How to clean oil-related components? - Page 2 - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
How to clean oil-related components?
How to clean oil-related components?
Go Back   STI Forums > > > How to clean oil-related components?

Old 11-06-18, 11:09 AM   #11
UrdnotWrexSTi
Silver Member
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Car: Aspen White GR STi
Fav Mod: Coilovers
My Subaru Parts for sale

UrdnotWrexSTi will become famous soon enough
Default Re: How to clean oil-related components?

Quote:
Originally Posted by putrio View Post
I'm curious about this - why is resurfacing necessary?

Also, I got the intake manifold off yesterday (along with the turbo, up-pipe*, starter, secondary air pump and various brackets and shields), and the gasket surfaces have remnants of the gaskets on them. How robust are these surfaces, how hard can I scrub to clean?

*Stock up-pipe has the shell surrounding the ceramic heat shield (or whatever is inside) completely detached from the welds. Is this usable, or do I need a replacement?

Resurfacing ensures the most flat surface possible on the deck on the head, and you want flatness to ensure a perfect head gasket seal. The machinist you use should take off the most minimal amount of material possible to start, then work down by thousandth's of an inch.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-18, 11:13 AM   #12
UrdnotWrexSTi
Silver Member
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Car: Aspen White GR STi
Fav Mod: Coilovers
My Subaru Parts for sale

UrdnotWrexSTi will become famous soon enough
Default Re: How to clean oil-related components?

Quote:
Originally Posted by putrio View Post
Why would I not have the banjo filter, just if I'd done work and removed it previously?

Turbo exhaust side has a crack in the iron housing...but that seems to be somewhat "normal" from what I'm reading online?\

Yes, its common for techs to remove all banjo filters as this is an official SOA service recommendation. If you had your car worked on where any oil related parts were messed with, it's possible the banjo filter were removed.

Yes, wastegate cracks are common for VF turbos. If it's tiny then it's not a problem, but big cracks can turn into an issue.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement