Car: Black '11 WRX STi
Fav Mod: AP V3
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

putrio is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Metal in AVCS mechanisms

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrdnotWrexSTi View Post
Why are you cleaning them in the first place? Did you spin a bearing or just wanted to be thorough in your build?
Yup, car was...guzzling oil I guess, and long story short, spun bearing, rod knock. I did manage to get the shims out of the exhaust avcs gears, and I cleaned it all as best as I could. The small pin that aligns the lobed part to the housing I've heard can get sheared off if you use the belt method to remove, or if you use a company 23 tool, and mine both look a little bit bent...but intact. That's what I was going to take a picture of. Since I was able to get the springs and clips out and clean everything, I decided I'll just reuse all four gears. If I'm mistaken in this next bit, please correct me, but I don't think an avcs seizing up or being misaligned will cause a catastrophic failure, so I can hold off on replacing those.

One more note....those exhaust springs are really tough to get back on. I used a set of vice grips about 2/3 the way back around the spring to twist it back into place and used my other hand to fight the bent part of the spring into the center hole. The method worked extremely well on the second one....learning curve, I guess.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-18, 04:00 AM   #12
mheyman
Gold Member
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Fav Mod: Camber Camber Camber
My Subaru Parts for sale

mheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by putrio View Post
I was able to get the springs and clips out and clean everything, I decided I'll just reuse all four gears. If I'm mistaken in this next bit, please correct me, but I don't think an avcs seizing up or being misaligned will cause a catastrophic failure, so I can hold off on replacing those
Although functionality is important, isn't the risk is that a piece of metal gets to a bearing and provides you with the pleasure of redoing the whole experience.

You know how well you cleaned em . . . sounded thorough here I'd still like to know where the brass came from and why it was so embedded. The solenoids are brass?

If you think you should have lower r's at cruise you're in the wrong car

I become a more loyal IAG customer every time I drive my STI
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 11-30-18, 10:53 AM   #13
UrdnotWrexSTi
Silver Member
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Car: Aspen White GR STi
Fav Mod: Coilovers
My Subaru Parts for sale

UrdnotWrexSTi will become famous soon enough

Honestly, these gears are very important to the timing of our engines, so anything seizing inside these gears could eventually lead to failure somewhere. I didn't post on the forum, but I actually underwent a second rebuild due to a burnt valve. Which I attributed to my AVCS exhaust gear being damaged. This made the AFRs lean out under boost and I think is what burnt that valve. Anyway, this time I dropped in an IAG closed deck block and got the heads on a mild build. Now it's making 505hp

Okay, so as far buying new gears, if you're worried something is damaged inside, then learn from me and just replace the whole gear. Like I said they do a lot for the timing of the engine.

Looking at that retainer you took a picture of, it actually doesn't look like brass to me, technically there shouldn't be any. To me it looks like it's copper or some other metal that's in bedded itself in the plastic, and since metal should NOT be anywhere near those gears, I'd say you've probably been burning up a bearing for a little while and it contaminated your whole oiling system. Check your heads for the same metal particles as well, and make sure to check the camshaft journals and the surface where the camshafts ride on. Turbo could also be compromised.

Last edited by UrdnotWrexSTi; 12-01-18 at 04:12 AM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-18, 04:05 AM   #14
mheyman
Gold Member
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Fav Mod: Camber Camber Camber
My Subaru Parts for sale

mheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrdnotWrexSTi View Post
Looking at that retainer you took a picture of, it actually doesn't look like brass to me, technically there shouldn't be any. To me it looks like it's copper or some other metal that's in bedded itself in the plastic, and since metal should NOT be anywhere near those gears, I'd say you've probably been burning up a bearing for a little while and it contaminated your whole oiling system. Check your heads for the same metal particles as well, and make sure to check the camshaft journals and the surface where the camshafts ride on. Turbo could also be compromised.
I could not tell from the pic, but copper makes far more sense than brass - far more since you spun a bearing. Seeing this though it Makes me feel feel much better about IAGs insistence on replacing my cam gears. In fact it was about thew only thing they insisted on, and at the time I thought it might have been over-kill. My car did not spin a bearing, but copper was visible on the bearings themselves. Paying them to clean em would not have been cost effective. They did not push anything else on me.

If you think you should have lower r's at cruise you're in the wrong car

I become a more loyal IAG customer every time I drive my STI
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement