IW STi Forum banner

New car need some help

2K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  mheyman 
G
#1 ·
Bought this car from a dealer auction through the repossession lane. Don’t know much about Subaru’s but my family owns a full service auto repair shop. The car has a spin bearing and third gear is blown out. Just trying to figure out what I actually have under the hood. I have worked on just about everything but have never gotten into after market parts on Subaru’s. Planning on rebuilding it but I would like to get some peoples opinions on what I should get for parts. Any recommendations? It has the mount for an access port but the access port it self is gone. Is it possible to recover the time it was running when I get the new access port?

#2 ·
you will be able to check the history, I don't remember how much of the snapshot data you will be able to see though. I normally use my handheld scantool or I purchased a Chinese version of the subi software that allows me to at least see whats goin on. I would suggest register, give more information about the car, some pictures etc so we can help.

#7 ·
There is a mishimoto front mount. Perrin tubing. An aeromotive fuel pressure regulator grim speeds down pipe and boost controller. And a blouch turbo. I guess my main question is what should I do for the motor? It has a spin bearing and I want to know what would be the best route to go. Full rebuild or do I just get a new block and work from there? If I tear the engine out put it on my bench and get new bearings rods and pistons will it work, or does the cylinder wall or crank get damaged from the bearing going out?

#8 · (Edited)
Verify what is wrong - assuming you are correct

To get it to what it was or was trying to be:

IAG Short block, $3K
AVCS gears, $200x2
oil cooler $300
Oil pump $200
Timing belt kit $300
KillerBee oil pickup $200
Gasket set $300
Valve job $750
Hoses All!
Clutch and Flywheel app $1K
Trans rebuild $1800 unless gears are shot, then +$200 ea. With some bushings It will shit like new after this :)
+ lots of misc
AP and Tune $1K

So start thinking $8500 in parts - but if the body it decent the car will be worth more than you are putting into it - IE you'dd be able to sell it for more that what you've spent. My numbers assume you aren't doing the valves or trans yourself, and I'm making the bottom end easy and great by buying one pre-assembled by a top line shop. A new SOA block with the new pistons would save $1K and might be enough depending on the turbo and tune.

Need to look mounts, brakes and suspension too. Oh, you need to know what you have for a fuel pump and injectors. For the moment let's assume they were upgraded appropriately with the rest of the car.

FYI I DD a black 05 with almost 240K on it - and it was rebuilt at 184K in 2015. It's now nearing 240K, which means my IAG built block has app 50K on it.

#9 ·
How do you know third gear is gone with a spun bearing?

#10 ·
Basically when we bought the car we had no idea what was done to it or if it even ran. It went the the auction as a repossession non runner, meaning that it could have a bad motor or tranny or just simply have no keys. Well we bought it for $1800 figuring even if the motor was bad we can swap in a stock engine and be way ahead still. When we picked up the car from the auction and saw what was done to it already we were surprised but also disappointed, because if the motor was bad then we would either have to get all new oem parts to replace the after market ones or just go all out and build it. Since it was a repo we didn’t know who the car came from but after looking through the car we found the registration with the guys name on it. We hit him up on Facebook and he sent us the keys in exchange for some personal papers in the car. He also told us somewhat what was done with the car and said that it needed work. So when we got the keys we decided to take it for a drive. It has a knock but it was running well enough that we decided to see what it could do. It was insane. Hit third gear and it wouldn’t go in but the guy had already said that so we weren’t really concerned with it. Honestly pushed the car way too much, we drove about 2 miles total and got it up to about 130. Pulling back into the shop we realized just how messed up the motor is, it didn’t want to run what so ever. Not 100% sure the bearings spun but it is definitely shot. Third gear is defined gone. But we decided to see what we would have into it to fix it all back to built. Otherwise it is getting put back to stock but I would hate to do that.

#11 · (Edited)
Going back to stock will cost very little less.

You could do a JDM swap for cheap. I wouldn't call that stock, and at that point you just mix and match. Look at my list. There only thing non-stock on it are the SB for $1K more, and oil pickup which you would be wise to do with any block.

You might pickup a JDM engine and trans for few $K? I never priced an STI engine and trans.

Added: Just remembered - I have a set of stock 05 gears, narrow ratio, the ones you replace to wide ratio gearing which is what I did, and why I have em. These were fine and include main shaft and 2nd through 6th. I paid almost $1500 for the LR gear set. I'd let the set go for for $500+ shipping. - the cost of a new shaft and third gear alone.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.