Cobb intake
Cobb ap
Cobb 1050 inj
Cobb ebc
Cobb fuel pumperino
Cobb 20g
Cobb stickers x20
Invidia exhaust from turbo all the way back

I been having a very difficult time finding a shop that wants to work with me. I don't want my daily driver to become a race kor. But shops keep telling me to buy a cheap Honda and just urinate cash away into my sti. Nobody wants to do small, fun, stage 1 iag builds. Everyone thinks they can just push everyone towards some ridiculous stage 3 build for nearly 18 grand.

When my engine blew it was stage 2 Cobb only, stock turbo with a pro tune. Then I bought those juicy goodies to get ready for my engine build coming up.

I found this one shop though. He wants to do a Type RA shortblawk with half inch head studs. I can't find a single drop of Intel anywhere on the useless internet about people running 20g turbos through the RA, and considering the fact im keeping my factory heads I'm scared I'll just blow it right back up. And I can't afford to be a pioneer in this industry.

I guess I don't really know what I'm tryna get out of this forum. We all know what I have to do.
Maybe I can just keep updating you guys on my build and how it's going.

I think my next move will be to just buy a stage 1 blawk and have it shipped to my house then just take all my parts to Mofab and have those gents take care of what I can't do.

I'm in Colorado.... Subaru capital USA and go figure the best shops are way too far from me. Funk E built and boost creep are the reputable shops im talking about. And the shop I mentioned previously, Mofab, are some really good guys and very experienced tuners as well as builders, but I'm afraid they only want to work with high profile spenders. Which im not complaining about, they build serious cars. I just want someone to take my money lol

Anyway this is my story and if anyone has any good info im ears open
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-19, 05:42 PM   #2
Jay11STI
Advanced Mastery Level I
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Car: 2011 SWP STi Sedan
Fav Mod: EWG & The Look On Your Face
My Subaru Parts for sale

Jay11STI has a spectacular aura aboutJay11STI has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Nasblmao

If a shop is pushing you to go all out, they aren't listening to the customer. I dont see why they wouldnt want to do a built iag block and average power levels. Its not their car, its yours, remember that!
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 04-12-19, 07:03 PM   #3
yamahaSHO
BROtuner
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Car: 2005 WRB
Fav Mod: Equal Length Header
My Subaru Parts for sale

yamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant future

For a 20G, a stock block and ARP 2000's with a good tune will work fine.

Also in Colorado here... I don't use shops aside from renting a dyno.

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-19, 07:16 PM   #4
Leemanfor
Master Contributor Level 1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Fav Mod: EFR 7163 Turbo
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Leemanfor has a spectacular aura aboutLeemanfor has a spectacular aura about

Funk e built quoted me 7k for a basic built block. Mofab really only cares about big builds because they know you will most likely have issues and it's an easy revenue stream
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 04-12-19, 07:18 PM   #5
Leemanfor
Master Contributor Level 1

Fav Mod: EFR 7163 Turbo
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Leemanfor has a spectacular aura aboutLeemanfor has a spectacular aura about

Also, who the fuck thinks RA block with half inch headstuds is ok? What shop is that?
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 04-13-19, 09:43 AM   #6
IAmActuallyACat
Becoming A Contributor

Fav Mod: Coming Soon
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

IAmActuallyACat is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leemanfor View Post
Funk e built quoted me 7k for a basic built block. Mofab really only cares about big builds because they know you will most likely have issues and it's an easy revenue stream
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leemanfor View Post
Also, who the fuck thinks RA block with half inch headstuds is ok? What shop is that?
Yea I pretty much uncovered Mofabs business strategy after trying to work with them. Constantly recommending more and more and more and more. But they do good work. And they are genuinely good dudes. But yea they are above my income levels.
I really really wanna go support funk e builts business cause they seem to target my kind of audience, the whole, "fun daily driver, but not all out" typa work. But they are like 2 hours from where I live. And that's a huge tow truck payment.

- there's a smol shop with only 2 locations very close to where I live called speedy roo performance. The guy said the type ra shorty is similar to an iag s1 so long as you put some juicier studs in.
And I said, "like what, half inch"
He didn't even laugh he just said yes. So im really having a hard time thinking I should trust this place. But im gonna keep talking to him.

Maybe he'll do an iag for me.
The thing about the type ra is.... what if Subaru is trying to get rid of all those type ra engines they made because it pissed off the entire loyal fanbase and need to get rid of them, are shops getting commissions for selling motors that will just ringland into the atmosphere?
Not to mention all the new sti's are just all gonna have these bottom ends. The point of iag is to not be factory if you're gonna spend money.

Maybe I'll just tow my car up to funk e built. I hate the weekends cause no shops are open. I haven't yet been able to talk to anybody in person. Except mofab, but I can't afford them lol
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 04-13-19, 09:57 AM   #7
IAmActuallyACat
Becoming A Contributor

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Actually im closer to funk e than I thought. Still an hour but there's a good tow company right next to me so I guess I'll just do updates on an iag stage 1
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 04-13-19, 10:40 AM   #8
yamahaSHO
BROtuner

My Subaru Parts for sale

yamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmActuallyACat View Post

- there's a smol shop with only 2 locations very close to where I live called speedy roo performance. The guy said the type ra shorty is similar to an iag s1 so long as you put some juicier studs in.
He didn't even laugh he just said yes. So im really having a hard time thinking I should trust this place. But im gonna keep talking to him.
Lulz... You can find the differences of the RA (also current regular STi motor) posted on this site or NASIOC. But I'd stop talking to that guy, the RA motor is not exactly "stout".

If you're just buying a new short block, you don't need a shop to do this. You seem to be setting yourself up for a bad, and expensive time with little to show for it.

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 04-13-19, 01:49 PM   #9
IAmActuallyACat
Becoming A Contributor

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamahaSHO View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmActuallyACat View Post

Lulz... You can find the differences of the RA (also current regular STi motor) posted on this site or NASIOC. But I'd stop talking to that guy, the RA motor is not exactly "stout".

If you're just buying a new short block, you don't need a shop to do this. You seem to be setting yourself up for a bad, and expensive time with little to show for it.
Any rebuild is expensive my dude. And im not looking to build anything really fast. It's not that bad
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 04-13-19, 02:10 PM   #10
yamahaSHO
BROtuner

My Subaru Parts for sale

I've done a few rebuilds in my life and have a pretty good idea of what they cost. I've rebuilt my motor and tried a couple different turbos and none of it is what I would consider, "expensive".

I realize you're not looking to build something fast. Hence why I've made the comments I have.

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement