To Read If You're Considering Forged Pistons - Page 2 - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
To Read If You're Considering Forged Pistons
To Read If You're Considering Forged Pistons
Go Back   STI Forums > > > To Read If You're Considering Forged Pistons

Old 05-07-15, 03:20 PM   #11
yamahaSHO
BROtuner
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Car: 2005 WRB
Fav Mod: Equal Length Header
My Subaru Parts for sale

yamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant future
Default Re: To Read If You're Considering Forged Pistons

I can't imagine why you would need more than one reserved spot...

As far as forged pistons, I've found Subaru's seem to be on the loose side. When I built my SHO motor, the PTW clearance with Wiseco pistons seemed to be closer to OEM PTW clearance of a Subaru. On the spare motor I am going to build, I will do a closed deck setup that will include the hone. It looks like you can tighten up the clearances safely doing so.

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-15, 02:15 PM   #12
Toivonen
Super Moderator
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Car: 2013 STi Hatch
Fav Mod: Wicked Performance Group, Killer B stuff, RCE 3w Clubsport Coilovers, 13:1 rack, alignment, bushings
My Subaru Parts for sale

Toivonen will become famous soon enoughToivonen will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamahaSHO View Post
I can't imagine why you would need more than one reserved spot...

As far as forged pistons, I've found Subaru's seem to be on the loose side. When I built my SHO motor, the PTW clearance with Wiseco pistons seemed to be closer to OEM PTW clearance of a Subaru. On the spare motor I am going to build, I will do a closed deck setup that will include the hone. It looks like you can tighten up the clearances safely doing so.
I did it in a haste because I don't know what I want to do with it, but it's a good article to read; even though it's for Hondas the concepts carry over and it's a good primer to read if someone is considering a built motor.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 05-08-15, 02:18 PM   #13
funks
Advanced Mastery Level I
Feedback Score: 13 reviews

My Subaru Parts for sale

funks will become famous soon enough

yamahaSHO - considering you are going closed deck, you'll be running a 99.7X piston then right? I don't believe they have closed deck blocks from any vendor that's at the stock 99.5 bore.

Per Outfront, the close-deck process distorts the cylinder so they bore it to the next size up (usually 99.7X)
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-15, 02:36 PM   #14
murfnamedsmurf
Advanced Mastery Level I
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Car: 2012 DGM STI 5 door
Fav Mod: No car payment
My Subaru Parts for sale

murfnamedsmurf has a spectacular aura aboutmurfnamedsmurf has a spectacular aura aboutmurfnamedsmurf has a spectacular aura about

Also subd. Im all about any thread aimed at clearing up misinformation. Forged may be the way to go or it might not
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 05-08-15, 04:06 PM   #15
yamahaSHO
BROtuner
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Car: 2005 WRB
Fav Mod: Equal Length Header
My Subaru Parts for sale

yamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by funks View Post
yamahaSHO - considering you are going closed deck, you'll be running a 99.7X piston then right? I don't believe they have closed deck blocks from any vendor that's at the stock 99.5 bore.

Per Outfront, the close-deck process distorts the cylinder so they bore it to the next size up (usually 99.7X)
Yes, I will have to step up to a larger piston.

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 05-09-15, 05:19 AM   #16
mheyman
Premium Member
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Fav Mod: Camber Camber Camber! Power! Wide ratio gearing! The rest is just support :)
My Subaru Parts for sale

mheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by funks View Post
I'm looking for proven longevity . . . .

4032AL Pistons for the Subaru Platform = Cosworth, Mahle, Wossner, and Supertech. I want to snag Wossner 4032AL pistons coupled with a closed-deck block from Outfront (and the rest OEM) but they don't make them in 99.75 bore (closed deck process requires machining work so no 99.50 mm).

Want something reliable, doesn't need a rebuild for 100K miles - not building BIG power (as in, we are happy with our stock turbo's, or slightly larger than stock turbo like the DOM 1.5 XTR at most)

You shouldn't need a closed deck block for 1.5?
It's borderline for needing to be built at all?
IMHO, to justify its' price, the S209 needs to perform at least as well as my moderately powered 05 built beater, and even that might not convince me to buy one cause my next STI isn't likely to be moderately powered.

Last edited by mheyman; 05-09-15 at 05:23 AM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 05-09-15, 05:39 AM   #17
Nigel
Developing Advanced Mastery
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Fav Mod: Recaro Sportster CS w/ SAB
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Nigel is on a distinguished road

For an extra 7-800 CD isn't a bad idea especially if you might go even bigger later on.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 05-09-15, 02:50 PM   #18
mheyman
Premium Member
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Fav Mod: Camber Camber Camber! Power! Wide ratio gearing! The rest is just support :)
My Subaru Parts for sale

mheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of light
Default To Read If You're Considering Forged Pistons

Sure, stronger has no drawback if you can afford it, and "recent" blocks do seem weaker. At least Element reinforces all their blocks too. Still not sure its necessary for a 1.5. Never heard that recommendation for a GD block.

Also bigger than a 1.5 is not a 1.5.
IMHO, to justify its' price, the S209 needs to perform at least as well as my moderately powered 05 built beater, and even that might not convince me to buy one cause my next STI isn't likely to be moderately powered.

Last edited by mheyman; 05-10-15 at 07:24 AM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 09-13-18, 12:09 PM   #19
S2000_Europe
Donating Member
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

S2000_Europe is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Re: To Read If You're Considering Forged Pistons

Why Subaru blocks has problems with forged pistons, many OEM brands, honda for example, has forged pistons and theirs engines last 100K miles. I made 50K with SC S2000.

It is because the block's design and metal alloy? or the problems comes when making big power +400 WHP and driving the car very hard
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement