Old 07-31-08, 10:14 PM   #1
ytsohptwhere
Advanced Mastery Level I
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Fav Mod: 'STi' Licence Plate! w00t w00t
My Subaru Parts for sale

ytsohptwhere is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Engine Oil Change 04 STi

I have been thinking about giving back to the IWSTI community ever since I joined. The engine oil change how-to in the catalog is good, but I found that the pictures were too small to provide good enough clarity on certain things. So here it goes! Your suggestions/comments are welcome! Thanks again!
WARNING: This is not, I repeat NOT a oil/oil filter preference flame post. If you do not agree with my oil/oil filter choice, I don't care. This combo works for me. This has been debated many times in the past, use the search feature and make your own decisions.

Disclaimer: Please be careful when working under your car. It is heavy, and if you are not careful it can cause serious damage to your person and or vehicle.

Items Required:
2 Ton or greater rated Jack Stands
Floor or Bottle Jack
Oil Pan
12mm Socket or Wrench
17mm Socket

Ratchet of desired drive for Sockets used (I used 1/2 inch drive for both 12mm and 17mm sockets)
Torque Wrench (Must go to at least 50 ft/lbs)
Gloves (Oil changes can get messy, quickly)
Oil Filter Wrench
Oil Filter
(K&N Filter Part # HP-1008) (Subaru 6 pack with crush washers https://www.subarugenuineparts.com/p...roducts_id=830)
4.8 US quarts of 5W-30 Oil (This is what is required for the 04 STi. Make sure to check your owners manual for correct amount of oil needed)
Flashlight (Optional)
Cat Litter (Optional) (Helps clean up oil spills!)

Here is a few Subaru part numbers for a few optional/different things that can be substituted out for what I have posted above (Thanks IIcx!).

Oil Filter
15208AA100 (link given to it but did not write the part number)
Drain Plug crush washer 11126AA000 (included with oil filters if you get the filters from the link given in the write up) (I just got a bunch they are not expensive)
Plastic push pin Clips 57728AC090 (4 used on skid plate) (worth haveing a couple extra in case you break some or they are getting difficult to pop off)
Magnetic Oil drain plug 32103KA000 (thanks swr999)
Banjo Bolt 14445AA090 (with Turbo screen filter) (I am still waiting on Subaru official recommendation)
Gasket 803912040 (for Banjo Bolt)

Step 1: Get you car on a hard, even, flat surface and get your car up on jack stands. I put mine up on 4 jack stands, so that later on when you are draining the oil, the car is already level and will drain properly.
Where to jack and put jack stands has been debated many times before. I use the spots described in the following thread.

https://www.iwsti.com/forums/how-inst...ackstands.html

Step 2: Once you get your car up on 4 jack stands, it is time to remove the brush guard. There are 5 bolts to remove and they are all 12mm. They are outlined in the following picture.

Step 3: Now that you got your brush guard off its time to get under the car. You should take a second and locate the oil filter and the oil drain plug. They are circled in the following picture.

Step 4: If your engine is cool, go ahead and start it up and let it run for about 5 minutes. This helps the oil get warm and drain much easier and quicker.

Step 5
: Once it is warm your ready to start draining! Go ahead and position your oil pan about 3-5 inches to the right of your drain plug (the oil comes out quite quick and quite a lot. It may come out so quickly that it might spill out of your oil pan onto the floor! Watch out!). Grab your wrench and a 17mm socket and start loosening the drain plug. Make sure you are wearing gloves at this point because once that plug comes off it can get quite messy on your hands. Once you break the plug loose, you can finger loosen the plug out until the oil starts pouring out as seen in the following picture.

At this time, go ahead and pop the hood and remove the oil cap and oil dip stick. Removing these further helps the oil draining process. As seen in the following picture.

Go ahead and let it drain for a good 10-15 minutes. Once the oil starts to just drip from the oil pan, go ahead and grab your oil filter wrench and start to loosen the oil filter. Once you have broken it loose, move your oil pan under the oil filter. Again, make sure you are wearing your gloves as not to get your hands messy. Keep unscrewing the filter until it comes off. Once it has been removed let the oil drain for another 5 minutes. This can be seen in the following picture.

Step 6: Now that the oil has been drained, it is time to add your new oil filter and replace the drain plug. Before you put your new filter on fill it up with oil then install it. In this case I used a K&N Filter (Part # HP-1008). I have had no problems what so ever with this filter. The drain plug as a copper crush washer on it. There has been discussion on whether or not you should replace it or not. I have done 3 oil changes and not replaced it yet and have had no leaks or problems (if you would like to replace it, the part number is 11126AA000).

Step 7: Go ahead and start threading your oil pan plug back in. Get out your torque wrench and torque the plug to 44 Nm (4.5 kgf-m, 32.5 ft-lb). Once you have that torqued down grab your new oil filter. I usually grab one of the new bottles of oil and fill the oil filter up and lube up the threads. After filling the filter, carefully start threading it onto the oil filter spot. Once the filter turning gets hard, I give it an extra 1/2 to 2/3 turn to make it tight. You are now ready to start adding your new oil!

Step 8: With the oil drain plug and new oil filter added, go ahead and crack open a bottle of your new oil and start pouring it in as shown in the following picture.

Make sure and remember that you are adding 4.8 US quarts of oil to your car. (This is what is required for the 04 STi, your car may differ. Make sure and check owners manual for correct amount required).
Once you have added one bottle, make a quick check under the car to make sure nothing is leaking, if all looks well, start adding the other bottles (continously checking under the car to make sure nothing is leaking).

Step 9: Once you have added your oil replace the oil cap and oil dipstick and start the car and again check to make sure nothing is leaking. If everything looks good, go ahead and let the car get to normal operating tempurature. Once the care is at operating tempurature stop the car and check the dip stick. If you are a little low add more as needed. As a good rule of thumb, add 4 and a half quarts and add as needed (I added 5 quarts to my car tonight and was right at the full line).

Step 10
: Make sure the car is off. Go ahead and get under the car again and re attach the brush guard to the bottom of the car (if it is hot, you can wait for it to get cooler, but if you are careful, you should be fine). Get the car off the jack stands and take that car for a ride. Enjoy!

Questions/Comments welcome!

Last edited by ytsohptwhere; 05-12-11 at 11:40 PM. Reason: Fixing dead picture links
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-08, 08:34 AM   #2
SAx COLIN STi
Advanced Contributor Level 1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Car: Blue 04 WRX STi
Fav Mod: Brum brumm.. pop
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

SAx COLIN STi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Engine Oil Change 04 STi

Have you been having good luck with Fully synthetic 5w-30? Any increased or decreased consumption?
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 08-01-08, 09:20 AM   #3
ytsohptwhere
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAx COLIN STi View Post
Have you been having good luck with Fully synthetic 5w-30? Any increased or decreased consumption?
The Mobil1 5W-30 that I am using is fully synthetic. As far consumption is concerned, I have yet to see any significant consumption. Hope that helps.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-08, 10:13 AM   #4
STi_FTW
Becoming A Master Contributor

Fav Mod: Not seized bolts, grrrr...............
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

STi_FTW is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the awesome write-up, I've got to change my oil this weekend, so this should come in handy.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 08-01-08, 11:23 AM   #5
blindfold
Advanced Mastery Level II
Feedback Score: 16 reviews

My Subaru Parts for sale

blindfold is on a distinguished road

to make your write-up even more uniqie, find out if the magnetic 08 drain plug will fit 04-07 oil pan, it should and add the part number with price

ProperFitment Crew Member #5

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 08-01-08, 03:57 PM   #6
ytsohptwhere
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindfold View Post
to make your write-up even more uniqie, find out if the magnetic 08 drain plug will fit 04-07 oil pan, it should and add the part number with price
I just got off the phone with my local Subaru Dealership and they said it would fit. I forgot to ask for the part number but they said it would cost around 4 bucks. I will call back next week and get the part # and add it to the post.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 08-08-08, 10:20 AM   #7
STI Sibb
Developing Advanced Mastery

Car: Blue 07 WRX STI
Fav Mod: Soap
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

STI Sibb is on a distinguished road

Nicely done. Those are very good pictures and I like the green circles (MS Paint)?
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 08-08-08, 12:59 PM   #8
dan the man
Active Participant

Car: white 04 wrx sti
Fav Mod: tumbler deletes
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

dan the man is an unknown quantity at this point

looks like you need to change your oil a little more frequently, thats pretty bad if you cant see through it.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 08-09-08, 10:33 AM   #9
swr999
Advanced Mastery Level I
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Car: PSM 05 WRX STi
Fav Mod: Good shoes
My Subaru Parts for sale

swr999 has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by ytsohptwhere View Post
I just got off the phone with my local Subaru Dealership and they said it would fit. I forgot to ask for the part number but they said it would cost around 4 bucks.
I purchased one today at the dealer:

Subaru p/n 32103KA000, Price: $2.46
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 08-09-08, 08:06 PM   #10
STI Sibb
Developing Advanced Mastery

Car: Blue 07 WRX STI
Fav Mod: Soap
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

STI Sibb is on a distinguished road

I just got done changing my oil for the first time on the STI. A few notes:

1. Oil gushes from that 1/2" plug. It came out so fast that it bounced out of the drain pan and onto the garage floor.

2. I bought the adjustable oil filter wrench (Craftsman) from Kmart. Advanced Auto wrenches did not fit the filter at all. I regretted the Kmart purchase at first since it was cast steel, but when I used it, it was perfect.

3. I wasn't able to turn the Oil Filter 1 full turn once the seal touched (Owner's Manual states 1 full turn for the black filter). I was able to get it 3/4 by hand and left it there.

4. It held 4.5 liters when I refilled it.

5. One funny note: The 07 Owner's Manual says to put the Undercover back on and then check for any leaks from the plug and filter after running the car.

6. I used Shell (non synthetic) 5W-30. I used 1 large container (3.785 liters) and 1 small container (.987 liters). The large container was bad for the oil pouring back onto the bottle. I was able to manage with a funnel, but I should have poked a hole in the top of the large container prior to pouring.

Last edited by STI Sibb; 08-09-08 at 08:51 PM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement