2014 STi Tsuguri Blown engine 10,000km - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
2014 STi Tsuguri Blown engine 10,000km
2014 STi Tsuguri Blown engine 10,000km
Go Back   STI Forums > > > 2014 STi Tsuguri Blown engine 10,000km

Old 07-05-14, 04:34 AM   #1
Robotica
Becoming A Contributor
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Car: WRX STi 2014 Tsuguri
Fav Mod: Coming Soon
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Robotica is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 2014 STi Tsuguri Blown engine 10,000km

Ok so i'm new to this forum and you can consider me quite the newbie in the subie world ! This is my story....My previous car was a 2011 Legacy which i loved but after driving stick shift all my life the cvt got to me ! So in May 2014 i decided to treat myself to a 2014 WRX STi Tsuguri Edition (I was looking to buy the 2015 but the guy couldn't confirm id get it for Christmas and i was planning on swapping the huge spoiler for a blank trunk anyways so the Tsuguri was exactly what i wanted). FASTFORWARD: bought the car end of May (demo with 8,000km - previous owner: dealer owner's daughter), drove the car unmodified for approx 3 weeks loving it more and more everyday until she died! Story: Went to a friend's house, gave him a good ride (nothing excessive, no redlining, nothing over 150-160km/h, a simple good 60-160 acceleration kind of ride on the highway...20 mins of pure fun. We came back to his place, parked the car maybe 30mins and when i got in to leave that's when the engine started to make a knocking sound at low rpms, a very nerve racking metal on metal type of noise. I had to go get my daughter at the inlaws so i had no choice but to drive it approx 15mins (believe me I Sunday-drove it religiously...ideally i would've preferred to have it towed right away)...anyways at a certain range of rpm (3-4k) the knocking wasnt so bad, i would hear it clearing when de clutching (i never want to hear that f***ing noise again!). FASTFORWARD: After 1 week at the dealership (Subaru Des Sources in the west-island) they finally got Subaru's OK to investigate the engine. Result: blown piston and bent rod (newbie here guys...might not be using the exact vocabulary) so they will order a new long block. The guy confirmed this about 1 week ago and after speaking to him yesterday he couldn't give me an info as to the whereabouts of the parts or any info on a possible timeline...it sucks but i'm prepared to be patient (not my best quality) + there are a couple of other things they need to fix like for example a freaking rust spot near a headlight and investigate squealing brakes). So I'm presently driving a superb 2014 white Forester....Believe me I miss my car big time ! That's it, i just thought i'd share my story after reading so many threads it was time for me to pitch in.... I also wonder if anyone has had any experiences in major repair work done at Subaru Des Sources in Dorval and if they'd like to comment on staff etc...

Last edited by Robotica; 07-05-14 at 04:38 AM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-14, 04:39 AM   #2
STIANON
Advanced Contributor Level 1
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Fav Mod: Group N Motor/Trans Mounts
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

STIANON is an unknown quantity at this point

Sucks dude. At least you got it covered though. A new long block is a pretty penny.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 07-05-14, 05:24 AM   #3
Robotica
Becoming A Contributor

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Default Re: 2014 STi Tsuguri Blown engine 10,000km

Yeah man i know, the 1 week waiting period was indeed a bit stressful. I was pretty sure the warranty would cover it but after reading so many threads on the subject i still was worried Subaru would play the "excessive driving" card or something.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-14, 06:41 AM   #4
STIANON

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Ya I've seen a few threads where they blame it on lack of oil or excessive driving. Really shitty. Maybe subaru of Canada is a bit nicer then SOA
When people get denied like that or don't I've seen them pony up the dough for a built motor. Have you thought of that? Sell your brand new long block and get something forged. Of course there would be no warranty.

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 07-05-14, 06:55 AM   #5
Robotica
Becoming A Contributor

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

I didn't think of that at all, and to tell you the truth right now i'm more chicken sh*t than anything, i want the work to be done right and move on with my first STi experience ! I bought it demo with 8,000km and purchased the extended warranty for this exact purpose. I'm planning on keeping it until theres about 6 months left on the warranty and swap for a newer model. I was planning on replacing the stock intake with a CAI from AEM but I've heard that sucker makes some nasty air sucking sounds...might try it. BTW, do you guys think i would absolutely need a pro tune with a AEM CAI ? AEM states i doesn't need one and that the MAF sensor won't see any difference...somehow i find that far fetched...

Envoyé de mon iPad en utilisant Tapatalk
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 07-06-14, 06:44 AM   #6
STIANON

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

I wouldn't even waste your money on a CAI. And as far as I know it would effect the tune. IMHO a CAI is a bit of a novelty unless your going with a proper build, injectors,turbo, etc. the stocker is good for 400 hp anyways.

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 07-06-14, 09:23 AM   #7
Robotica
Becoming A Contributor

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Thanks man thats the most constructive advice i get on the subject so far ! Whats your opinion on CAT backs...i might be interested in a STP cat back for a lower rumble...would that require any tuning ? (No down pipe, just the cat back).

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 07-06-14, 10:25 AM   #8
Nurp
Advanced Contributor Level 2

Car: 2014 SWP WRX STi ST
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Nurp is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotica View Post
Thanks man thats the most constructive advice i get on the subject so far ! Whats your opinion on CAT backs...i might be interested in a STP cat back for a lower rumble...would that require any tuning ? (No down pipe, just the cat back).

Catbacks do not require tuning.
Likes 2 Dislikes 0

Old 07-08-14, 11:44 AM   #9
Robotica
Becoming A Contributor

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Ok well I just ordered an EVO3 catback from DSG Performance Inc. in Montreal. Should get it through their next shipment in about 1-2 weeks...we'll see how accurate that ETA is. After going through so many youtube videos on the subject, some of which are very well made (others not so much), I finally decided to go with the the GReddy EVO3. Now my car is still in the shop for at least an other 3 weeks (they're still waiting for the engine to arrive from Japan) and the guy at the dealership says he is willing to install my new exhaust. My question to you, the Pros, is : should I break in the new motor before installing the catback or should I have it installed before the car comes out ?
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 07-08-14, 12:54 PM   #10
bboytaktix
Advanced Mastery Level III

My Subaru Parts for sale

bboytaktix has a spectacular aura aboutbboytaktix has a spectacular aura about

wow cant believe I didn't see this thread earlier. I bought my 2011 STI (slightly used) from that same dealer, so far I have been having great experiences with them, the manager always says hello when I go there and he wants to buy my new rims from me :P the service techs are pretty cool guys as well, also car guys. Had to get a front wheel bearing replaced under warranty and it went pretty well, no hassle at all.

We are quite a few local Subaru guys who get together fairly often, send me your info and we could meet up sometime!
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement