Anyone Used Broken Boxer Repair Engines? - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
Anyone Used Broken Boxer Repair Engines?
Anyone Used Broken Boxer Repair Engines?
Go Back   STI Forums > > > Anyone Used Broken Boxer Repair Engines?

Old 03-14-16, 09:50 AM   #1
Got2Boostit2
Moderator Elite
Feedback Score: 18 reviews

Fav Mod: Hands down - Q Rack FTMFW Boy eee
My Subaru Parts for sale

Got2Boostit2 is a name known to allGot2Boostit2 is a name known to allGot2Boostit2 is a name known to allGot2Boostit2 is a name known to allGot2Boostit2 is a name known to allGot2Boostit2 is a name known to all
Default Anyone Used Broken Boxer Repair Engines?

Anyone had any work done by Broken Boxer Repair or Engines? They are pushing really hard on Facebook.

"Lucille" is Sponsored by: Butler's Garage
Protune video
https://youtu.be/Xyx6G1yXqKc

If you have issues with moderation or other members, report the post or use the Private Support Forum to discuss. Located => https://www.iwsti.com/forums/private-support-forum/

Last edited by Got2Boostit2; 03-14-16 at 10:03 AM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-16, 02:52 PM   #2
Platinum Kingpin
Joined the Conversation
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Car: Silver 2004 WRX STi
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Platinum Kingpin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Anyone Used Broken Boxer Repair Engines?

I'm a long time lurker on this site and rarely see anything where my reply can improve the situation or provide insight that could be helpful to anyone....However, I believe I have some feedback for you.

I've bought thousands of parts throughout the years from many different vendors with generally good to moderately bad experiences. This company, BrokenBoxer, was, for lack of a better term, a nightmare to deal with.

Please take my review with a grain of salt since my order was somewhere around April of 2014 and this is only one data point for this company. I'm sure they produce quality parts and services. My experience could be an outlier that is not normal for their operations. Things like personnel, management, and processes might have changed since then. My standards on car parts are high, but within reason. I generally expect good quality on anything I purchase especially when compared to the item description.

Enough with the prefacing.

I purchased a set of heads for my 2000 RS25 that was up for a head-gasket replacement as it showed signs of the famous slow oil leak on the underside. Before ordering I asked many questions about what the heads come with, what to expect, and what kind of work they preformed before shipping. From the item description and conversations these heads were to be cleaned, decked, light valve job, and assembled.

The business was very responsive to my emails and questions before I purchased the heads which was encouraging. After I found all of the issues with the heads I quickly wanted to return them. This is when getting a hold of anyone at the company became difficult, but as to be expected. Every moment spent talking to me would not be profitable as I wanted all of my money back and shipping paid. My first request for a full refund was quickly denied. After making the point one of the heads had not been decked my refund request had been accepted. The shipping was at my expense in both directions, which perturbed me that the return shipping was not covered in the refund.

In short, I would not recommend this company to a friend based upon my experience. What I received did not meet my expectations. Please refer to the attached photos.

Packaging: The heads were shrink wrapped and placed in a small box without any packing material or protection from damage during shipping. The boxes had many holes from the studs and spark plug tubes poking through. In fact the tubes were partially showing through the box.

Packaging Damage: As to be expected the spark plug tubes were bent at the very edge that was protruding from the box. Edges of the head along the mating interface had dings that raised the material that could potentially degrade the head gasket seal. I stopped my inspection there.

Gasket Mating Surface: One head had been decked but had corrosion on the surface along one corner. The other head had not been decked and had a light indentation where the previous head gasket had been installed.

Cleanliness: The heads might have been placed in a parts cleaner, but they still had debris in a few places on the internal components as well as the outside.

Valve Job: I have no reason to believe anything was wrong with the valve sealing interfaces, valve components, or final adjustments as I did not inspect these areas/components. However, one head had aluminum removed around one of the exhaust valves with material protruding. I do not believe this to effect form fit or function, merely a workmanship/cosmetic issues that is easily fixed.

Exhaust Studs: The studs that came on the head were not usable since they were badly corroded at the ends. This is as to be expected on a older model engine. However, I expected these to be replaced if they were in this state of disrepair.

Last edited by Platinum Kingpin; 03-15-16 at 03:14 PM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 03-15-16, 03:14 PM   #3
Got2Boostit2
Moderator Elite
Feedback Score: 18 reviews

Fav Mod: Hands down - Q Rack FTMFW Boy eee
My Subaru Parts for sale

Got2Boostit2 is a name known to allGot2Boostit2 is a name known to allGot2Boostit2 is a name known to allGot2Boostit2 is a name known to allGot2Boostit2 is a name known to allGot2Boostit2 is a name known to all

Thanks.

"Lucille" is Sponsored by: Butler's Garage
Protune video
https://youtu.be/Xyx6G1yXqKc

If you have issues with moderation or other members, report the post or use the Private Support Forum to discuss. Located => https://www.iwsti.com/forums/private-support-forum/
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-16, 05:47 AM   #4
GearOnePerformance
Authorized Vendor

Fav Mod: Coming Soon
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

GearOnePerformance is an unknown quantity at this point

I can confirm with Platinum Kingpin our experience pretty much mirrors his but with an engine. The product was sub par and the customer service was difficult at best. We used them once for a customer engine and will never use them again.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 10-29-16, 12:07 PM   #5
Beefajita
Joined the Conversation

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Beefajita is an unknown quantity at this point

Yup, my experience has been poor.
I did an engine with BBR and i wish i hadn't. Crank and cam Seals not installed straight. Permanent oil leak from one head, 3000 miles on new motor.
Wish I had done nothing or found different shop.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 11-09-18, 10:44 AM   #6
snowphun
Joined the Conversation

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

snowphun is an unknown quantity at this point

Bumping this from the dead since it's high in the Google results for BBR. Another vote to avoid this company at all cost. Brief story below, longer saga at Why Broken Boxer Repair Sucks - Blog

Broken Boxer boasts about doing quality machine and assembly work and had reasonable answers to my questions before I made my purchase. They were a bit cheaper than IAG, I'd get a set of refreshed heads, seemed like it was worth trying a smaller shop. So I paid over $4200 for a "stage 1 longblock" that had issues from day one, impossible to get the owner or anyone with knowledge on the phone after they had my money. Engine leaked from numerous seals (front main seal, passenger cam shaft, both valve covers), sounded like a tractor all the time, blew Spy Hunter sized clouds of oil smoke at random startups, had miserable leakdown in cylinder #4. Thing was a dud, I spent a lot of time and money chasing down issues trying to make it work before giving up and pulling it out. Sent shortblock to BBR, they have gone silent and still have my block.

I had a quality machine shop inspect the heads, it's pretty clear the heads were not rebuilt, combustion chamber work was some of the worst they'd seen (likely done by hand with a Dremel). Pistons had significant wear on the skirts after 8k miles due to sloppy fit, exhaust valves seats worn to the point that they leaked. Empty promises, lies about shipping, poor craftsmanship, complete lack of communication, avoid this company. I'm sure there are some people who had good luck with BBR, my experience shows they do not stand behind their work and have no intention of owning up to their mistakes. I've since paid for an IAG block and haven't had a single issue, I wish I had done this in the first place.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement