MTUBS
Advanced Contributor Level 3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Fav Mod: ELH
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

MTUBS is on a distinguished road
Default What clutch for DD with 550 + torque

I have the ACT XDSS right now, and, it's not so bad. I think what I really don't like is the lightweight flywheel.

I like how the engagement/dis-engagement is very predictable with the pedal. The OEM seemed to always 'float' around it's engagement point.

Anyways.. motor is out.

Main requirements - daily driver friendly clutch that has predictable pedal engagement ... and... can hold upwards of 550 torque.

If it's the XDSS ok. But, I'd like to hear what others like and dis-like too.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-19, 07:12 AM   #2
Leemanfor
Master Contributor Level 1

Fav Mod: EFR 7163 Turbo
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Leemanfor has a spectacular aura aboutLeemanfor has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: What clutch for DD with 550 + torque

550 wheel torque? or crank torque?

my exedy HD Organic stage 1 clutch is rated at 472 ft lbs at the wheel or 600 ctq. Its horrible to drive. its heavy as shit, it chatters bad and its difficult to slip it even a bit when in stop and go traffic. I am replacing it with a Southbend stage 3 daily here soon
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 05-07-19, 03:13 PM   #3
nj kiter
Becoming A Master Contributor
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Car: aw 2005 sti !!!
Fav Mod: tbe
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

nj kiter is an unknown quantity at this point

I cant speak from experience as I have an ACT 6 puck in my car, but I too am looking into upgrading a clutch to something that can handle high amounts of torque while hopefully being more user friendly. I was going to try out a twin disk, Im under the assumption that with 2 disk the peddle pressure decreases as the force is shared between two disk. Rather than my single disk clutch which requires more pressure in order to withstand the torque. Can someone agree with my logic or not?
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-19, 07:07 PM   #4
Noximus
Advanced Mastery Level II
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Fav Mod: 2015 STI Steering Rack!
My Subaru Parts for sale

Noximus is just really niceNoximus is just really niceNoximus is just really niceNoximus is just really niceNoximus is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTUBS View Post
I have the ACT XDSS right now, and, it's not so bad. I think what I really don't like is the lightweight flywheel.

I like how the engagement/dis-engagement is very predictable with the pedal. The OEM seemed to always 'float' around it's engagement point.

Anyways.. motor is out.

Main requirements - daily driver friendly clutch that has predictable pedal engagement ... and... can hold upwards of 550 torque.

If it's the XDSS ok. But, I'd like to hear what others like and dis-like too.
The ACT XDSS is your best bet. It's the most stock like feel, albeit a tad stiffer and a tad lower engagement point, but very predictable. I love mine. It's been on for 2 years now, and 2 winters. Once broken in, it's super quiet and very easy to maneuver in traffic. I can easily ride the engagement point forever with minimal gas input. I couldn't be any happier with that part of my rebuild.

I didn't go with the lightweight flywheel. I've never experienced one but after reading so many reviews and comments. I decided I preferred the combination of a lightweight crank pulley and a one piece driveshaft instead since it's not recommend to have all three together on a street car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nj kiter View Post
I cant speak from experience as I have an ACT 6 puck in my car, but I too am looking into upgrading a clutch to something that can handle high amounts of torque while hopefully being more user friendly. I was going to try out a twin disk, Im under the assumption that with 2 disk the peddle pressure decreases as the force is shared between two disk. Rather than my single disk clutch which requires more pressure in order to withstand the torque. Can someone agree with my logic or not?
Do you actually "need" a clutch that can take 660 to 755 of torque?! 6 pucks aren't meant to be daily driven...
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 05-08-19, 02:36 AM   #5
MTUBS
Advanced Contributor Level 3

Fav Mod: ELH
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

MTUBS is on a distinguished road

Thanks Noximus - good info. Curious - have you driven a 6 puck? A lot of mixed reviews and half of them say they're very streetable, easy to slip, and not the on / off switch some say they are.

Light weight flywheel, pro-light, is the real problem here. It makes backing up in parking lots a pure pita, steep driveways, etc etc. I even tuned down my RT in that area so I could feather the gas a bit more but, in the end it's just not happening.

I can't say I'm going to miss the other benefits because they didn't stand out to me that much. It may be one of those 'don't what you got till it's gone' type deals though too!
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 05-08-19, 03:12 AM   #6
Noximus

My Subaru Parts for sale

Noximus is just really niceNoximus is just really niceNoximus is just really niceNoximus is just really niceNoximus is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTUBS View Post
Thanks Noximus - good info. Curious - have you driven a 6 puck? A lot of mixed reviews and half of them say they're very streetable, easy to slip, and not the on / off switch some say they are.

Light weight flywheel, pro-light, is the real problem here. It makes backing up in parking lots a pure pita, steep driveways, etc etc. I even tuned down my RT in that area so I could feather the gas a bit more but, in the end it's just not happening.

I can't say I'm going to miss the other benefits because they didn't stand out to me that much. It may be one of those 'don't what you got till it's gone' type deals though too!

I have driven a 6 puck in a 08 STI. It’s why I didn’t go with one. I much prefer the feel of the XDSS on the street. It just feels perfect for me. Once broken in, I only notice the extra stiffness once in a while, but otherwise it feels like a natural STI clutch. I don’t drag or launch or track, and have stopped doing autox since my rebuild. The only comment I guess I could have is that it’s pretty stiff in the winter. You almost have no choice to let the car warm up 5mins on colder days.

I would almost try getting rid of the lightweight flywheel in your case. It’ll probably make you love the XDSS again.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 05-08-19, 04:42 AM   #7
mheyman
Gold Member
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Fav Mod: Camber Camber Camber
My Subaru Parts for sale

mheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noximus View Post
I didn't go with the lightweight flywheel. I've never experienced one but after reading so many reviews and comments. I decided I preferred the combination of a lightweight crank pulley and a one piece driveshaft instead since it's not recommend to have all three together on a street car.
Replying cause of the last line. DS has nothing to do with the rotating parts including and directly connected to your drive shaft, like your flywheel.

As for Lightweight flywheels, Fine for flat-landers. I could see avoiding one if you regularly have to stop and start on hills. I'm a flat-lander, so no real issue here, but a significant difference in rev speed.

Clutch? After two HDSS failures at 10K miles with no abuse what so ever, I'm running a Excedy Hyper single - the lightest rotating assembly I've ever ever run -by fay - light clutch and light fly-wheel. Feel - uh, I get a kick out of it. My son says it's ridiculous. For the first time I think I can tell I have a clutch delay valve that makes the rapid engagement difficult to judge. I'll eliminate it this summer.

Rating. Torque is very low. They must rate it differently from others. When I chose it, the shop sales person just said don't worry about it compared to the HDSS. So it's only rated at a bit over half what you are looking for. Discussing feel cause it is 6 puck and Excedy actually mention that it's fast engagement is intentional. It's a much smaller percentage of pedal travel than my HDss's were. They felt like a stiff stock clutch.

Added:I feel the short engagement actually does make shifting faster possible.

If you think you should have lower r's at cruise you're in the wrong car

I become a more loyal IAG customer every time I drive my STI

Last edited by mheyman; 05-08-19 at 07:34 PM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 05-08-19, 08:36 AM   #8
Noximus

My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by mheyman View Post
Replying cause of the last line. DS has nothing to do with the rotating parts including and directly connected to your drive shaft, like your flywheel.

You’re saying a CF DS doesn’t reduce your rotational mass? Really? What clutch for DD with 550 + torque

There have been documented issues when using a CF DS, 12lbs lightweight flywheel, and a lightweight crank pulley. They have fixed it by going with a heavier lightweight flywheel, return to the OEM flywheel, return to the OEM crank pulley or to a Fluidampr crank pulley.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 05-08-19, 02:08 PM   #9
[email protected]
Authorized Vendor

Car: 2011 STI Sedan
Fav Mod: Arcflash LLC Ohlins Coilovers
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

joshua@arcflashllc is on a distinguished road

If you drive around in neutral it might cause problems..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noximus View Post
You’re saying a CF DS doesn’t reduce your rotational mass? Really? What clutch for DD with 550 + torque

There have been documented issues when using a CF DS, 12lbs lightweight flywheel, and a lightweight crank pulley. They have fixed it by going with a heavier lightweight flywheel, return to the OEM flywheel, return to the OEM crank pulley or to a Fluidampr crank pulley.
SPL Suspension Components
Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Old 05-08-19, 02:37 PM   #10
Noximus

My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
If you drive around in neutral it might cause problems..

Yes, well some of the issues were misfires at idle while sitting in traffic, etc.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement