Deciding on turbo for potential twinscroll build - Page 2 - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
Deciding on turbo for potential twinscroll build
Deciding on turbo for potential twinscroll build
Go Back   STI Forums > > > Deciding on turbo for potential twinscroll build

Old 10-21-19, 06:18 PM   #11
Leemanfor
Developing Advanced Mastery
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Fav Mod: EFR 7163 Turbo
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Leemanfor has a spectacular aura aboutLeemanfor has a spectacular aura aboutLeemanfor has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Deciding on turbo for potential twinscroll build

Quote:
Originally Posted by killerbmotorsport View Post
For an EJ25 I would stick to single scroll. All the SS vs TS testing we've ever done, the SS always makes more area under the curve AND more peak power. Both turbine technologies have their benefits, but IMO if you want the best power on an EJ then SS is the best way to do it. If we were talking about the newer FA20 engine I would be arguing the opposite. Which turbine technology makes best optimized power often comes down to the engine design (bore/stroke, heads, etc...) you are working with.

I'm more a fan of the Garrett turbos, and I'm really looking forward to what the new G-Series will be capable of. So far it looks like it will be 'the' turbo for the next few years until BW comes out with there next competitive product.
There's been a few people local to me who have used them, and they seem like a good turbo. The G25-660 spools about the same as my 7163 and made ~490 whp ~450 wtq corrected running 28 psi.

They are just too expensive for what you get in my opinion. I see no reason to run a G25-550 or 660 when an EFR 7163 or EFR 8374 will be just as capable, cheaper and you don't need a BOV/EBCS since the EFRs come with them.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-19, 07:09 PM   #12
stealthlead
Becoming A Contributor

Fav Mod: Coming Soon
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

stealthlead is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leemanfor View Post
There's been a few people local to me who have used them, and they seem like a good turbo. The G25-660 spools about the same as my 7163 and made ~490 whp ~450 wtq corrected running 28 psi.

They are just too expensive for what you get in my opinion. I see no reason to run a G25-550 or 660 when an EFR 7163 or EFR 8374 will be just as capable, cheaper and you don't need a BOV/EBCS since the EFRs come with them.

Yeah, that's kind of the same conclusion I'm coming to so far as well. There is a great thread I've been reading over on the evo forums, they talk about comparing the EFR to the G series. I know its a totally different platform, but there's some good info there... they even posted a 14 STi graph running a g25-660... definitely worth perusing -

Garrett G-Series turbos - Page 8 - EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

Still haven't found a whole lot that would make me go 'wow' about the g series, and as you said not having to run a BOV or potential EWG is a big plus.
Attached Thumbnails
Deciding on turbo for potential twinscroll build-14-sti-g-series-jpg  
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 10-21-19, 07:40 PM   #13
nj kiter
Becoming A Master Contributor
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Car: aw 2005 sti !!!
Fav Mod: tbe
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

nj kiter is an unknown quantity at this point

I've had a ewg on my car for 8 years and I have grown tired of them. Aside from the noise, it is easy for the v-band clamps to leak if not installed 100% properly and it is a tight and awkward area where they are under the turbo which does not help the situation either. When they do leak it causes the car to run rich as it is a pre trubo exhaust leak as well and you will have a slight exhaust smell in the cabin at all times which gets old.

8 years ago I saw it as a good idea to help with boost control and they did however the noise, issues, smell, difficulty with installs as it is in a tight area have motivated me to go IWG on my next tune.

I took a small cell phone video of my wastegates leaking to show you guys what I am talking about..... (I can't figure out how to embed)

ewg leak - YouTube

v band leak - YouTube
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-19, 08:02 PM   #14
stealthlead
Becoming A Contributor

Fav Mod: Coming Soon
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

stealthlead is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by nj kiter View Post
I've had a ewg on my car for 8 years and I have grown tired of them. Aside from the noise, it is easy for the v-band clamps to leak if not installed 100% properly and it is a tight and awkward area where they are under the turbo which does not help the situation either. When they do leak it causes the car to run rich as it is a pre trubo exhaust leak as well and you will have a slight exhaust smell in the cabin at all times which gets old.

8 years ago I saw it as a good idea to help with boost control and they did however the noise, issues, smell, difficulty with installs as it is in a tight area have motivated me to go IWG on my next tune.

I took a small cell phone video of my wastegates leaking to show you guys what I am talking about..... (I can't figure out how to embed)

ewg leak - YouTube

v band leak - YouTube

Really good info, informative videos.. those leaks seem pretty substantial. I took one ride in an EWG with dump tubes and that was all it took to make up my mind. I will take the small sacrifice in HP and go IWG. I didn't even realize v-bands were that prone to leaking... tuner is pushing v band setup on me pretty hard.

The original plan was to run a garrett TS, with dual EWG's rerouted back into the dp, but I am now realizing how much of a waste that would be especially with EFR's seeming to run IWG so well. Not to mention how much space it would take up.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 10-21-19, 08:11 PM   #15
yamahaSHO
BROtuner
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Car: 2005 WRB
Fav Mod: Equal Length Header
My Subaru Parts for sale

yamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant future

You took a ride in my car at 8k-9k feet above sea level... I can't imagine anything felt lacking and there were no terrible noises or leaks.

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 10-21-19, 08:47 PM   #16
Leemanfor
Developing Advanced Mastery

Fav Mod: EFR 7163 Turbo
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Leemanfor has a spectacular aura aboutLeemanfor has a spectacular aura aboutLeemanfor has a spectacular aura about

I'm tired of my ewg after about 2 years. I'm going to recirculate it this winter
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 10-21-19, 09:41 PM   #17
yamahaSHO
BROtuner
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Car: 2005 WRB
Fav Mod: Equal Length Header
My Subaru Parts for sale

yamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leemanfor View Post
I'm tired of my ewg after about 2 years. I'm going to recirculate it this winter
I feel like someone warned you about that.

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement