes and no. Maybe the STi is just such a different animal that I dont even know whats up...
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 05-16-08, 05:54 AM   #10
boondocksaint
Murderer & Drug Dealer

My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
I had one on my old car...and no it didnt make much of a difference. So I guess my answer is yes and no. Maybe the STi is just such a different animal that I dont even know whats up...
Sorry man. Not trying to bust your balls. I'm just guarding against that: "I love/hate this mod even though I've never tried it." Seems to be becoming more prevalent lately.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement