Built motor running poorly. Need some opinions. - Page 2 - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
Built motor running poorly. Need some opinions.
Built motor running poorly. Need some opinions.
Go Back   STI Forums > > > Built motor running poorly. Need some opinions.

Old 10-29-19, 06:56 PM   #11
Jay11STI
Advanced Mastery Level I
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Car: 2011 SWP STi Sedan
Fav Mod: EWG & The Look On Your Face
My Subaru Parts for sale

Jay11STI has a spectacular aura aboutJay11STI has a spectacular aura aboutJay11STI has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Built motor running poorly. Need some opinions.

After reading the response, this is just terrible! If the machine shop built the engine then it is the responsibility shit shop A and machine shop to repair this car again! To the OP, you may want to consider contacing the BBB about this and also the FTC. Inform your local goverment and news stations aswell. If what you say about all this is honest and true then i really wish you the best of luck. Unfortunatly places that do work like this, cant afford to do better.

If your going to redo the engine, then I dont think you should do just pistons and rods. Think you should just replace the whole short block and start fresh. If you decide to have it done somewhere, i would highly recommend having 1 reputable and reliable subaru shop remove, rebuild, install, and tune the car.
Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-19, 07:27 AM   #12
Dasboost
Joined the Conversation
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Fav Mod: Coming Soon
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Dasboost is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks everyone. I appreciate the responses. I figured I was pretty much screwed. There was no receipt from either shop A or the machine shop. They basically did everything under the table and handed me the keys to a car that runs but pretty much terribly. They said it’s “built to last forever”. Whatever that means. Guess it doesn’t make any power so it won’t blow up haha. This does suck for sure. I just needed the confirmation from other people since shop B has people who worked at shop A at it and I’m in a pretty small town and can’t afford to shop the car to any super reputable shops. Long story short I got screwed. Thanks for confirming friendly internet people. Much appreciated. But I agree. It will probably be a new short block in the future.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 10-31-19, 04:34 AM   #13
Jay11STI
Advanced Mastery Level I
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Car: 2011 SWP STi Sedan
Fav Mod: EWG & The Look On Your Face
My Subaru Parts for sale

Jay11STI has a spectacular aura aboutJay11STI has a spectacular aura aboutJay11STI has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasboost View Post
Thanks everyone. I appreciate the responses. I figured I was pretty much screwed. There was no receipt from either shop A or the machine shop. They basically did everything under the table and handed me the keys to a car that runs but pretty much terribly. They said it’s “built to last forever”. Whatever that means. Guess it doesn’t make any power so it won’t blow up haha. This does suck for sure. I just needed the confirmation from other people since shop B has people who worked at shop A at it and I’m in a pretty small town and can’t afford to shop the car to any super reputable shops. Long story short I got screwed. Thanks for confirming friendly internet people. Much appreciated. But I agree. It will probably be a new short block in the future.

No receipts for a build or even a repair after, oh boy. Something like this being an under the table kind of thing really just gives you nothing to really stand on here. I do think you are now SOL, sorry for your loss sir. If people from shop A are now working at shop B, then it might be best to stay clear of both. I wish you the best of luck sir.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-19, 05:44 PM   #14
Scargo
Premium Member
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Fav Mod: Driver lobotomy
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Scargo is on a distinguished road

You start out saying "Took it in to a shop and long story short is they dropped the timing belt off the front of my car while they were driving and basically destroyed my motor. They found a time Sert in my idler pulley hole in the block on passenger side. After a lot of complaining the shop decided to “rebuild” my motor to what I had it at."
Is "a shop" the "A" shop or "B" shop? Did shop B destroy the engine? Who agreed to rebuild it?
Shop A or B is responsible for what they sub out to a machine shop.

Looking at your build, several things jump out at me. Way too much boost (35 PSI) for basic APR (SIC) studs, not being closed deck and not having special head sealing.
You may be from a small town but you act like you are a pawn in this fiasco. You should be suing them. Then you say you don't have money to get it done right. You are asking for it. I would get a lawyer, but if you have no documentation or proof you probably won't get far. At least get a lawyer to threaten them to give you your money back.

Old 11-01-19, 05:30 AM   #15
mheyman
Premium Member
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Fav Mod: Camber Camber Camber! Power! Wide ratio gearing! The rest is just support :)
My Subaru Parts for sale

mheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasboost View Post
Blah blah. So. 35psi on FP RED made 590/500. Took it in to a shop and long story short is they dropped the timing belt off the front of my car while they were driving and basically destroyed my motor. They found a time Sert in my idler pulley hole in the block on passenger side.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scargo View Post
You start out saying "Took it in to a shop and long story short is they dropped the timing belt off the front of my car while they were driving and basically destroyed my motor. They found a time Sert in my idler pulley hole in the block on passenger side. After a lot of complaining the shop decided to “rebuild” my motor to what I had it at."
Is "a shop" the "A" shop or "B" shop? Did shop B destroy the engine? Who agreed to rebuild it?
Shop A or B is responsible for what they sub out to a machine shop.

This is what makes things complicated. If you bring a failing car to a shop, few will take responsibility for things that break that they don't feel they were responsible for. Places I am familiar with you sign off on this for example before a dyno.

Rule 1 - one shop builds assembles, and tunes.

Is there something wrong with a TimeSert? I wouldn't think so if installed properly. Helicoils are often used to strengthen threads in soft material like out blocks. Of course they must be installed properly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scargo View Post
Looking at your build, several things jump out at me. Way too much boost (35 PSI) for basic APR (SIC) studs, not being closed deck and not having special head sealing.
You may be from a small town but you act like you are a pawn in this fiasco. You should be suing them. Then you say you don't have money to get it done right. You are asking for it. I would get a lawyer, but if you have no documentation or proof you probably won't get far. At least get a lawyer to threaten them to give you your money back.
Boost and accommodation - Good point Scargo - and 600 is very high for a DD - though it can be done, just not cheaply and well together. If funds are an issue, I'd suggest to dial it back a bit - though that could mean a different turbo - and those funds might go to fixing the head sealing. Need to review fueling too (can't see the original post while writing here) ) - 1300s sound small for 600 . . .
IMHO, to justify its' price, the S209 needs to perform at least as well as my moderately powered 05 built beater, and even that might not convince me to buy one cause my next STI isn't likely to be moderately powered.

I'm putting IAG back in here. Engine wise the car hase been trouble free for 56K. My STI is nearing the 60K minimum JJ led meto expect from a 2618 piston equipped block and it's still running strong.

Last edited by mheyman; 11-01-19 at 09:05 AM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement