Install a remote start car alarm in an sti - Page 4 - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
Install a remote start car alarm in an sti
Install a remote start car alarm in an sti
Go Back   STI Forums > > > Install a remote start car alarm in an sti

Old 09-15-10, 10:50 AM   #31
wrxt4cy
Becoming An Advanced Contributor
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Car: 2011 STi - E85
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

wrxt4cy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Install a remote start car alarm in an sti

No issues so far with my alarm, but I did notice one thing thats odd. It seems that when my car is remote started, the rear defroster is always on. Getting in the car (without bypassing the remote start) I can't turn it off. Once I put the key in and bypass the remote start, the defroster turns right off on its own. The car has been in 70 degree weather and higher and the brain is reading even higher (known issue I guess) so I don't know why the defroster is on. From reading the install manual, I thought it was only supposed to be on when the brain reads the temp to be 55 or below. I see other defrost settings and a way to supposedly turn in on/off via remote, but its not clear to me how these other settings work.

Any thoughts?

Edit: Just figured out why its always on. The defroster wire has two possible functions. Second status output and defroster. Default is second status, and I didn't change the setting for it. Doh

Still don't fully understand the latched vs. pulsed options for the defroster... guess I'll RTFM a few more times.

Double edit: I now understand that latched means it gives a constant ground and pulsed means it "pulses" the ground but doesn't hold it.

It would seem that it needs a latched ground (based on how its accidentally working now), but I'd rather not pull the dash off and test it and don't want to be damaging anything if it needs only a pulse. A little googleing hasn't found me the answer yet.

Last edited by wrxt4cy; 09-15-10 at 11:29 AM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-10, 08:28 PM   #32
thundercamel
Advanced Mastery Level I

Fav Mod: Tinted windows
My Subaru Parts for sale

thundercamel is on a distinguished road

My rear defroster is also always on when I remote start the car. I thought that the viper control module's thermometer must be defective, but I also thought by default the wire's default function was defroster, not second status output. Reviewing what I wrote on the first post, since that wire drives the coil of the rear defog relay, I must have set mine to latch.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 09-15-10, 10:03 PM   #33
wrxt4cy

Car: 2011 STi - E85
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

wrxt4cy is an unknown quantity at this point

Latched is the correct setting. With that setting enabled, my defroster isn't always on now. I assume it will work automatically when it becomes cold enough, and I can turn it on now with the remote.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-10, 11:33 PM   #34
WhiteHawkSTi
Advanced Contributor Level 1

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

WhiteHawkSTi is an unknown quantity at this point

Some of your links on the original post arent working? I could really use the diagram for my 5701 install.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 12-28-10, 01:07 AM   #35
mautai916

Car: 07 white STI
Fav Mod: Coming Soon
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

mautai916 is an unknown quantity at this point

Has enyone wired the trunk release yet? Buy.com - Directed 522T Trunk Release Solenoid

I want to buy and hook it up, but am unsure how to with the viper 5902 (wiring, and physically installing the unit)
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 12-28-10, 06:06 AM   #36
thundercamel
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteHawkSTi View Post
Some of your links on the original post arent working? I could really use the diagram for my 5701 install.
The links are working, but the source has gone away. Try to get a factory service manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mautai916 View Post
Has enyone wired the trunk release yet? Buy.com - Directed 522T Trunk Release Solenoid

I want to buy and hook it up, but am unsure how to with the viper 5902 (wiring, and physically installing the unit)
I just used the solenoid I had set aside for my subaru on a friends 93 geo metro convertible. It works, barely, as it is kinda weak.

If you don't really care about the car, (such as a 93 geo metro convertible), we used self tapping screws. Run one wire to a good ground, and the other gets powered from the button. We powered the button from the cigarette lighter source.

Last edited by thundercamel; 12-28-10 at 11:24 AM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 01-19-11, 01:58 PM   #37
mautai916

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

I had this alarm installed by a tech that came to my house, and i lost his number. So i got a quick question

When i arm + disarm, it locks and unlocks door with the viper 5900 unit. How do i get it to lock and unlock automatically when i turn on/off my ignition as well?
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 01-19-11, 03:27 PM   #38
thundercamel
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

Menu 1-3 is for ignition lock on/off, and menu 1-4 is for ignition unlock on/off. They're both turned on by default, but the unlock has been a hit and miss function for me. I've been testing the theory that I need to press the brake before I put it in gear, to get it to unlock.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 01-19-11, 05:08 PM   #39
mautai916

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by thundercamel View Post
Menu 1-3 is for ignition lock on/off, and menu 1-4 is for ignition unlock on/off. They're both turned on by default, but the unlock has been a hit and miss function for me. I've been testing the theory that I need to press the brake before I put it in gear, to get it to unlock.
Sweet, i got that. I guess i have some points of clarification cause im electronically inclined

How to wire DTDP switch? I couldn't understand what you mean.

I have so far 2 wires for the blinkers, a wire from the alarm to trigger the blinkers.... Can you please guide me to which wires go to which # on the relay?Thank you SOO MUCH!

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 01-20-11, 07:13 AM   #40
thundercamel
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

Alrighty, the picture helps. Here is my original text, with some numbers added for your terminals:

Connect the 2 normally opens (TERMINALS 3 & 4, FOR THE LEFT AND RIGHT TURN SIGNAL OUTPUT) to the two turn signal wires. Connect the 2 common terminals (5 & 6) together, to the light flash output (FROM THE ALARM UNIT), and also to one side of the coil (7). The other side of the coil (8) goes to ground.

I'm going to use your picture, to edit my original post, since I could have been more clear.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement