Go Back   STI Forums > > > Nasblmao

Old 04-16-19, 01:22 PM   #21
yamahaSHO
BROtuner
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Car: 2005 WRB
Fav Mod: Equal Length Header
My Subaru Parts for sale

yamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant future
Default Re: Nasblmao

In all seriousness, you'll get slap. Different mounts make it worse. Both Leemanfor and I have Group-N mounts and it increases noise in the cabin.

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-19, 01:49 PM   #22
Leemanfor
Master Contributor Level 2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Fav Mod: EFR 7163 Turbo
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Leemanfor has a spectacular aura aboutLeemanfor has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmActuallyACat View Post
Nooooooooo staahp lol

I haven't even got the new sb yet and I'm already thinking about checking the oil lol
haha.

Yeah its horrible in the winter, especially when its ~15 to 25 degrees. I actually had my DAM drop cause I got lazy and left before it warmed up and it thought it was knocking
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 04-17-19, 03:56 AM   #23
mheyman
Gold Member
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Fav Mod: Camber Camber Camber
My Subaru Parts for sale

mheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of light

^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

I have one of the very first IAG blocks machined in house. I'm not saying that was good or bad, but it was quiet for almost 20K Now nearing 40K when very cold, say under 20F it sounds like a diesel, but not even for a minute. Like Yamaha I might have been served as well with a stock block. My car is not what we consider high power these days.

Recently I've gained a new noise - which might be rod knock Comes and goes, only when hot at idle. I need to decide whether to pull it apart before it goes. With the WRX and Race Van (Savana) on the road we would have a spare car, though the Savana is not an Ideal commuter car for me.

If you think you should have lower r's at cruise you're in the wrong car

I become a more loyal IAG customer every time I drive my STI

Last edited by mheyman; 04-17-19 at 03:59 AM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-19, 04:36 AM   #24
GRHatchWorldTrvlr
Active Participant

Fav Mod: Coming Soon
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

GRHatchWorldTrvlr is an unknown quantity at this point

Definitely following. Please keep me posted. I’m fairly new to the community and dreaming about when I start tuning. I have even went on IAG and Cosworth websites to look at small blocks for a replacement when mine eventually goes to greener pastures. This has been an interesting read and looking forward to updates.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 04-17-19, 07:08 AM   #25
Leemanfor

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by mheyman View Post
^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

I have one of the very first IAG blocks machined in house. I'm not saying that was good or bad, but it was quiet for almost 20K Now nearing 40K when very cold, say under 20F it sounds like a diesel, but not even for a minute. Like Yamaha I might have been served as well with a stock block. My car is not what we consider high power these days.

Recently I've gained a new noise - which might be rod knock Comes and goes, only when hot at idle. I need to decide whether to pull it apart before it goes. With the WRX and Race Van (Savana) on the road we would have a spare car, though the Savana is not an Ideal commuter car for me.
im at 25k on my block, and I've noticed that even at warm it slaps at idle a bit.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 04-17-19, 07:13 AM   #26
yamahaSHO
BROtuner

My Subaru Parts for sale

yamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant future

I'm around 5k and it's a little noticeable when warm in the lower RPM range. My plan is to get what I can get out of this motor before likely going back to a stick block or a closed deck, with tighter clearances.

I do think the Manley drop-in pistons are undersized... I could see that after install when I could see the top of the compression ring when the piston was lower in the cylinder.

Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Old 04-17-19, 02:49 PM   #27
IAmActuallyACat
Becoming A Contributor

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

IAmActuallyACat is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamahaSHO View Post
I'm around 5k and it's a little noticeable when warm in the lower RPM range. My plan is to get what I can get out of this motor before likely going back to a stick block or a closed deck, with tighter clearances.

I do think the Manley drop-in pistons are undersized... I could see that after install when I could see the top of the compression ring when the piston was lower in the cylinder.
Have you ever helped someone from the forums do a rebuild before? Is that something that interests you?

I can't do a build in my neighborhood so I'd have to do it wherever you build your motors. It'd be nice to avoid the fees of a shop, but I wouldn't mind paying something for your help.

I can afford a shortblock right now. I just can't afford the shop labor on top.

People on this site really seem to admire your nawlidge with these kors so that's why im asking
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 04-17-19, 02:51 PM   #28
Leemanfor

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:

agreed.

cant wait to send this block in and get it Closed deck. then we can turn this bitch up!
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 04-18-19, 07:32 AM   #29
yamahaSHO
BROtuner

My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmActuallyACat View Post
Quote:

Have you ever helped someone from the forums do a rebuild before? Is that something that interests you?

I can't do a build in my neighborhood so I'd have to do it wherever you build your motors. It'd be nice to avoid the fees of a shop, but I wouldn't mind paying something for your help.

I can afford a shortblock right now. I just can't afford the shop labor on top.

People on this site really seem to admire your nawlidge with these kors so that's why im asking
Once I have my large garage space built, I might be more willing to help with this stuff, but currently, I can't help without putting myself out and I am unwilling to do that anymore.

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 04-23-19, 11:02 AM   #30
IAmActuallyACat
Becoming A Contributor

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

IAmActuallyACat is an unknown quantity at this point

My last update until im ready to actually do the build. Then once I do I'll start posting info on how it went and things to look out for.

People usually only post when their having issues, I'd like to do the opposite. I also feel this could help other people who want to avoid race car type rebuilds.

I went over to speedy roo to at least check out the shop, cause I didn't get a very good impression from Google maps. It looked like any ordinary independent shop. It turned out to be a really cool legit Subaru tuner shop, they were even having a dyno day weekend with dozens of built sti's including some rare subarus.
I ended up talking to Dave and he was pretty genuine.
We talked about the type ra swaps and how people are loving them.

Perrin inlet
Fuel stumble kit
Cobb intake
Cobb ap
Cobb 1050 inj
Cobb 3 port bcs
Spark plugs
Hks bov for the lolz
Invidia ridiculous dual tip exhaust from turbo back
Cobb 20g
Equal length headers :c <- super sad face
Secondary air block offs
Tgv deletes
Killer b oil pan upgrades
ARP2000 head studs

I'll most likely have it tuned by Boostcreep a little further upstate from me. And I'll really let them at it as many times as they need until they feel it's got a bullet proof tune. I'm also going the e85 route. But I'll most likely never buy anything from Cobb ever again. Over priced rebranded parts

And I swear to f**** g** if it blows up again im going to drive it off a cliff

See you guys in a couple months!
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement