ooookay, help needed with fuel system for build... - Page 4 - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
ooookay, help needed with fuel system for build...
ooookay, help needed with fuel system for build...
Go Back   STI Forums > > > ooookay, help needed with fuel system for build...

Old 12-18-18, 10:44 AM   #31
UrdnotWrexSTi
Donating Member
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Car: Aspen White GR STi
Fav Mod: Coilovers
My Subaru Parts for sale

UrdnotWrexSTi will become famous soon enough
Default Re: ooookay, help needed with fuel system for build...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTSparky View Post
Correct. But it also depends on HOW you are hardwiring your pump. My preferred method is still to use the subaru controller, just with bigger power lines and a relay and breaker. If you don't know what I'm talking about then there is a whole other level to think about. the PWM controller on subaru turns the pump on and off to simulate giving 33%, 66% or 100% of power. This is designed so that you don't burn out your pump motor.

If he is going to run parallel lines then a stumble kit is not needed. Correctly done parallel lines eliminates the stumble naturally, although radium and I think? IAG make rails with the ability to put fuel dampeners in if you want to.

Also from the first post edit I wanted to state that the OP has made a MAJOR decision. a 1.5xtr is NOT a 71lb/ min turbo. Far from it. it is a 49lb/ min turbo.

I know. I said the stumble kit if he chooses not to run IAG rails, because it wouldn't be necessary to upgrade the fuel lines on a 1.5xtr

Last edited by UrdnotWrexSTi; 12-18-18 at 10:49 AM.
Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-18, 12:22 PM   #32
got2boostit2
Administrator
Feedback Score: 18 reviews

Fav Mod: Hands down - Q Rack FTMFW Boy eee
My Subaru Parts for sale

got2boostit2 is a name known to allgot2boostit2 is a name known to allgot2boostit2 is a name known to allgot2boostit2 is a name known to allgot2boostit2 is a name known to allgot2boostit2 is a name known to all

Hardly anyone comes across correctly on the interwebs and that is why some forums have Moderators. If needed, I can return this entire conversation to civility with a few keystrokes.

Does that need to happen? OP, what do you think? It was/is your thread.

"Lucille" is Sponsored by: Butler's Garage
Protune video
https://youtu.be/Xyx6G1yXqKc

If you have issues with moderation or other members, report the post or use the Private Support Forum to discuss. Located => https://www.iwsti.com/forums/private-support-forum/
Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Old 12-18-18, 12:27 PM   #33
cmross13
Contributor
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Fav Mod: Coming Soon
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

cmross13 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got2Boostit2 View Post
Hardly anyone comes across correctly on the interwebs and that is why some forums have Moderators. If needed, I can return this entire conversation to civility with a few keystrokes.

Does that need to happen? OP, what do you think? It was/is your thread.
No no not by any means. I’m an adult and know how to let things like this go. Besides that, I’ve already made my mind up on what I’m doing with the car, at least for the next few months.

Moving forward I’ll seek mod/build consultation elsewhere.

Thanks for the help
Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-18, 06:51 AM   #34
mheyman
Premium Member
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Fav Mod: Camber Camber Camber! Power! Wide ratio gearing! The rest is just support :)
My Subaru Parts for sale

mheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of light

I was reprimanded for being harsh, probably by by someone else I was harsh to at some point. I'm not apologizing, but neither am I beyond listening to others and attempting to be more diplomatic. However you feel, know that I have at least re-read this thread and thought about it.

I was tempted to quote a lot more here but I'm going to try to summarize:

OP asked questions about fueling a stock intercooler and FBP Black. I took the trouble of learning that it was a "71lb" turbo. and replied:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mheyman View Post
Stop. Since money is not the issue - STOP! Just Stop! until you actually have this figured out! Perhaps someone else will let you know if there is any point at all in having such a big turbo on a stock intercooler. I'm not very knowledgeable about recent years . . . I know the intercoolers changed for the better, but I have doubts if it was enough to run your proposed setup. You'd be pushin a Spearco in a GD, so I suspect your power goals really put you into the FMIC category.
In the very first response to the OP I nailed it and everything that went on on for several pages. He took offense that I made it apparent he didn't know that he was doing and really needed to make other changes. I was not pushing bigger or smaller, but a build that worked together. Really everyone else agreed and eventually even he decided that a different turbo would at least temporarily fit the build better.

I am not what I consider an expert and I'm here primarily to learn myself! I am all for DIYs and I try to help others. But, I have strong doubts about whether the OP has enough time to learn what he needs in the time frame he related. This is why I implored him to seek real assistance. There is plenty of poor advice on the web and as I mentioned, you have to be knowledgeable enough yourself to ferret out the good info, and not to believe me over someone else or vice versa.
IMHO, to justify its' price, the S209 needs to perform at least as well as my moderately powered 05 built beater, and even that might not convince me to buy one cause my next STI isn't likely to be moderately powered.

I'm putting IAG back in here. Engine wise the car hase been trouble free for 56K. My STI is nearing the 60K minimum JJ led meto expect from a 2618 piston equipped block and it's still running strong.

Last edited by mheyman; 12-22-18 at 10:22 AM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 12-22-18, 09:53 AM   #35
CTSparky
Becoming A Master Contributor
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Fav Mod: SS lines and master cyl brace
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

CTSparky is on a distinguished road

You're not wrong. There is a lot of misinformation on the Web and we are trying to prevent people from having problems in the future.

at least the guy realized that he needed to change some things up in order to make everything work.

I am hopeful that eventually the original poster will finally be able to be like us, it person that can help other people make the right decisions.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Old 12-22-18, 10:05 PM   #36
cmross13
Contributor
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Fav Mod: Coming Soon
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

cmross13 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by mheyman View Post
...OP asked questions about fueling a stock intercooler and FBP Black. I took the trouble of learning that it was a "71lb" turbo...

He took offense that I made it apparent he didn't know that he was doing... and eventually even he decided that a different turbo would at least temporarily fit the build better.

...I have strong doubts about whether the OP has enough time to learn what he needs in the time frame he related. This is why I implored him to seek real assistance...
A: I asked for advice on a fuel setup for a build. i don't know what the limits are for the stock fuel lines running from the pump to the rails or for the rails and regulator themselves. i also dont know at what point a surge tank becomes mandatory. additionally, i simply stated that i still have the stock intercooler as i haven't chosen a new TMIC without measuring and didn't want to run a front mount. that ship has sailed and the ETS 3.5" FMIC is on the way. furthermore, rather than risk having to ask any more questions i went ahead with new IAG rails, Aeromotive regulator and IAG engine bay lines. i figured while these upgrades may not be necessary now, they will help to future-proof the car. i can not emphasize this enough: i dont like doing/buying the same thing twice. i guess -8 lines and radium dual pump hanger is next on the agenda, as i would really rather not have a surge tank in the trunk.

B: i didn't take offense to what you said, i just didn't like the way you "said" it. i came here for information, not to be insulted. i am so friggin sick of forum members dismissing peoples questions because they have been asked before("use the search button") or because the person replying feels the need to talk down to someone and assume they are idiots. if you dont have anything constructive to contribute, you dont have to reply. im not aiming this directly at you, just the internet in general.

C: when i originally posted this i was mostly expecting real-world experienced responses in which i could follow the post history and build trail on the responders through their profile. IMHO, its ignorant to call a tuner and expect them to spend an hour on the phone answering my questions knowing full well that they aren't making a dime off the parts/labor for the car. these guys basically make $200-500 an hour to tune a car, which while i would if i had to, i would rather not pay for a consultation. a tuners job is to make the car run safely and hopefully make power at the same time. some tuners are also builders who can comfortably sell me a $25K turn-key solution that may or may not be better than what i can build myself for half the price. in addition, i enjoy the building part of it. i have a full array of professional tools and a full garage at my disposal. i can operate a torque wrench as well as anybody else, so there is no need for me to pay someone else $120/hr. if i cant do it myself, a dear friend has the highest producing subaru repair garage ive ever seen, and he charges me about $40/hr.

so, all that being said, once again i came here for fuel system suggestions. yes, it was a real boner move to forget about fuel system after buying everything else for the build, but i admit my ignorance and started over with a new thread. i had/have no intention of just blindly buying whatever someone said to buy. if i got a response like "well, for the FP Black on 93 octane you're going to want ID2000's, upgraded rails/lines/FPR, something like a Walbro 450 in-tank, and you'll need to upgrade the lines running from the tank to the bay. -6 or -8 should be sufficient." this would warrant further investigation and moved to the "suggestions" column. if someone told me to put toluene in my fuel tank and i would be fine, this would be ignored and forgotten forever. once i have collected all the data, i could then at least approach my tuner with some sort of expectations on what id need to make it all work.

instead, im just going to upgrade everything but my turbo, pump, and injectors so i can get the engine assembled and broken in. once that is done, i'll call Radium and upgrade the fuel lines and pump setup, and start shopping for a turbo or rotated kit.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 12-23-18, 05:16 AM   #37
mheyman
Premium Member
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Fav Mod: Camber Camber Camber! Power! Wide ratio gearing! The rest is just support :)
My Subaru Parts for sale

mheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of light

Glad to see your still here. Your endpoint is ambitious, and I wish you the best with it!
IMHO, to justify its' price, the S209 needs to perform at least as well as my moderately powered 05 built beater, and even that might not convince me to buy one cause my next STI isn't likely to be moderately powered.

I'm putting IAG back in here. Engine wise the car hase been trouble free for 56K. My STI is nearing the 60K minimum JJ led meto expect from a 2618 piston equipped block and it's still running strong.

Last edited by mheyman; 12-23-18 at 05:24 AM. Reason: Sp
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement